• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hanger Project or Butler Luxury Hangers?

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own both and feel that Butler is made out of a better wood, but the ends of the Hanger Project hangers are thicker and simulate shoulders more. However, it also takes up more closet space.

There was a review done on the two different makes --

http://www.gentlemansgazette.com/butler-luxury-wooden-hanger/

Last edited:

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I know this seems trivial, but one of my biggest problems with them is they way they brand their hangers, its just super tacky, especially the shirt hangers. Its painful

To just chime in here, we do not have our brand anywhere prominent on our hanger... just on the underside, exactly like the other guy.

Remember: StyleForum members get a 10% Discount with discount code "StyleForum"

pnewelljr

Reaction score
To just chime in here, we do not have our brand anywhere prominent on our hanger... just on the underside, exactly like the other guy.

Remember: StyleForum members get a 10% Discount with discount code "StyleForum"

That's funny, because in this picture it shows it pretty prominently??

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's funny, because in this picture it shows it pretty prominently??
Kirby must have been referring to his suit hangers, which is what most of the discussion in this thread seems to be about. Regardless, I would hardly consider that small logo on the shirt hanger "prominent" or "tacky". Heck, you can barely even see it on that particular finish. I don't own any HP shirt hangers, but the logo certainly wouldn't prevent me from buying any, jeez...

pnewelljr

Reaction score
Well its just a personal preference, but I prefer to avoid logos at all costs. Personally, I think if a product is truly well made, its quality should speak for itself. I like to buy products so well made that they don't need a logo, because people will ask where you got it when they see it.

Last edited:

MikeJC

Reaction score
Hello, let me introduce myself. I am Mike Cregan from Butler Luxury.

Let me address pnewalljr's point, and something Kirby alludes to above.

We don't put a logo on our hanger, but we do put the name on it. I am sure it for the same reason Kirby puts The Hanger Project on his hangers. It is not for show or any grand reason; it is simply to make sure the person who gets it or comes into possession of it knows where it came from . The buyer is entitled to know it is an actual item from the maker they expect it to be from.

As to which hanger is best, I won't address that. That is a subjective matter of taste and preference that each person will arrive at in their own unique way.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I found better luxury suit hangers, made of wood, for only $5 each:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KPLJQI/ref=pe_385040_30332190_pe_175190_21431760_3p_M3T1_ST1_dp_1
(Proman Libra Wide Shoulder Suit Hanger)

They are better because they are 3 INCHES WIDE at shoulders, which is the main reason you should be getting a nice suit hanger. When you get an expensive designer suit, they often come with hangers that have 3-4" wide shoulders, so that tells you that width is important. Neither of these two companies have hangers that are wide enough at the shoulders (they are only 2-2.5"). The reason is money: it costs more to cut out a wider piece of wood. But they are already charging $30 a hanger! So why aren't they making an appropriately wide hangar? Saying that you can fit more of them in a NY closet is not a good answer.

I ordered 12 of these "Proman" hangers and they work fine. They fill out the shoulder as they should, and the black looks nice. And there is no logo at all (in contrast to the others). The single review on Amazon mentioned that the back is not curved, but it is curved slightly, and the shoulders curve forward, making the suit itself curve. I do agree that HP and Butler have more curvy hangers, and might be better in that respect, but my Giorgio Armani plastic hangar, with 4" shoulders and curved back, is better than all of them! The pants bar on the Proman is sturdy and has friction cover that keeps the pants from slipping out. For $5 a hangar it is a bargain and I use them with my nice shirts too. One thing: they seem to come only in 17" width, which will fit most suits, but not all.

If HP or Butler would design a hangar that has wide-enough shoulders and would lower their price, I would probably buy it, but until then I recommend the Proman.

JermynStreet

Reaction score

I found better luxury suit hangers, made of wood, for only $5 each:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KPLJQI/ref=pe_385040_30332190_pe_175190_21431760_3p_M3T1_ST1_dp_1
(Proman Libra Wide Shoulder Suit Hanger)

They are better because they are 3 INCHES WIDE at shoulders, which is the main reason you should be getting a nice suit hanger.  When you get an expensive designer suit, they often come with hangers that have 3-4" wide shoulders, so that tells you that width is important.  Neither of these two companies have hangers that are wide enough at the shoulders (they are only 2-2.5").  The reason is money: it costs more to cut out a wider piece of wood.  But they are already charging $30 a hanger!   So why aren't they making an appropriately wide hangar?  Saying that you can fit more of them in a NY closet is not a good answer. 

I ordered 12 of these "Proman" hangers and they work fine. They fill out the shoulder as they should, and the black looks nice.  And there is no logo at all (in contrast to the others).  The single review on Amazon mentioned that the back is not curved, but it is curved slightly, and the shoulders curve forward, making the suit itself curve.  I do agree that HP and Butler have more curvy hangers, and might be better in that respect, but my Giorgio Armani plastic hangar, with 4" shoulders and curved back, is better than all of them!  The pants bar on the Proman is sturdy and has friction cover that keeps the pants from slipping out. For $5 a hangar it is a bargain and I use them with my nice shirts too.  One thing: they seem to come only in 17" width, which will fit most suits, but not all.

If HP or Butler would design a hangar that has wide-enough shoulders and would lower their price, I would probably buy it, but until then I recommend the Proman.     

StyleProfessor, no offense, brah, but are you the man behind Proman? Because you basically just gave a sales pitch? I find it suspect that you only have 2 postings and that this is one of them.

Reaction score
StyleProfessor, no offense, brah, but are you the man behind Proman? Because you basically just gave a sales pitch? I find it suspect that you only have 2 postings and that this is one of them.

No, I teach at a university and am just sharing what I learned about hangars. You are welcome to ignore the advice! My point is that HP and Butler emphasize the trimmings and charge a lot , but overlook the main functionality, in having a wide shoulder to keep your suit in good shape. Even better if another company came out with a hangar that mimics a good designer hangar like I mentioned.

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We've done a 3" flare before, and found that it was way too wide for most jacket shoulders. It also compromised the contour, which is just as important as the size of the flare.

Reaction score
We've done a 3" flare before, and found that it was way too wide for most jacket shoulders. It also compromised the contour, which is just as important as the size of the flare.

Sorry, but that doesn't make sense, because the average male shoulder is 4"+ depth, and suit-makers that sell $5,000+ suits hang them on 3-4" flared hangers with contours. So 3" can't be "way too wide." Suits are made for men, not hangers, so the best hanger should be closest to a man's form. Admittedly we don't want a closet full of manikins, but I don't think that getting closer to a man's real shape (the ideal) should be bad for a suit (your descriptions "compromised", "way too wide"). What it means is that you would pay more to make the hangers so it would take from your bottom line or you would have to charge more. It sounds like a business decision to me.

Celadon

Reaction score
I have learnt at this point that many SF members have large wardrobes, but the frequent mention of hangars anytime clothing storage is under discussion makes me wonder if some people just don't take the obsession a bit too far.

Reaction score
A bad hangar can damage your valuable clothes, whether you have a large wardrobe or not. Nothing wrong with taking care of one's investment. And by the way this thread is all about hangars, so that is why people are talking about hangars here. Believe me, we have other things in life besides hangars! I bought my dozen and I'm done with it...

Celadon

Reaction score
A bad hangar can damage your valuable clothes, whether you have a large wardrobe or not. Nothing wrong with taking care of one's investment. And by the way this thread is all about hangars, so that is why people are talking about hangars here. Believe me, we have other things in life besides hangars! I bought my dozen and I'm done with it...

A dozen hangars! Wow, that's an impressive amount of space! But when you use hangars for your clothing storage, I can quite see how you will want to avoid the bad ones. As I understand it, they can often be contaminated by poisonous and explosive chemicals.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads