Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Hanger Project: Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LA Guy, Aug 26, 2008.

1. loxo

loxo Senior member

My first attempt at shining shell cordovan with my new boots.
    Pleased to use the kit from Hanger Project. Deer bone, renoveteur, and cordovan polish. I'm still not entirely sure if/when I should use the MDO wax polish in the kit.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014

2. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

Nice kit and thanks for your first post!

3. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

This Shoe Shine Sunday's thrilling conclusion:

[​IMG]
    Join us next week!

4. wonsmithr8

wonsmithr8 Senior member

Hmm I'm looking at the suit hangers and still unsure about fit. I've got a 38" chest and 17.5" shoulders. Would I be going with the 15.5 or 17? Thanks!

5. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

I'd guess 17". You can always exchange for another size if you feel the fit is incorrect.

6. eddiemczee

eddiemczee Senior member

That's was a very generous offer Kirby and I appreciate it, but luckily it was my own forgetfulness that was the problem.

Looking forward to joining Shoe Shine Sunday next week!

7. ianbratton

ianbratton Member

In honor of the return of shoe shine sunday we should see if Ron can give us some photos from one of his latest shoe refinishing projects. :) I was polishing a set of his boots just last night.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014

8. kirbya

kirbya Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Pretty sure Ron is not doing as many patina projects given how crazy he has been with Saphir... but I'll see! Maybe he'll host a Shoe Shine Sunday and show us some patina work!

9. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

[​IMG]

10. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

anything else about cedes?

11. JMartin

JMartin Member

nice work!
    Generaly found the brush does the majority of the work

12. mfluder

mfluder Active Member

Hey Kirby - I saw in another thread you picked up 42 new Mario Talarico umbrellas - are they going up on the site soon?

13. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

Join us for another Shoe Shine Sunday this Sunday, February 23, 2014!

Yep — I'll be back on Sunday to host another Hanger Project Shoe Shine Sunday!

As a reminder, here's how it works: every Sunday, The Hanger Project will select a theme and post photographs here of us shining a pair of shoes, usually along with some explanation or instruction. We might even post a .gif or two.

You can participate with us by posting photographs here, on Sunday, of your shoes (calf, suede, cordovan, chromexcel, etc.) before and during/after shining. Everyone who participates (within the guidelines posted each Sunday) will be eligible to receive the promotion or win the product offered — the offering will be different each week.

We also encourage you to post questions here, whether on Sunday or throughout the week. Your questions can help us determine themes for subsequent Shoe Shine Sundays!

Our offer this week for the first ten (10) participants here in our thread is a free, yep, free Glass Water Dispenser to aid in your quest for the perfect mirror shine (to be featured on a future Sunday)! In addition, because we also want to interact with all of you on social media, anyone who participates in Shoe Shine Sunday here and also cross-posts to interact with us on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Tumblr (using the hashtag #shoeshinesunday) will be entered into a drawing to be held early next week for...

One (1) set of large leather backed La Cordonnerie Anglaise polishing brushes!

We look forward to seeing everyone Sunday and to seeing any questions or theme suggestions in the meantime!

Cheers,

RD

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014

14. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

Aaaaaaand...we're back!

Today I'm posting a little refresh polish regimen and I hope you all would like to give us all some insight into your polishing habits (PG-13 or less, please...) as by posting a photograph here today of you shining/polishing your shoes (before and after shots, please).

The first ten (10) participants here in our thread will receive a free, yep, free Glass Water Dispenser to aid in your quest for the perfect mirror shine (to be featured on a future Sunday)! In addition, because we also want to interact with all of you on social media, anyone who participates in Shoe Shine Sunday here today and also cross-posts to interact with us on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or Tumblr (using the hashtag #shoeshinesunday) will be entered into a drawing to be held early next week for...

One (1) set of large leather backed La Cordonnerie Anglaise polishing brushes!

Without further ado, let's get to it...

Today, I'm looking after a well worn pair of Silvano Sassetti for Ralph Lauren shoes that have, among other things, some unsightly wear and wax build up on the sole edges.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    The "damage"
    My set up for this adventure includes:
    La Cordonnerie Anglaise shoe shine carpet
    Saphir Leather Cleaning Soap
    Saphir Medaille d'Or Renovateur
    Saphir Medaille d'Or Pate de Luxe Glaçage Polish in dark brown, light brown, dark green and neutral
    Saphir Medaille d'Or Pommadier Cream Polish in medium brown
    Saphir Crème Rénovatrice in dark brown
    A small spatula brush
    A large polishing brush
    A leather-backed La Cordonnerie Anglaise polishing brush
    A cotton chamois cloth
    Fine grit sandpaper (400 or above)
    Water/alcohol mix
    Cotton pads
    As always, I first brushed vigorously and thoroughly with the leather-backed La Cordonnerie Anglaise polishing brush and then the large polishing brush to remove any surface adulterants.
    Then, I applied a very, very light application of Saphir Medaille d'Or Renovateur with a cotton chamois cloth to distribute some of the existing polish around the shoes. I paid particular attention to the sole edges, using a little more pressure than I did on the upper.

[​IMG]
    Reno Reno Reno

Then, I let the Renovateur dry...lightly brushed with both brushes to remove the Renovateur and softly buffed the shoes up with a cotton chamois cloth. I repeated that process twice more on the sole edges. Then, I cleaned and protected the welts using the small spatula brush and neutral Saphir Medaille d'Or Pate de Luxe Glaçage Polish. [You don't need to use a lot of the wax polish on the brush, but do make sure to really get into the welts with some light scrubbing action — think of it as brushing one's teeth (clean off the brush as needed with a towel).]

[​IMG]
    Look Ma, no cavities!

I was satisfied with the polish re-distribution on the upper, so I didn't apply any Saphir Medaille d'Or Pommadier Cream Polish. However, I did apply some medium brown to the toe caps with the non-felted side of a cotton pad to apply four to five (in this case, sometimes more, somewhat thin layers of cream. I let each layer dry thoroughly, then lightly brushed with both brushes and buffed with a cotton chamois cloth before repeating. One cotton pad lasted for two to three layers on each shoe.

[​IMG]
    Hey, where's the cream filling?

Once I was satisfied with my cream polishing on the toe caps, it was time to move on to Saphir Medaille d'Or Pate de Luxe Glaçage Polish in dark brown. Use very light amounts of wax polish to create a layer on each shoe (I prefer a cotton chamois cloth for this part), then brush lightly and buff as usual. I followed the dark brown up with layers of neutral, dark green and light brown for some depth.

A mirror finish to the toe caps of each shoe was next, primarily because I tend to destroy the toes of all of my shoes. Check back here for a future mirror shine Shoe Shine Sunday!

Lastly, I spent a considerable amount of time on the edges of my soles. There are a few different ways to smooth out sole edges, one being with actual edge setting shoe making tools, another with a deer bone and, in my case today (because a certain dog who shall not be named stole my deer bone), sandpaper. I applied another coat of Saphir Medaille d'Or Renovateur to the sole edges (the heels were fine) and, using that as lubricant, lightly worked the sole edges over where needed with fine grit sandpaper. Focusing on the areas with wax and other build up, I repeated this process to remove the build up and smooth the sole edge.

[​IMG]
    They like it rough
    Once I was satisfied that the sole edges were uniformly smooth and free of build up, I applied very, very thin layers of Saphir Crème Rénovatrice to renew and darken the sole edges. It's easy to go over board with this product, so be careful with it and take your time - it needs to go on quickly but uniformly in order to keep a smooth edge and avoid any buildup.

[​IMG]
    Smooth

Once the Saphir Crème Rénovatrice dried, I used the back of a heated spoon with heavy pressure to again smooth out the edges and then buffed the sole edges vigorously with a cotton chamois cloth. Finally, I applied a very thin layer of Saphir Medaille d'Or Pate de Luxe Glaçage Polish to the sole edges with a very slighly damp cotton pad, buffing the sole edges as I went to restore some of the original shine.

[​IMG]
    Voila!

That's it for today, as once again it's time for brunch and a cocktail because, well, I'm still alive.

Remember to be one of the first ten (10) members to post a photograph here today of you shining/polishing your shoes (before and after, please) to receive your free, yep, free Glass Water Dispenser! Keep the win rolling by also cross-posting your photos on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or Tumblr (using the hashtag #shoeshinesunday) so you can enter our drawing for One (1) set of large leather backed La Cordonnerie Anglaise polishing brushes!

I'll be checking back in on this thread throughout the day, so feel free to include any questions you might have along with your posts — who knows, the answer(s) may even be the subject of a future Shoe Shine Sunday!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014

15. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

Looks good Red.

This was my project:

[​IMG]

I recently ordered a new (real new) pair of Vass from @Notch and they arrived. Everything went very smoothly and I'm very grateful to him for the shoes. They looked sharp out of the box, but not quiet as red as I was hoping. I for new shoes I like to do the following: Renovateur, 2-3 layers of cream, 2-3 layers of wax. It gets a good start on things. For this, the best color match to the original shoe was probably the medium brown, but I went with the Mahogany because I wanted to redden them up a bit.

Here is the before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the after:

[​IMG]

I've also been working on my G&G decos recently, so here they are side by side:

[​IMG]