The Hanger Project: Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LA Guy, Aug 26, 2008.

1. nednil

nednil Member

Shoe Shine Sunday

Magnanni brown loafers

Saphir renovateur, cream and then wax with a brush shine. the products really does wonders to the leather and the shoes look almost like when i first bought them. was quite surprised when they were already quite shiny just by brushing. might try polishing with a cloth and water next time round- that should bring up the shine even more right?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  2. robbrechter

robbrechter Well-Known Member

1. Getting everything out to do a Presidential Shine. I used RenoMat on Thursday to strip all of the factory polish off of these shoes, which I have never worn. Took quite a bit of RenoMat to accomplish this. Hoping my backordered bottle comes soon.
    2. Renovateur applied
    3. Saphir black cream polish applied
    4. Excess cream polish brushed off
    5. Wax polish applied (1 thin coat all over shoe in black, 3 coats on toe cap -- 1 black, 2 navy)
    6. Final product, after buffing with chamois.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thinking about adding another layer or two of wax to the toe cap. Need to see what shoes look like in natural light first.

3. lightbulb1986

lightbulb1986 Member

I apologize if this has been answered previously, but the Neiman Marcus Ultimate Indulgence package seems like a significant savings. Is there any option to get a commensurate discount, substituting the felted pant hangers for trouser clips?

4. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    [​IMG]
    Perhaps a nice cedar box for EACH of my Saphir Shoes that have different Saphir colors on the uppers . . . would look nicer than just tossing everything into one large container.

5. moopband

moopband Well-Known Member

Hi

I just got my new Allen Edmonds Park Avenue (Black) shines at a highly rated place in NYC. However, the shine is way too shiny (spit shine/army shine) for my taste. What shoe products offered by hanger project would allow me to remove the sheen and then apply a more matte finish as I have seen on the website and throughout posts in this thread.

Thanks!

6. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

Wear them for a day and they will dull significantly. Trust me. Then Reno and use cream as necessary.

7. kirbya

kirbya Senior member Affiliate Vendor

If wearing them as RedDevil10 suggested does not do the trick, you could try using Saphir Reno'Mat or Saphir Leather Cleaning Soap.

8. moopband

Thanks for the response. Considering this was the first shine since I purchased them, would the soap be a better option as there haven't been too many layers of wax applied to them?

9. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would just put a coat of cream polish over the top of the factory finish. Cream polish doesn't give a high shine especially over coats of wax polish.

10. moopband

Sorry - my issue is that after the factory finish I got them shined at a place and they went for a mirror finish which I do not like. To remove that, would I need to use a soap or can I just use Saphir Renovateur on top of this which will get me back to a matte finish with a subtle shine?

11. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would just use a cream polish. It will dull the spit shine you received.

12. kirbya

kirbya Senior member Affiliate Vendor

The Cleaning Soap would totally dull your finish; absolutely no need to use Reno'Mat on a new pair of shoes. And you could also try Patrick's recommendation of just some cream polish. If all you do is apply and then buff off with a horsehair brush, it shouldn't produce much of a shine and would dull any previously applied high-gloss polish (thus the difficulty in actually obtaining a very high-gloss shine). The additional waxes would only help protect the leather.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  13. brentm

brentm Active Member

What's a good shoe cleaning procedure for suede shoes? I just got a pair of blue suede Grenson loafers and I want to make sure I'm taking proper care of them.

14. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Three weeks later, still waiting for the vendor to chime in...

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  15. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

got my first order of suit hangers from THP a few days ago. truly fantastic. highly recommended.