• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kirby Allison: Affiliate thread

Espresso

Reaction score
any discounts? thanks. wanna try some and see if its good.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Kirby,

Now that you have been to 'Saphir University' I am hoping you can offer some product recommendations for two specific needs:

1.) I am custom dying a belt and I wish to apply a topcoat (clear or nearly clear) that will add a deep shine but which will not rub off on my trousers.

And

2.) I have a Hartman 'belting leather' suitcase that needs a thorough conditioning. It is black, by the way.

Your thoughts on the appropriate products would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

JL724

Reaction score
Any chance of getting the traditional finished hangers with nickel hardware instead of brass?

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
...unfortunately not. Because of the way that we install our hardware, it is impossible for us to switch it out for other finishes without destroying the hanger. We added the Natural Finish for this purpose...

JL724

Reaction score

...unfortunately not. Because of the way that we install our hardware, it is impossible for us to switch it out for other finishes without destroying the hanger. We added the Natural Finish for this purpose...

Is it possible to place a custom order for traditional finished hangers with nickel hardware if the order was large enough?

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Gdot -

Yes, just returned from spending some more time with the Saphir guys. Incredible operation and great products. I'm excited that Ron is continuing to increase his supply and range of Saphir items.

Regarding your belt, we have a Saphir leather dye that I can make available for you. I haven't fully picked up the line because we would have to purchase the entire range in order to allow for color mixing, but I can certainly get a few colors for you if you need them. They come with a color chart that shows how you can custom mix the dyes to produce any color and then use them to dye your belt.

As for the deep shine, I am not aware of any way to do this without a wax polish, which would rub off on your clothing. You could use Saphir Leather Lotion or Saphir Renovateur for nourishment, which would yield a soft shine. But high-gloss... I don't have anything for you.

I actually just finished filming a tutorial on belt maintenance. It's incredible what a difference the Saphir Leather Lotion or Renovateur can make. I also applied some Saphir Juvacuir, which is a mild recolorant that won't rub off and does not have any waxes, to re-saturate the color. Belt now looks like new.

As for your Hartman suitcase, I would highly recommend the following:
1. First clean with a mild soap. I recommend Saphir's Nettoyant Regenerant Cleaning Soap. Given that you've probably never cleaned the bag, this will be very helpful.

2. Then condition the bag using Saphir's Leather Lotion MDO. It has uses the same formulation as the Renovateur MDO but in a lower concentration. Just like the Renovateur, it is like liquid gold but for larger leather goods.

3. To help recolor any scuffs or worn areas, use Saphir Juvacuir recoloring cream. What's great about this is that it will recolor the leather but will not rub off on clothing. Right now we just have three colors, but I hope to receive the rest of the color line soon.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Cheers,

Kirby

Hi Kirby,
Now that you have been to 'Saphir University' I am hoping you can offer some product recommendations for two specific needs:
1.) I am custom dying a belt and I wish to apply a topcoat (clear or nearly clear) that will add a deep shine but which will not rub off on my trousers.
And
2.) I have a Hartman 'belting leather' suitcase that needs a thorough conditioning. It is black, by the way.
Your thoughts on the appropriate products would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kirby,

Thank you for the detailed reply!

And thank you for the kind offer of the dyes. Although I don't wish to put you through any extra effort.

Based on the information you have provided I am going to try the following:

1.) Belt - Dye with Tarrago (color #13 Pine Needle) and finish with several coats of Renovateur. The reno does indeed dry to a hard glossy finish on my shoes so I'll give it a go on the belt and see how it does.

2.) Black belting leather suitcase - Clean with Saphir Saddle Soap (as I already have this product). Condition with Saphir Leather Lotion MDO and recolor with Saphir Juvacuir as required.

I'll keep the thread updated as these two projects progress.

Thank you again!

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gdot -
As for your Hartman suitcase, I would highly recommend the following:
1. First clean with a mild soap. I recommend Saphir's Nettoyant Regenerant Cleaning Soap. Given that you've probably never cleaned the bag, this will be very helpful.
2. Then condition the bag using Saphir's Leather Lotion MDO. It has uses the same formulation as the Renovateur MDO but in a lower concentration. Just like the Renovateur, it is like liquid gold but for larger leather goods.
3. To help recolor any scuffs or worn areas, use Saphir Juvacuir recoloring cream. What's great about this is that it will recolor the leather but will not rub off on clothing. Right now we just have three colors, but I hope to receive the rest of the color line soon.
Let me know if you have any other questions!
Cheers,
Kirby

OK, Now you have got me thinking. I have a large leather ottoman that has some scuffs on it that I've wondered what to do about. It sounds like 1) clean with leather lotion and 2) touch up with recoloring cream. If I get brown and cognac, could I mix them to attempt to match the shade of brown? Is there a place where I can see an accurate depiction of each color? I think I might enjoy this project.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kirby,

what kind of "conditioner" do you recommend for good quality bridle leather.

I have the Renovateur and also the MDO lotion. Would either suffice?

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The Renovateur or MDO Leather Lotion should be perfect for a bridle leather. You could even consider coming on top of it with a neutral wax polish since bridle leather is normally a little waxed.

Kirby,
what kind of "conditioner" do you recommend for good quality bridle leather.
I have the Renovateur and also the MDO lotion. Would either suffice?

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

OK, Now you have got me thinking. I have a large leather ottoman that has some scuffs on it that I've wondered what to do about. It sounds like 1) clean with leather lotion and 2) touch up with recoloring cream. If I get brown and cognac, could I mix them to attempt to match the shade of brown? Is there a place where I can see an accurate depiction of each color? I think I might enjoy this project.

You could definitely use the Juvacuir to help with the ottoman. The Juvacuir is perfect for recoloring larger areas. However, depending on the extent of the damage to the leather, the Saphir Renovating Recolorant Repair Cream could be used (possibly diluted with a little Leather Lotion) for more specific spot treatment.

The Repair Cream is just pigment and resin -- perfect for repairing more heavily-damaged leather as it can be applied in multiple coats to build up a finish back to normal. And once it dries, it will never bleed.

But before any of this, I recommend first cleaning to ottoman with Saphir Nettoyant Cleaning Soap using a natural foam sponge. This will clean away any dirt and prepare the leather to receive the nourishment from the Leather Lotion MOD and Juvacuir. Otherwise, you'll just work the dirt into deeper into the leather.

After a little work, it'll be like new!

Last edited:

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I must add: the latest Hanger Project ad campagn on SF is definitely among the cleverer banners in a long time. Great!

+1 They must really have a fantastic team working there. To come so far so quickly is incredible.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics