• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kirby Allison: Affiliate thread

nednil

Reaction score
Shoe Shine Sunday

Magnanni brown loafers

Saphir renovateur, cream and then wax with a brush shine. the products really does wonders to the leather and the shoes look almost like when i first bought them. was quite surprised when they were already quite shiny just by brushing. might try polishing with a cloth and water next time round- that should bring up the shine even more right?

Last edited:

robbrechter

Reaction score
1. Getting everything out to do a Presidential Shine. I used RenoMat on Thursday to strip all of the factory polish off of these shoes, which I have never worn. Took quite a bit of RenoMat to accomplish this. Hoping my backordered bottle comes soon.
2. Renovateur applied
3. Saphir black cream polish applied
4. Excess cream polish brushed off
5. Wax polish applied (1 thin coat all over shoe in black, 3 coats on toe cap -- 1 black, 2 navy)
6. Final product, after buffing with chamois.

Thinking about adding another layer or two of wax to the toe cap. Need to see what shoes look like in natural light first.

lightbulb1986

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been answered previously, but the Neiman Marcus Ultimate Indulgence package seems like a significant savings. Is there any option to get a commensurate discount, substituting the felted pant hangers for trouser clips?

David Copeland

Reaction score

Perhaps a nice cedar box for EACH of my Saphir Shoes that have different Saphir colors on the uppers . . . would look nicer than just tossing everything into one large container.

moopband

Reaction score
Hi

I just got my new Allen Edmonds Park Avenue (Black) shines at a highly rated place in NYC. However, the shine is way too shiny (spit shine/army shine) for my taste. What shoe products offered by hanger project would allow me to remove the sheen and then apply a more matte finish as I have seen on the website and throughout posts in this thread.

Thanks!

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi

I just got my new Allen Edmonds Park Avenue (Black) shines at a highly rated place in NYC. However, the shine is way too shiny (spit shine/army shine) for my taste. What shoe products offered by hanger project would allow me to remove the sheen and then apply a more matte finish as I have seen on the website and throughout posts in this thread.

Thanks!

Wear them for a day and they will dull significantly. Trust me. Then Reno and use cream as necessary.

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Hi

Thanks!

If wearing them as RedDevil10 suggested does not do the trick, you could try using Saphir Reno'Mat or Saphir Leather Cleaning Soap.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would just put a coat of cream polish over the top of the factory finish. Cream polish doesn't give a high shine especially over coats of wax polish.

moopband

Reaction score
I would just put a coat of cream polish over the top of the factory finish. Cream polish doesn't give a high shine especially over coats of wax polish.

Sorry - my issue is that after the factory finish I got them shined at a place and they went for a mirror finish which I do not like. To remove that, would I need to use a soap or can I just use Saphir Renovateur on top of this which will get me back to a matte finish with a subtle shine?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would just use a cream polish. It will dull the spit shine you received.

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Sorry - my issue is that after the factory finish I got them shined at a place and they went for a mirror finish which I do not like.  To remove that, would I need to use a soap or can I just use Saphir Renovateur on top of this which will get me back to a matte finish with a subtle shine?

The Cleaning Soap would totally dull your finish; absolutely no need to use Reno'Mat on a new pair of shoes. And you could also try Patrick's recommendation of just some cream polish. If all you do is apply and then buff off with a horsehair brush, it shouldn't produce much of a shine and would dull any previously applied high-gloss polish (thus the difficulty in actually obtaining a very high-gloss shine). The additional waxes would only help protect the leather.

Last edited:

brentm

Reaction score
What's a good shoe cleaning procedure for suede shoes? I just got a pair of blue suede Grenson loafers and I want to make sure I'm taking proper care of them.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
got my first order of suit hangers from THP a few days ago. truly fantastic. highly recommended.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads