1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Hanger Project: Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LA Guy, Aug 26, 2008.

1. LeMaitreChat

LeMaitreChat Senior member

Well I was operating under the assumption that they were probably sitting on the shelf for awhile, so they were probably in need of some moisturizing. And they definitely hadn't been polished - you can see the difference in shine from the first picture to the last.

2. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

[​IMG]

Shoe shine Sunday. It's been a long time since I've been able to participate

3. macjedi

macjedi Senior member

@kirbya has a great article and tutorial on the subject: http://www.hangerproject.com/shoe-care-guide/how-to-shine-new-shoes

For new shell, I don't wax or polish, just condition once with Reno and then brush after every wear. The same might be said for lobb or AS's as they usually have a good glaze, but could benefit from moisture and brush/buffing.

4. macjedi

macjedi Senior member

Looking good LeMaitreChat! Enjoy your new Alden 901's!!

5. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

These Carmina austerity brogues looked OK--I noticed a scuff on the toe while prepping--but I hadn't polished them in a while and figured they could use some moisturizing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Applied a coat of black Glenkaren.

[​IMG]

Wait. Brush. Wait. Brush. Polishing cloth. Done.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. LeMaitreChat

Thanks! That same week I actually also bought a pair of 935s that I haven't yet polished [​IMG]

7. LeMaitreChat

8. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Nice shine!!! Is that the 9 inches brush from Nordstrom?

9. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

Those look great! How do you like the GlenKaren products? [/quote]
    Thanks, gents! I like GlenKaren. I haven't done side-by-side with Saphir yet, but the results seem just as good, and I kind of like a product with such a simple ingredient list. Also, it doesn't stain my fingers as much, which is nice. The brush is from shoecaresupplies.com. Good prices for large brushes, though the dark one loses a lot of bristles while brushing.

10. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Yeah. I bought my big brush (looks exactly like your's - check out my post) in Nordstrom downtown Seattle. Needless to say it is the best out of all the brushes.

11. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Glen Karen, I believe, is superior in the simplicity of the formula, and release less volatile compound thanks a lot to the orange oil used. The materials of Glen Karen can be readily source and found. However in terms of performance I think both are decent match to one another. Yet, the ingredients used in Glen Karen's can be so expensive mass manufacture can take so much money people would quit right when the idea was started.

Might as well give Glen Karen a try some day. The product can be so potential.

12. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

No very nice....very BEAUTIFUL:):)

13. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Oui Monsieur! However, that shine is too soft and can be improved with a goat hair brush, lambswool mitten or some kind of chamoisine cloth.

14. kirbya

kirbya Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Inis Meáin Factory Sample Sale

Hey guys - quick heads-up that I've finally received and listed the items I picked up while visiting Inis Meain in March. These items, mostly mediums, are factory samples. Every piece is unique (to us) -- one-of-one. Great opportunity to acquire some rare pieces from the Inis Meain archive in interesting colors and styles. I'll be discounting everything by 15% (thus "Factory Sample Sale").

Take a look and let me know if you have any favorites!

http://www.hangerproject.com/clothing-accessories/knitwear-polos.html

Cheers,

Kirby

15. europrep

europrep Senior member

Oh boy. Some very good looking make-ups. Time to get into some trouble.

Will SF discount work?

16. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

^ It works. Grabbed the green donegal cardigan.

1 person likes this.
  17. Louys

Louys Senior member

There's an SF discount?

18. europrep

europrep Senior member

19. kirbya

Since these are already discount, not technically.

20. kirbya

Inis Meáin Factory Visit Sample Sale

[​IMG]

Gentlemen - back in late March, I had the privilege of visiting the Irish island of Inis Meáin and spending time with Tarlach, the founder of the company named for the island. I'm still working on putting together a proper story that describes the experience, but the waterfall of spring/summer product that I've been working to load onto the website since returning has kept me from completing this. Nevertheless, I do want to go ahead and share some pictures.

Inis Meáin can be quite difficult to get to, especially during the fall and winter months when weather can completely shut off travel to and from the island. This island is an example of classic maritime weather: the weather changes five times during the day, with daily showers that can last just for a few moments. The weather is incredibly dynamic and, at times, brutal, which over time is what gave rise to the island's unique rock cliffs.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The island is accessed either through a twice-daily flight from the mainland or by ferry, though the ferry can get quite dodgey in rough weather. I'm fortunate that the skies were clear enough for me to fly, especially since the flight was only about 20 minutes.

One of the most defining characteristics of the island is the intricate network of stone walls that the islanders built over the centuries. The island is one large mosaic of stone walls, some as high as 10 feet and built using complex designs. Many of the stitches used by Inis Meáin's in its knitwear are inspired by some of these rock designs. In my mind, at least, the housewives who knitted celebration sweaters for their children and husbands surely took inspiration from the work being done by their husbands in the fields.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The drama of the island cannot be overstated. Between the beautiful mosaic of stone walls built by hand and hard labor over the centuries and the dramatic rock cliffs brutalized by the rough seas, Inis Meáin is an island of contrasts. Through their work, islanders expressed beauty and art in an environment and lifestyle hardened by nature.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

One of my pleasures while visiting the island was the opportunity to visit Inis Meáin's factory store. A beautiful piece of architecture designed by Tarlach's brother, the store serves essentially as an outlet for production samples and over-production. More than anything, though, it is a fantastic archive of some of the beautiful things that the company has produced in seasons past. One of my key complaints with "fashion" is the concept of seasonal collections. The problem with the idea of seasonal collections is that it requires an effort to come up with new stuff every year. And, with the focus on new stuff, fantastic pieces done previously rarely get adequate representation and appreciation. Something from three seasons ago, especially from a company like Inis Meáin, is just as classic and smart today as it was then.

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

This said, it was nearly impossible for me to pass up the opportunity to acquire many of these pieces to bring back and offer to my customers. A "Factory Sample Sale," if you will. So, after waiting to be photographed for the better part of a month, these pieces are finally online. I'll be officially announcing the Special Project to all of our customers Wednesday or Thursday, but wanted to release it to you guys first.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Shop Inis Meáin here.

P.S. This hasn't been proofed.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014