• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Harmonious Equation for suit wearers

Lear

Reaction score
I keep on returning to the same theme: that some posters on SF always look great in whatever suit they wear. Their faces are usually obscured, so it can't be that. I now believe that there's a sort of harmonious equation at work here. Rather like the Golden Ratio, but less complicated. Trini, Holdfast and Parker are such examples. I would also mention Voxsartia, but he was particularly cruel about my first and only pic on SF... I don't think that I can ever forgive him. The psychiatrists at the secure unit said it would've tipped any sane man over the edge. The fact that Fuuma joined in the mocking didn't help either. Anyway, Larry (in charge of restraining straps and electrodes) says I should now try to see the good in people. But back to the equation... height alone isn't it, as some taller men look spindly and spiteful in their suits (and I'm not one to stereotype). A wide pectoral expanse can't be it either, as many built like this appear stodgy, wobbly and violently menacing. In fact the bigger the muscles, the more they remind me of Russian Mafia. The best suits that money can buy definitely ain't it, as many still look like Bulgarian coach drivers. So, what is it? Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could input our personal specifications into such an equation. Once it had concluded, 'Lear will always look like crap', I'd have saved myself a fortune, not to mention the time spent here. Lear (waiting for the MÃ
00a9.png
daille d'Or to dry)

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would sight slim arms as one of the aspects of a good suit that has a "wow factor". Very few of the best dressed here have baggy arm syndrome, which means that average suits look very nicely fitted.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am wearing a bead bracelet today. Should I also wear a felt flower? Please discuss.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood
I would sight slim arms as one of the aspects of a good suit that has a "wow factor". Very few of the best dressed here have baggy arm syndrome, which means that average suits look very nicely fitted.

No, I think what you are seeing here is they there are no creases in their arms. I wouldn't say that any of them particularly have so slim of arms that it is a function of their harmony.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lear
Trini, Holdfast and Parker are such examples.

I'd add NOBD and Spoo to that list. There's certainly something about the proportions of some peoples outfits which makes them look better than others.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What is common about all of them? They are in decent shape. I think people who are in relatively good shape generally look better in suits. Suits are very flattering when done properly, and even more so on nicely shaped people. I think maintenance has a lot to do with it as well. All of these people have very well maintained garments and all void of awkward creasing and wrinkles and such in their photos.

Lear

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
I'd add NOBD and Spoo to that list. There's certainly something about the proportions of some peoples outfits which makes them look better than others.
Absolutely. There are many more we can add to that list. Yes, I'm feeling a little down at the moment, as if I'll never transform into anything other than hideous. I think I'd better be where people are not. In a moment of madness, I actually thought that such an equation might exist (too late for me now of course). I imagined something Einstein might have scribbled on a chalkboard, inserting the variables of distance between elbow and hand, length of torso, liquid flesh density, number of chins etc. I'm just stepping outside into the cold now. I may be some time... Lear

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
I am wearing a bead bracelet today. Should I also wear a felt flower? Please discuss.

Only if you're rolling your jean cuffs 3+ inches above your EG double monks.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This thread sounds utterly insane. I will enjoy reading it.
laugh.gif
What makes people look good in suits is a suit that fits well. Much of my stuff isn't all that well-fitting (by SF standards; compared to the average person on the street, well, sure) so I'm surprised and flattered to see myself included in the list. Plenty of my stuff doesn't look that special though, as I'm sure others will attest to! The other thing to remember is that tailored clothing can manipulate the appearance of a multitude of physical sins but not all of them. I'd suggest that the ones it copes best with are lack of muscle without being actually skinny, some stockiness, sloped shoulders and general lack of good posture and tone (I think I can confidently say I meet most of those!). It seems to me that the ones it copes worst with are excessive muscle, excessive fat (though it copes with a gut remarkably well), barrel-chests, square shoulders, and lankiness. That's not to say these people can't look good in a suit, but they need more expertise from a professional in doing so. Essentially, tailoring is better at building up than chiselling down. This seems to make intuitive sense too, given that you're adding an extra layer of material to the body and so can adjust that layer's shape accordingly, to flatter. I suppose one could be socio-culturally cheeky and suggest that those attributes stem from the fact that tailored clothing was first developed to flatter an unfit and slight aristocratic/industrialist class, but I leave that to others to develop further.
laugh.gif

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum

Its my big drop.
wink.gif

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
is Gregaz as skinny as he seems? It always looks to me like his fits are basically as slim as possible, very clean and sharp but I guess I'm thinking if he's just that slim or the clothes are doing a lot of the work. Maybe it's the camera angles?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you have a decent body shape and a good weight/height ratio you will look good in a suit and any suit as long they're properly fitted.

The real talent of a tailor is to make people with body proportion problems look good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads