• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The high end Chinese Shoe Thread

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
probably both, always thought the point of speed hook is you can do it quickly, and this just feels both high and spaced tightly, though I can see it if you definitely want it under cuffed denim

so my thinking of getting speed hooks is a bit different.. I have wide feet and a high instep.. due to which in most boots i have to remove the laces from the top eyelet and then loosen the laces so that my foot goes in comfortable..

i don't mind loosening and tightening the laces.. but i hate taking the lace out of the top eyelet (sometime 2) and putting them in again eveytime. A solution is longer laces, but then when i tie up longer laces then it sometimes looks bad as they dangling around.

hence i prefer the 3 speed hooks. for me lacing them is much easier... So for me personally, the position does not matter.. as long as they are there and are sturdy.. i am happy

and it not showing under some slight high cuffed denim is a bonus

too_poor_for_this

Reaction score
@aj2603 did Peng send you a message/pictures of the boots when they were done? Hopefully he can work with me at that point to help me skirt by some nasty duties/customs charges ?

aj2603

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@aj2603 did Peng send you a message/pictures of the boots when they were done? Hopefully he can work with me at that point to help me skirt by some nasty duties/customs charges ?

Peng posted these on Instagram when they were done. I don’t know about duties/customs requests. But he said he will ship them and share the tracking details after compulsory quarantine (no idea what that means or involves). Hopefully I will be getting them soon ...

Psyko

Reaction score
Interesting similarities in last and pattern between Acme and Jimjun on their SpTD's:

Screenshot_20201130-193117_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201130-193135_Samsung Internet.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201130-193117_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201130-193117_Chrome.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 53

Psyko

Reaction score
My intention wasn't to speculate on whether they are the same maker, which I didn't think they were. It was more my cheapo tendencies that wanted to show that one could get similar aesthetics to the Acme pair for a more 'reasonable' price.

I might just end up splurging on the Acme pair, after all, though if the Jimjun's are this similar I might not...

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just realized TGC is selling the Oct Tenth on their Taobao Store, only have a few models, 3700 to 4000 RMB. (MTO price including test shoes based on the description, no shoe trees, shoe trees are extra 500)

Psyko

Reaction score
So what are the advantages of Jimjuns handwelting option compared to the advanced GYW construction (which Meccarillio also offers)?

Asked another way: What will stitching the insole to the welt by hand allow the maker to improve on, compared to stitching the insole and welt by machine?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just realized TGC is selling the Oct Tenth on their Taobao Store, only have a few models, 3700 to 4000 RMB. (MTO price including test shoes based on the description, no shoe trees, shoe trees are extra 500)

so just on top of my head, SoH OctTenth is actually cheaper? (I would assume OT Taobao store doesn't include international shipping, and international shipping with test shoes would be quite a bit, i.e. ship twice)

if that's the case, then I think they're doing it right (if you undercut your retailer then people eventually drop you)

wklq76a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so just on top of my head, SoH OctTenth is actually cheaper? (I would assume OT Taobao store doesn't include international shipping, and international shipping with test shoes would be quite a bit, i.e. ship twice)

if that's the case, then I think they're doing it right (if you undercut your retailer then people eventually drop you)

What’s the model availability like on Taobao? One of the things that’s keeping me from going with SoH right now is a limited range of makes.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What’s the model availability like on Taobao? One of the things that’s keeping me from going with SoH right now is a limited range of makes.
They're talking about the SoH Oct Tenth handwelted line.

wklq76a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're talking about the SoH Oct Tenth handwelted line.

I know. The SoH OT MTO page lists the models available, and it doesn’t seem to include all that I’ve seen from Xibao/OT/Yeossal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads