• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The hardest thing I've ever done...

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm sure you're hurting, but keep reminding yourself that you just saved your balls from getting crushed in a vice. Good work.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTGuy
So sorry to hear that man. There's no way to goof on that situation.

Take care and remember that eventually it'll pass.

I agree. **** happens, but it will eventually pass.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I'm sure you're hurting, but keep reminding yourself that you just saved your balls from getting crushed in a vice. Good work.

Isn't getting your balls crushed in a vice a typical Friday night for you?

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Says the boy who's never met this girl and never been in a relationship with any girl.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Ah, good old SF, every thread turns into Conne-bashing
inlove.gif

Originally Posted by GoSurface
Probably even harder for her, seeing as her dreams have been shattered. Either way, its a difficult situation. I'm sure you'll both find ways to cope, and eventually get over it.

Really, I'm happy to be out of it, except I don't like to hurt other people. Thinking about how sad I made her is really the most depressing part of it, I'll want to pick up her calls, but it's just going to make it harder if I do.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The one bit of advice I can give here is that, at least generally, I don't think avoiding her is necessary or even a good idea. Of course, it's complicated: your best friend breaks up with you, so you call your... best friend? A little distance is fine; just don't feel like not talking to her again is required or good. No matter how emotionally mature you are, you're still going to do dumb things here, and proximity isn't really the issue. Not saying you should listen to two hours of begging to get back together; but the other extreme isn't, I think, any better.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good move, you have to access your situation and make sure YOU are happy.

Me and my girl broke up after a 4 year long distance 2 years ago and it was the best thing that ever happened to me.

If it wasn't for that I wouldn't have reconnected with my old friends and I wouldn't have met my current girlfriend who I will propose to next year.

I am still in contact with my ex-we chat online every now and then just cordially to see how each other is doing. She says it was a big mistake breaking up with me but I assured her it was the right move. I try to stay friendly with as many people as possible because you never know what may happen down the road.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
was breaking up with my girlfriend of 3 years just now... she wanted to settle down and marry me... she begged and pleaded... she said she'd do anything. I had to let her go... Just wasn't happy with long distance, and I knew we were just too young. **** sucks.
confused.gif

Off to the gay bars!

(that's you who goes to them, right?)

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
How long were you together before it turned into LD? My roomate started dating a girl like March of Sr. year of HS, we moved away to college that summer (3-3.5 hrs away) and they ended up staying together until the end of Jr. year. It sucked, it was such a drag on him because he felt tied down and pissed me off because I hated her and the **** she would pull about being apart.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You've made a huge mistake.

Not really. Chipper up, you did what you had to do.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
The one bit of advice I can give here is that, at least generally, I don't think avoiding her is necessary or even a good idea. Of course, it's complicated: your best friend breaks up with you, so you call your... best friend? A little distance is fine; just don't feel like not talking to her again is required or good. No matter how emotionally mature you are, you're still going to do dumb things here, and proximity isn't really the issue. Not saying you should listen to two hours of begging to get back together; but the other extreme isn't, I think, any better.

Sounds like good advice. Don't be jerk, but make don't leave doors open just to be nice. This will be hard for her and the right thing to do is to help her move on. But not by making her think her ex-boyfriend is an ass. Kind, but firm is what is called for.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads