1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Hanger Project: Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LA Guy, Aug 26, 2008.

1. kirbya

kirbya Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Shouldn't be...

2. wqvong

wqvong Senior member

Thanks dude for ruining it for people...

3. crizq0

crizq0 Member

I received my presidential shine kit and I must say, the renovator is amazing! Now I just need practice using the wax.
    Thanks for packing the wax in a ziplock bag, I need to remember not to order waxes during the hot summer.

Out of curiosity, can the reno be used on alligator skin watch straps? If not, is there a product that is recommended for reptile hide?

4. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

Saphir Reptan, Kirby sells that as well.

5. kirbya

6. europrep

europrep Senior member

I have purchased a lot of things from Kirby over the past year, but thought I would give a quick "thumbs up" for the Digital Velocity V100 Iron. I have used it about a dozen times, so I can't speak to long term durability, but I can say it is well worth the difference in price over a standard $50 iron. The steam is very consistent, I have not had any drip problems, and my shirts look extremely crisp when finished.

The only slight negative is the positioning of the digital controls. They sit on the handle, so the first time I used the iron, I kept hitting the off button. Once you get used to it, problem solved.

7. kirbya

Thanks, Europrep! The Digital Velocity is a fantastic iron for a hand-held. The big thing that really differentiates this iron is that it has a separate heating element inside the iron that generates the steam. Most irons generate steam when the water makes content with the heated sole plate. The result it better steam and no spitting.

However, my favorite obsession are their pressure irons. These things produce so much steam I couldn't stop laughing the first time I used it. And we just begun carrying a 220v version of their Up-Air and Vacuum Board. Another essential for someone really serious about their ironing.

8. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

What about Kangaroo?

9. Itsuo

Itsuo Senior member

Kirby,

I've really been enjoying your OTC 830 socks all summer long but I must say I've had a hard time with holes. I think out of my ~6 pairs, almost each sock has been darned at least once. I'm not sure if it is the trade off with them being so sheer or maybe the fact that I put at least 8 miles on them per wear.. I rotate them with about 4 different pairs of shoes and I even safety-pinned one of each pair near the top to try and make sure I alternate which foot their on. Nothing really helped. (I did try to follow your advice on avoiding holes as well, it helped some.) Hopefully next summer I can get a whole new line up and give each pair less wear? Do you the the 920 would be any stronger? Also any chance you'll do a limited run in silk for black-tie rigs?

10. The Silverfox

The Silverfox Senior member

Hello, reposting this from a separate thread as it was pointed out to me this is probably the best place to ask.

I was planning on just getting a tie rack, but was deterred by the $50 shipping that the hanger project would charge, but as stuff on amazon is outrageously expensive, I figure I might just get it from Kirby Allison and get some suit/overcoat hangers since I'm paying the $50 in shipping anyways and it doesn't seem to increase even if I add more stuff. Think it went up like $5 when I quadrupled the size of my order

So.... I wear 44 long (from Ede&Ravenscroft if that makes a difference),and I was planning on getting a few suit hangers and a hanger of my overcoat.

Kirby recommends 17 inch hangers for jackets up to size 44, but when I measure my jackets I get closer to 19.3 inches, and for my overcoat more like 20.1 inches.

Obviously the 44 long overcoat isn't made to be 44 long, but rather to fit a guy who's 44 long, therefore it's made to fit over a 44 long suit, so it makes sense for that measurement to be off, but when kirby recommends 17 inches for a 44 and I get 19.3 inches I'm worried that I'm screwing up the measurement or that there's something weird with either his recommendation or the sizing of my suits.

So I'm wondering, for those who have had his hangers before, how did you find the sizing? Did you buy based on his recommendation for suit sizes? If so how did it end up fitting, was the recommendation accurate?

Does anyone have any tips for me to figure this out? I'd hate to spend money and find out I got the wrong size when the stuff arrives.

Thanks
    Silverfox

11. europrep

europrep Senior member

^ I use his 17 inch hangers for my size US40 suit and jackets and they fit great. Make sure to use the style forum code to get 10% off your order: StyleForum

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  12. kirbya

Silverfox - thanks for your post.

For a 44 long, you could probably go to an 18.5", especially if you also plan to use them for overcoats. Because we've had a lot of experience with jacket measurements overstating the hanger size, we've tried to move away from that to a Jacket-size-only sizing guide. But even then, it's still an imperfect science.

As for shipping - I presume we'd be shipping internationally. Unfortunately, there isn't much we can do there because everything we sell ships really large. I actually lose on most our international shipping. But if you think shipping is overstated, email me after you place your order and I'll be happy to adjust downward if it comes out cheaper than what we quoted.

13. kirbya

Itsuo - sorry to hear about your socks. Do you keep your toenails trimmed? If you have a long toe nail, because of how thin these socks are, they'll saw right through the end. When I first started wearing these nicer socks, I had the same problem. But keeping my big toenail trimmed short has essentially eliminated the problem.

With standard, thicker socks, it isn't a problem. But the socks also suck.

I'd also recommend pulling out a needle and darning (sewing) any holes shut. Gives the sock character! I've done this with a few pairs before I figured out the toenail issue.

PM me before you place any new orders and I'll give you a courtesy kickback for the damaged socks.

1 person likes this.
  14. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Senior member

How would I get rid of this water mark?
    [​IMG]

15. kirbya

You could try a little Reno'Mat. I'm experimenting with the Hirve Winter Stain Remover this week (on another forum member's shoes) that's supposed to remove water stains. I'll let you know how it works out.

1 person likes this.
  16. Itsuo

Itsuo Senior member

Thanks Kirby. I did see your guide to making the socks last by keeping the nails at bay may have helped but I had holes in several different places across my different pairs. Again, I maintain this is at least in part a function of the mileage I put on these socks. I do like them very much and agree that darning does give them personality!

Perhaps the sock darning could be a future DIY feature on your site? I know I would surely appreciate it.

17. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    Congratulations on your upgraded website with new material and more defined aids.

Unfortunately, the dull white text on black in the descriptions are still to hard for me to read. unless I expand the screen or block out the text to see the white text better.

Perhaps you could run a Poll at this forum and ask others when viewing the following new page:

http://www.hangerproject.com/shoe-care-guide/

18. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Senior member

Any update on Hirve Winter Stain Remover ?

19. Marc Voorhees

Marc Voorhees Senior member

Hello , Dos the promotional code StyleForum no longer work? I am looking to buy several more hangers...

Thanks in advance!

marc

20. kirbya

Going to make myself sit down and do it tomorrow.