1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Hanger Project: Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LA Guy, Aug 26, 2008.

1. CosmeDaniel

CosmeDaniel Senior member

Quick kudos to Kirby for adding an apology to the latest e-mail. Not that common to see people take personal responsibility for issues.

I didn't have a bad experience with my last order, but it did come with one less dauber than what I thought I was paying for. Customer service assured me it'd be included in a subsequent order but it didn't materialize. In the end I figured a $6.00 dauber wasn't worth the fight but it sounds as though I wasn't alone in experiencing this type of frustration when ordering.

2. kirbya

kirbya Senior member Affiliate Vendor

CosmeDaniel - I totally understand. You cannot even believe how frustrating and dissatisfying our previous situation with the 3PL became. Sadly, it took us almost six months to find a warehouse, finish it out, and move in. Way too long, but absolutely as fast as we could do it. And all of it was at a huge expense, which made it even more challenge for me because The Hanger Project is still relatively small (we do sell hangers and show polish).

So, please accept my sincerest apology. We'd love to send you the dauber and pair of Palatino socks (you pick) for the trouble. PM me your information or order number.

By the end of the month, we'll have conducted a full physical inventory and will begin daily cycle counts. This will allow us to begin resolving any inventory issues. And we have a huge shipment of hangers that is about to arrive, that should resolve issues we've had with certain hanger sizes being unavailable.

3. kirbya

kirbya Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Pictures of the new place. Still have some work to do... but it's refreshing to be under our own management now!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  4. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

Aaaaaaand...we're back!

Today I'm putting a first polish on a pretty esoteric pair of Carmina MTO loafers that I made up for casual summer wear. Join me by posting before and after photos of your own polish job today!

Remember to also cross-post to Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or Tumblr (using the hashtag #shoeshinesunday) — one (1) random participant who does will receive one (1) pair of their choice of mid-calf Palatino cotton socks!

Without further ado, let's get to it...

There is a lot going on with this pair of loafers, including the fact that they turned out a little brighter than I would have liked. So, in addition to cleaning up the usual scuffs and marks, I'm going to darken them slightly (I'm skipping the welt treatment in this post, but it was done). I am also going to lighten the heels and edges a bit, but that's for another day.

[​IMG]
    The "damage"

Saphir Horsehair Polishing Brush
    Saphir Leather Lotion
    Saphir Pommadier Cream Polish in Dark Green, Dark Brown
    Saphir Pate de Luxe Wax Polish in Dark Brown, Neutral
    Saphir Reptan
    Saphir Chamois Cloth
    Edoya Finishing Brush
    Edging Tool

I began as usual by wiping the shoes down with a damp cloth, a brushing with the Horsehair Polishing Brush, and then a liberal dosing of Saphir Leather Lotion all over with a Saphir Chamois Cloth.

[​IMG]

I let the Saphir Leather Lotion dry and then buffed off with the Horsehair Polishing Brush.

[​IMG]

Once the Kermits were brushed again with the Horsehair Polishing Brush, I began working in Saphir Pommadier Cream Polish in Dark Green.

[​IMG]

After another brushing with the Horsehair Polishing Brush, it was on to Saphir Pommadier Cream Polish in Dark Brown...followed by another brushing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After two (2) light coats of Saphir Pommadier Cream Polish in Dark Brown and the brushing, I applied three (3) successive very, very light coats of Saphir Pate de Luxe Wax Polish in Dark Brown with a Saphir Chamois Cloth.

[​IMG]

Following the brown wax and another brushing, I attended to the heels and sole edges with Saphir Pate de Luxe Wax Polish in Neutral and an edging tool, followed by a little Saphir Reptan for the crocodile tassels.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After a vigorous brushing with my Edoya finishing brush...

[​IMG]

...voila!
    [​IMG]

Remember to post photographs here today of you shining/polishing your shoes (before and after, please) and also to cross-post your photos on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or Tumblr (using the hashtag #shoeshinesunday) — one (1) random participant who does will receive one (1) pair of their choice of mid-calf Palatino cotton socks!

I'll be checking back in on this thread throughout the day, so feel free to include any questions you might have along with your posts — who knows, the answer(s) may even be the subject of a future Shoe Shine Sunday!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  5. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Nice work, as per usual. Any difficulties polishing the tassels??

6. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

Thanks. No difficulties whatsoever, just a little care in keeping the right product where it needs to go. Ideally, just apply Reptan and work it in gently, then buff or brush (finishing brush) after it dries.

7. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

What do you think about the idea of applying wax to the tassels as well? Would it be a little silly?

8. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

Overkill for just tassels.

9. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

those tassels are so dandy red

10. macjedi

macjedi Senior member

Very nice RD! Those tassels are beautiful!

11. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

Aaaaaaand...we're taking today off!

I'm taking today off again and, as a reminder, for the remainder of the summer I'll be hosting Shoe Shine Sunday on a bi-weekly basis.

However, you are all invited to continue posting your pursuit of the perfect shine as usual! Even though today's Shoe Shine Sunday isn't hosted, we also encourage everyone to cross-post to Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or Tumblr (using the hashtag #shoeshinesunday).

I'll still be checking back in on this thread throughout the day, so feel free to include any questions you might have along with your posts — who knows, the answer(s) may even be the subject of a future Shoe Shine Sunday!

For now, I'll leave you with an old Shoe Shine Sunday shot...

[​IMG]

12. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

amazing. is there more than one deco last? also, where'd you get that brush :) usually decos look quite snouty. yours looks refined.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  13. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

Thanks — G&G will make most of their lasts at Deco finishing levels, but this is Holden on the stock Deco last. The brush is from Edoya in Tokyo.

14. hangerproject

hangerproject Member

History and Tradition of Inis Meáin

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A little background on the rich culture of the island of Inis Meáin, home to our of favourite brand of knitwear.

http://bit.ly/1o9z9zF

15. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

Aaaaaaand...we're back!

Today I'm taking a pair of Saint Crispin's Pedders out of storage for a bit of TLC. Join me by posting before and after photos of your own polish job today!

Remember to also cross-post to Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or Tumblr (using the hashtag #shoeshinesunday) — one (1) random participant who does will receive one (1) pair of their choice of mid-calf Palatino cotton socks!

Without further ado, let's get to it...

[​IMG]
    The "damage"
    Saphir Horsehair Polishing Brush
    Saphir Nappa Balm
    Saphir Pate de Luxe Wax Polish in Medium Brown, Neutral
    Saphir Chamois Cloth
    Edging Tool
    Solvent Dispenser
    Cotton Pads

I began as usual by wiping the shoes down with a damp cloth, a brushing with the Saphir Horsehair Polishing Brush, and then a light application of Saphir Nappa Balm all over with a Saphir Chamois Cloth.

[​IMG]

I let the Saphir Nappa Balm dry and then brushed it off with the Horsehair Polishing Brush. I applied another very, very light layer of Saphir Nappa Balm and, while that layer dried, used a small welt brush to apply neutral Saphir Pate de Luxe Wax Polish to the welt, sole edges and heel. Before the neutral Saphir Pate de Luxe Wax Polish dried I used an edging tool to seal up the sole edges.

[​IMG]

Predictably, I then brushed the shoes again in their entirety (including the heels where neutral Saphir Pate de Luxe Wax Polish was applied).

[​IMG]

Then it was on to alternating applications of medium brown and neutral Saphir Pate de Luxe Wax Polish, particularly on the toe cap, as I wanted to bring the caps on this pair back to a mirror shine.

[​IMG]

Remember to post photographs here today of you shining/polishing your shoes (before and after, please) and also to cross-post your photos on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or Tumblr (using the hashtag #shoeshinesunday) — one (1) random participant who does will receive one (1) pair of their choice of mid-calf Palatino cotton socks!

I'll be checking back in on this thread throughout the day, so feel free to include any questions you might have along with your posts — who knows, the answer(s) may even be the subject of a future Shoe Shine Sunday!

1 person likes this.
  16. macjedi

macjedi Senior member

Nice work @RedDevil10! I'm finding that getting a mirror finish is sometimes hit or miss. I usually use a small amount of wax and water and keep working it till it dries. Then keep repeating till I get the shine or give up. What's the technique you've found to be best? BTW, I saw your fit pic recently on The Armoury blog … Just Perfect!! Well Done!!!! :slayer:

17. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Great work there! How come Nappa balm instead of Réno or Lotion though?

18. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

Thanks — it's a combination of factors, some of which I've covered in past posts, but I'll do another sometime soon.

Thanks — Nappa instead because I didn't need to "clean" the shoes or redistribute any polish, just condition, which called for something gentler.

19. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Thanks — Nappa instead because I didn't need to "clean" the shoes or redistribute any polish, just condition, which called for something gentler.
    [/quote]

Oh well, for that purpose I'd introduce the Saphir Beauté du Cuir Crème Universelle to you. Nappy seems to be the thing for delicate leather.

20. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

Oh well, for that purpose I'd introduce the Saphir Beauté du Cuir Crème Universelle to you. Nappy seems to be the thing for delicate leather.[/QUOTE]

I'm well acquainted — Crème Universeille is the Beauté de Cuir version of the Medaille d'Or Leather Lotion, both of which aren't quite as "gentle" as the Nappa. I wanted something gentler and without as much solvent, i.e., Nappa balm.