1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Hanger Project: Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LA Guy, Aug 26, 2008.

1. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Great work, Red.

Since seeing your use of the lotion, I've also switched from Réno to Lotion, and find it much more suitable for welt dunk and general cleaning.

I have a hard time looking for crème universelle, though. Would've love to give that one a try.

2. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

Thanks, @traverscao - Saphir Crème Universaille is available here.

3. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Thanks Red, but I have a strong distaste for backordering...

4. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

Welcome back!

Today I'm getting a pair of Saint Crispin's boots ready for the upcoming fall and winter slush. Join me by posting before and after photos here of your own polish job today!

Remember to also cross-post to Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or Tumblr (using the hashtag #shoeshinesunday) — one (1) random participant who does will receive one (1) pair of their choice of mid-calf Palatino cotton socks!

Without further ado, let's get to it...

[​IMG]
    The "damage"

Saphir MDO Leather Lotion
    Saphir Pommadier Cream Polish in light brown
    Saphir Chamois Cloth
    Saphir Large Horsehair Brush

I began as usual by wiping the boots down with a damp cloth and followed up with a brushing using the Saphir large horsehair brush. I then lightly applied Saphir MDO Leather Lotion all over with a Saphir Chamois Cloth, to gently clean and condition the uppers and sole edges.

[​IMG]

I let the lotion sit and dry for about 15-20 minutes and I then brushed the boots, heel and sole edges with the Saphir brush.

[​IMG]
    After Brushing

Then it was on to Saphir Pommadier Cream Polish in light brown, starting with two thin applications all over the boots using a Saphir Chamois Cloth and each application was followed by a brushing after the respective application dried. Once two applications of cream were on the boots, I applied one slightly heavier coat of Saphir Pommadier Cream Polish.

[​IMG]
    Creamed

[​IMG]
    Please Sir, may I have some more?​

Once the last application of Saphir Pommadier Cream Polish had dried for about an hour, I lightly misted the boots with a spray bottle and vigorously brushed the dried cream off, resulting in a deep, matte shine.

[​IMG]
    Voila!
    Remember to post photographs here today of you shining/polishing your shoes (before and after, please) and also to cross-post your photos on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or Tumblr (using the hashtag #shoeshinesunday) — one (1) random participant who does will receive one (1) pair of their choice of mid-calf Palatino cotton socks!

I'll be checking back in on this thread throughout the day, so feel free to include any questions you might have along with your posts — who knows, the answer(s) may even be the subject of a future Shoe Shine Sunday!

2 people like this.
  5. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Wait... Seriously, Red? Water on cream? I thought water on wax was the deal.

6. niklasnordin

niklasnordin Senior member

An ebay purchase that I've re-painted and polished.
    Edward Green Fawsley
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

It's probably just a personal quirk, but I use just one light misting of water when there's a bit more than a thin layer of cream to remove with a brush — nothing like the water/alcohol mixture used to create a mirror shine.

8. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Oh... Well so far I thought the trick used to be applied to just waxing... Nice to know, Red!

9. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

I liked that particular shoe more before the mirrored toe, but kudos for the effort — I know how much time that takes... [​IMG]

10. niklasnordin

niklasnordin Senior member

Its a disease. I cant help myself :)

1 person likes this.
  11. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

We should start a recovery group.

12. bradp

bradp Senior member

Thanks for the walk-through, Red. I have a pair of Frye boots that have a distressed/matte finish but would look nice w/ a shine on the toe. Any thoughts on whether it would work to use your process, but after application of lotion, remaining steps on the toe only?

13. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

Hey @bradp :

Difficult to say for sure without seeing the boots, but I suspect it would be fine.

- RD

14. bradp

bradp Senior member

Thanks red. How long do you generally brush with the horsehair to get that level of shine?

15. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

If you're referring to a mirror shine, that's not as much brushing as it is working wax in with a chamois or cotton pad. If you're referring to the boots from last Shoe Shine Sunday, generally 5-10 minutes.

- RD

16. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

Welcome back!

Today I'm getting a pair of Carmina derby captoes ready for their maiden voyage. Join me by posting before and after photos here of your own polish job today!

Remember to also cross-post to Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or Tumblr (using the hashtag #shoeshinesunday)!

[​IMG]
    The "damage"
    Saphir MDO Leather Lotion
    Saphir Nappa Balm
    Saphir MDO Wax Polish in dark brown
    Saphir Chamois Cloth
    I began as usual by wiping the shoes down with a damp cloth and followed up with a brushing using the Saphir large horsehair brush. I then lightly applied Saphir MDO Leather Lotion all over with a Saphir Chamois Cloth, to gently clean and condition the uppers and sole edges.

I let the lotion sit and dry for about 15-20 minutes and I then brushed the shoes, heel and sole edges with the Saphir brush.
    [​IMG]
    After Brushing

Then it was on to Saphir Nappa Balm, as this pair has been sitting in the box for quite some time. So, as with the Saphir MDO Leather Lotion, I applied Saphir Nappa Balm moderately all over with a Saphir Chamois Cloth. I let the balm sit and dry for about an hour and then I brushed the shoes, heel and sole edges with the Saphir brush.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

My last step was three very light applications of Saphir MDO Wax Polish in dark brown, starting with two thin applications all over the shoes using a Saphir Chamois Cloth. Each application was followed by a brushing and once two applications of wax were on the shoes, I applied one last coat of Saphir MDO Wax Polish.
    [​IMG]

and...

[​IMG]
    Voila!
    Remember to post photographs here today of you shining/polishing your shoes (before and after, please) and also to cross-post your photos on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or Tumblr (using the hashtag #shoeshinesunday).

I'll be checking back in on this thread throughout the day, so feel free to include any questions you might have along with your posts — who knows, the answer(s) may even be the subject of a future Shoe Shine Sunday!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  17. Hobson

Hobson New Member

This is my first post so please go easy with me; I've been a long time watcher but I thought it was about time that I got involved.

Sadly I didn't think to take some photos before/during but never mind. I decided I would give tan pebble grain oxfords a little tidy up. Nothing major just a couple of layers of renovateur and a little neutral polish.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Best wishes

18. Shawl Lapel

Shawl Lapel Senior member

Did some maintenance to prep some AEs for a new home. Didn't go for a mirror shine, just a good cleanup. Saphir Renovateur, Saphir Polish Mahogany No.9, and Saphir wax No.9. First time using Saphir wax and I wanted to try it out on my AEs before moving over to my Carminas. It's great stuff, I'll be picking up more colors in the future.

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

19. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

Welcome back!

Today I'm shining a pair of Carmina shell cordovan wingtips that have a few miles on them already. Join me by posting before and after photos here of your own polish job today!

Remember to also cross-post to Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or Tumblr (using the hashtag #shoeshinesunday)!

[​IMG]
    The "damage"
    Saphir Cordovan Cream in neutral
    Saphir MDO Wax Polish in neutral and dark brown
    Saphir Chamois Cloth
    Saphir Welt Brush
    Edoya Finishing Brush
    I began by brushing the shoes vigorously for a few minutes using the Saphir large horsehair brush.

[​IMG]
    After Brushing

Then it was on to cleaning the welts by applying a thin layer of Saphir MDO Wax Polish in neutral to a Saphir Welt Brush and gently brushing the welts. I then let the wax dry while I applied a thin layer of the same Saphir MDO Wax Polish to the sole edges and heels. After the wax on the sole edges and heels dried, I again brushed the the shoes, heel and sole edges vigorously for a few minutes using the Saphir large horsehair brush.

[​IMG]
    Rub A Dub Dub

[​IMG]
    Another Brush Round

To clean up the sole edges and heels a bit more, I applied some additional Saphir MDO Wax Polish in dark brown to the sole edges and heels with a Saphir Chamois Cloth. After the wax on the sole edges and heels dried, I again brushed the the shoes, heel and sole edges vigorously for a few minutes using the Saphir large horsehair brush.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    More Brush

Once the sole edges and heels were taken care of, I moved on to the uppers and applied a thin layer of Saphir Cordovan Cream in neutral all over the uppers using a clean portion of a Saphir Chamois Cloth. I worked the Saphir Cordovan Cream into the uppers in a circular motion using moderate pressure.

[​IMG]
    Cream Time

After allowing the Saphir Cordovan Cream application to dry, I vigorously brushed the uppers again, but this time with a soft Edoya goat hair finishing brush.

[​IMG]
    Even More Brush​

My last step was a very light application of Saphir MDO Wax Polish in neutral all over the uppers using a Saphir Chamois Cloth followed by, you guessed it, another round of vigorous brushing with the Edoya finishing brush.

[​IMG]
    Light Wax On​

[​IMG]
    Vigorous Brush Off

Remember to post photographs here today of you shining/polishing your shoes (before and after, please) and also to cross-post your photos on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or Tumblr (using the hashtag #shoeshinesunday).

1 person likes this.
  20. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

Red Devil, what would you recommend I do to fix the toe of this Alden boot? I think the dirt is primarily rubber from a brake pedal. I have a pretty good assortment of Saphir items from the Hanger Project.

[​IMG]