• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The high end Chinese Shoe Thread

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you are trying to ask

@Kangnamstyles purchased shoes from Yeossal, Wayman, and Oct. Tenth. I believe he purchased Split Toe Derbies from both Oct. Tenth and Yeossal. He may have picked up a pair of SpTDs from Wayman as well.

If he indeed purchase SpTDs from all three companies (which are produced by the same factory), I'd love to see a side by side of all three models.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to see a thread like this here, was surely about time for it! Been browsing it through, and agree with much that has been said (although you should know that there are more actors in play than what many seem to believe, it's not Xibao who makes everything..).

To summarise my general view on the high-end Chinese makers, would be something like:
+ Excellent constructions and materials (especially the internal materials, heels etc, upper leather can vary a bit more although usually also good) for the price
+ Good flexibility and options from most makers
+ Getting more and more accessible also for international customers, this will continue to improve
---
- Finishing needs to be improved in general, to really make stuff comparable to the best European or Japanese
- The brands need to be better at finding their own identities, not just to copy-paste models from various famous brands shoes which is too often the case. Quality/price-ratio surely will attract people, but to be successful long term there have to be brand identities as well

I have a lazyman on order from Acme Shoemaker (note that Acme is a workshop and brand set up by the people behind Medallion shoes, so not only ordering stuff from existing place), which will be very interesting to receive. Made a modified last to suit my feet, always a bit risky to do semi bespoke/MTM without meeting the lastmaker, just sending measurements and feet tracing done by myself, hopefully it will work out well. Getting them in a month or so.

Last edited:

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to see a thread like this here, was surely about time for it! Been browsing it through, and agree with much that has been said (although you should know that there are more actors in play than what many seem to believe, it's not Xibao who makes everything..).

To summarise my general view on the high-end Chinese makers, would be something like:
+ Excellent constructions and materials (especially the internal materials, heels etc, upper leather can vary a bit more although usually also good) for the price
+ Getting more and more accessible also for international customers, this will continue to improve
---
- Finishing needs to be improved in general, to really make stuff comparable to the best European or Japanese
- The brands need to be better at finding their own identities, not just to copy-paste models from various famous brands shoes which is too often the case. Quality/price-ratio surely will attract people, but to be successful long term there have to be brand identities as well

I have a lazyman on order from Acme Shoemaker (note that Acme is a workshop and brand set up by the people behind Medallion shoes, so not only ordering stuff from existing place), which will be very interesting to receive. Made a modified last to suit my feet, always a bit risky to do semi bespoke/MTM without meeting the lastmaker, just sending measurements and feet tracing done by myself, hopefully it will work out. Getting them in a month or so.

Well those actors are possibly providing little nuances (their own lasts would be my guess), so the differences I would imagine would be miniscule. Saying that, having no first hand knowledge across any of the Chinese brands, I am extremely intrigued about hearing people's reactions to the shoes.

We were discussing ACME previously, perhaps another thread, so I would presume more than a handful of individuals would like detailed information regarding your experience with their shoes. Principally, how they can compare within their price segment.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well those actors are possibly providing little nuances (their own lasts would be my guess), so the differences I would imagine would be miniscule. Saying that, having no first hand knowledge across any of the Chinese brands, I am extremely intrigued about hearing people's reactions to the shoes.

We were discussing ACME previously, perhaps another thread, so I would presume more than a handful of individuals would like detailed information regarding your experience with their shoes. Principally, how they can compare within their price segment.

Not sure I understand the first sentence there. What I meant was that there are quite many workshops/factories in China making this type of shoes, and for example that "all" brands aren't made by Xibao, which many seem to believe. Some may look similar, for whatever reasons (sometimes since the people behind the workshops comes from the same larger factories etc. from the beginning, who moved to Vietnam or Laos etc. when production costs in China went up, and these people needed to start their own business to survive), and surely some workshops do shoes for several brands, but there's many around.

Yeah will do a large buyer's guide/review on the blog once I get them, and pin out all I can. And will surely share stuff here as well.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure I understand the first sentence there. What I meant was that there are quite many workshops/factories in China making this type of shoes, and for example that "all" brands aren't made by Xibao, which many seem to believe. Some may look similar, for whatever reasons (sometimes since the people behind the workshops comes from the same larger factories etc. from the beginning, who moved to Vietnam or Laos etc. when production costs in China went up, and these people needed to start their own business to survive), and surely some workshops do shoes for several brands, but there's many around.

Yeah will do a large buyer's guide/review on the blog once I get them, and pin out all I can. And will surely share stuff here as well.

My apologies as I thought you were referring to the companies we had referenced earlier. Those being, Wayman, Oct. Tenth, Mori, and Yeossal along with their own label Xibao.
So the "actors" I specified previously would be the collaborateurs working with Xibao.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My apologies as I thought you were referring to the companies we had referenced earlier. Those being, Wayman, Oct. Tenth, Mori, and Yeossal along with their own label Xibao.
So the "actors" I specified previously would be the collaborateurs working with Xibao.

Yeah I meant in general, those brands above and others that have been mentioned in this thread. Even if I know who make for who, in many cases I don’t state it if it’s not something the brands are open with themselves. In this case, several brands that have been mentioned as being made by Xibao aren’t, hence my comment.

bsarosi

Reaction score
Yeah I meant in general, those brands above and others that have been mentioned in this thread. Even if I know who make for who, in many cases I don’t state it if it’s not something the brands are open with themselves. In this case, several brands that have been mentioned as being made by Xibao aren’t, hence my comment.

Can you at least share which are not made by Xibao that many think are?

Kangnamstyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Kangnamstyles purchased shoes from Yeossal, Wayman, and Oct. Tenth. I believe he purchased Split Toe Derbies from both Oct. Tenth and Yeossal. He may have picked up a pair of SpTDs from Wayman as well.

If he indeed purchase SpTDs from all three companies (which are produced by the same factory), I'd love to see a side by side of all three models.
Lol no I didn’t get sptds from each brand. Mine are all different models. Maybe one day in the future. I think @vriche has ordered sptds from two of those brands coming.

WilYa

Reaction score

---

I have a lazyman on order from Acme Shoemaker (note that Acme is a workshop and brand set up by the people behind Medallion shoes, so not only ordering stuff from existing place), which will be very interesting to receive. Made a modified last to suit my feet, always a bit risky to do semi bespoke/MTM without meeting the lastmaker, just sending measurements and feet tracing done by myself, hopefully it will work out well. Getting them in a month or so.
Just to chime in, Jesper is 100% right
1. There are many more players you can think of, e.g. Jimjun also does spectacular work and has many OEM orders
2. ACME is totally independent though funded by Medallion, they have their workshop just outside Beijing. The workshop is truly stunning, as some of us had a sneak peek in the Bilibili video. It is managed by Tang who was a partner of Xibao's brand (then TGC now OT) before joining Medallion in late 2018. Therefore, OT and ACME do have some resemblances.
3. I totally agree with the brand/style identities. But it is really a long way to go.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't follow close enough, but just look on taobao, there definitely are a lot of chinese shoe maker (especially on the lower end)

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this is the first info I find on Mattina, no IG though, guess they're not interested in oversea

this is hephaestus?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads