• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The high end Chinese Shoe Thread

WilYa

Reaction score
Does Takumi make anybody else think of Xibao?

IMO the makers in Shanghai, much like the Mallorca ones, resemble each other quite significantly

these two?

Correct

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there any differences (construction/ leather wise) between Xibao's own shoes/ Wayman/ Yeossal/ SoH HW?
They priced slightly different also.

My last experience with Xibao isn't great (which is a while ago), but kind of interested in these new product lines.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there any differences (construction/ leather wise) between Xibao's own shoes/ Wayman/ Yeossal/ SoH HW?
They priced slightly different also.

My last experience with Xibao isn't great (which is a while ago), but kind of interested in these new product lines.

I don't own a single Chinese shoe from this manufacturer (or any really.. At least not yet), but from what I read it appears they all share the same build, and materials. The Last appears to be the only differentiating factor.

boot_owl

Reaction score
a very nice video about how a pair of ACME is made (unfortunately not in English) https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV115411h7GE/
Almost all handwelted makers in Shanghai use the same method except the outsole is hand-stiched in the case of ACME

this is a fantastic video, lots of time spent on pretty much all the stages. Makes me want to hand stitch some outsoles lol

Royal_Airforce

Reaction score
Does Takumi make anybody else think of Xibao?
I highly suspect that it’s Xibao. Esp given it’s similarity to another HK brand (with also a Japanese name) who used Xibao as well (tho the diff is that the other HK brand is said to design its last with a fake bespoke maker, and that its initiator is know as a bespoke shoe aficionado as opposed to that of Takumi whom isn’t one as far as i know)

Guccinski L.V.

Reaction score
IMHO Asian made shoes are aching more to Japanese designs or Gaziano styles. If I ever purchase Asian made shoes it would be not for construction or leather quality or the price, but solely for they superior style and refinement of the sole, heel and overall last shape.
I am baffled how people in this thread can not see the difference between generic character-less TLB Mallorca and some of the examples pictures here.

Last edited:

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMHO Asian made shoes are aching more to Japanese designs or Gaziano styles. If I ever purchase Asian made shoes it would be not for construction or leather quality or the price, but solely for they superior style and refinement of the sole, heel and overall last shape.
I am baffled how people in this thread can not see the difference between generic character-less TLB Mallorca and some of the examples pictures here.

im sure everyone sees the difference...it might just not be what they stylistically want. We all have different tastes (and usage occasions). I mean I can’t imagine ever being caught wearing shoes like in your profile photo..

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What would you prefer, more italian, like AM?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess another appeal is I’m getting model that I can’t get traction with other than GMTO with basically no MTO charge and handwelted

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also aesthetic wise they’re probably closer to English than Spanish (TLB)

Guccinski L.V.

Reaction score
Stylistically Asian shoes outside of Japan are all over the place. They copycat Meccariello lasts and heels and beveled waist, Gaziano lasts, Japanese small bespoke makers lasts for those really chiseled small volume shoes. They borrow from Bestetti and from Cleverly bespoke. So if to give them credit they do pick the best of the best to copy.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don’t think they’re that much all over the place, at least Xibao is pretty consistent English/Japanese

edit: though I guess the patina can be quite italian

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads