1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Hanger Project: Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LA Guy, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Shawl Lapel

Shawl Lapel Senior member

Nice work Betel! Are you getting that shine in one sitting or letting a few layers of wax dry and then coming back later/the next day?

2. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

I think the Container Store is now eating Hanger Project's hanger cheese. Or ate its cheese. Or his lunch? I don't know the saying. But they're getting more and more similar and 100000x cheaper.

3. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Thanks!

In one sitting. One mistake I was doing was, taking to much shoe polish. With the minimal amount the shine pops up.

4. Shawl Lapel

So a thin coat of polish, then multiple layers of wax, i.e. don't layer up the polish and expect the wax to get a nice shine on top of it?

5. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

how so? are they offering shoe shine sundays on styleforum?

6. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

I don't know if I fully understand. [​IMG]

I don't have a lot of cleaning stuff I only have a wax that is Cream and polish or somethin like that. With only that I got that shine. [​IMG]

7. Shawl Lapel

I gotcha. I have Saphir polish and wax (two separate products). In either case less is more is the takeaway I guess.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  8. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

Are you referring to a scratch or something that doesn't get filled in when you polish again, at least not to the same level as the rest of the surrounding upper?

It seems counterintuitive, but this really does fix a lot of the "issues" people tend to encounter in their own shoe shines.

9. Rugger

Rugger Senior member

Is there a standard SF discount?

10. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

New Year Q&A Edition

For today's Shoe Shine Sunday I'm hanging around and taking all shoe shine questions! Join me by posting any shoe shine questions here, as well as before and after photos here of your own polish job today!

Remember to also cross-post to Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or Tumblr (using the hashtag #shoeshinesunday)!

Without further ado, let's get to it...paging @Betelgeuse

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. bradp

bradp Senior member

Does a mirror shine look good on museum calf? If so, can/should it be achieved using neutral wax?

12. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

Personal preference, I suppose. I'd use some colored wax for the first few layers, so as not to disturb the original finish (which neutral wax would do).

13. Rugger

Rugger Senior member

If you had to send someone to read one post, or watch one video, or read one article on shining shoes...where would you send them?

14. bradp

bradp Senior member

Thanks red. Could you elaborate on that a bit? Esp what you mean about disturbing the fonish.

Seemed to me a darker wax would cover the museum effect but that was just a guess.

15. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Yes, that's was what I was talking about. I wore muy dark brown shoes to New Year's party and got a lot of hits on muy shoes by ladies high heels. Need to fix them. :(

16. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

Neutral wax will remove some color/finish when applied directly, so a colored wax would be best to form a base upon which to then apply the neutral wax (thereby avoiding any of the color/finish removal of the neutral wax). Colored wax, particularly when applied in very thin coats, won't cause much (if any) color change until many, many coats are applied.

Ah - you can either spot correct (apply wax only to the affected areas until the area is filled in) or you can remove the existing wax with some reno or neutral polish and then start over.

1 person likes this.
  17. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Uh! Nice! Will try to do the filling with wax cause I don't have reno. :(

18. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

you can work small marks like that out using the sleeking bone from Kirby. a little crème delicate for lubrication -
    top it off with your was choice & voila.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  19. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

Not with a mirror finish, though.

20. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

I don't know, I'm not a big fan of super mirror shine so I've never tried. it will shine bright enough though