• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kirby Allison: Affiliate thread

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kirby - Do you offer any edge dressing products on your site? I didn't see any and would like to suggest adding it to have a complete end-to-end site for shoe care. If you do have it, I am having trouble finding it.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks guys! We can always work something out with shipping. Best just to contact us. If you purchased $50 of shoe are, we would refund any shipping associated with such a small item.
The Armenic Papers are great. I leave them in my sock drawer where they make my socks smell really nice. Also take them with me on trips for the hotel room. They're an interesti cross between insence and potpourrie.

Great! Happy you are willing to work with the shipping costs for SF members. I sent you two emails and a PM, still waiting to hear back.

bostonbob

Reaction score
I am new to high end shoe polishing and have been on your site. I plan to order saphir paste and other implements but have some questions. First, I have some black and some brown cordovan shoes from C&J and also brown, but not cordovan, C&J shoes. First set of questions, do you like to apply the paste (C&J advises against the creams) with a dauber or with chamois or with something else. If a dauber, all the daubers I have used over the years have gotten caked with paste and brittle and ultimately useless. Is there some way that I can clean the daubers after use to extend their life, does it matter that the hairs get brittle from paste, or do I just have to resign myself to buying a new dauber every year or so? Assuming I should use a chamois, since I only have two different color shoes, should I just use two different chamois and then how do I care for the chamois (or do I need to buy new ones every year or so). Second set of questions, on your website, you also talk about applying the Reno Mat, the Dubbin Graisse and the Renovateur with a chamois - should I buy different chamois for each application and how do I care for/how long should I expect those to last. Final set of questions, what different functions do the Reno Mat, Dubbin Graisse and Renovateur perform? They all seem to be cleaning and nourishing solutions so I 'm not sure if I need them all and do you know if C&J recommends for or against using any of the products on either their hand grade or cordovan shoes? Thanks very much. I look forward to using these products to get a long, beautiful life out of my shoes.

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I am new to high end shoe polishing and have been on your site.  I plan to order saphir paste and other implements but have some questions. First, I have some black and some brown cordovan shoes from C&J and also brown, but not cordovan, C&J shoes.  First set of questions, do you like to apply the paste (C&J advises against the creams) with a dauber or with chamois or with something else.  If a dauber, all the daubers I have used over the years have gotten caked with paste and brittle and ultimately useless.  Is there some way that I can clean the daubers after use to extend their life, does it matter that the hairs get brittle from paste, or do I just have to resign myself to buying a new dauber every year or so?  Assuming I should use a chamois, since I only have two different color shoes, should I just use two different chamois and then how do I care for the chamois (or do I need to buy new ones every year or so). Second set of questions, on your website, you also talk about applying the Reno Mat, the Dubbin Graisse and the Renovateur with a chamois - should I buy different chamois for each application and how do I care for/how long should I expect those to last.  Final set of questions, what different functions do the Reno Mat, Dubbin Graisse and Renovateur perform?  They all seem to be cleaning and nourishing solutions so I 'm not sure if I need them all and do you know if C&J recommends for or against using any of the products on either their hand grade or cordovan shoes?  Thanks very much.  I look forward to using these products to get a long, beautiful life out of my shoes.  

Hi Bob -

Lot of questions. Let me see if I can answer them here:

1. We actually encourage the use of cream polishes because they offer more nourishment to the leather than wax polishes. For cordovan leathers, Saphir has a formulated a special Cordovan Shoe Polish that is great. I would recommend using this with cordovan leathers, as it is formulated especially for it.

2. I personally use a cotton chamois to apply polish, as I find it allows me to better control the amount I apply and to better massage it into the leather.

3. I just use a different area of the chamois to apply polish. When your chamois gets really dirty, you can hand wash it with some mild detergent, handsoap, or a little Reno'Mat. Reno'Mat also works great to remove caked polish from daubers.

4. Our Saphir Presidential Shoeshine speaks at great length on how to use all of these products together. I might skip the Dubbin on any Cordovan leathers.

Let me know if you have any additional questions!

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We just uploaded a bunch of photography to our new Hanger Project Gallery. Take a look at some of the other products that we offer:

yywwyy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a quick review as a new customer: After trying a set of Kirby's suit hangers, I have to say they are hands-down the best hangers available. They're beautiful as well as shaped perfectly for suits. I bought a few more sets to put most of my suits on them. I'd highly recommend for anyone contemplating. Also, as others would attest, Kirby's customer service has been excellent, and it's been a pleasure to work with him.

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
FYI Guys - we're doing free shipping on all Saphir orders over $30 this weekend (instead of the normal $50). Just got a 400 lb shipment of polish, so we're fully stocked after their summer holiday. No promotional code needed.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two questions Kirby:

Are your garment bags breathable?

Also, is there a shipping discount at the moment?

Thank you...

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Two questions Kirby:
Are your garment bags breathable?
Also, is there a shipping discount at the moment?
Thank you...

Are Garment Bags are very breathable... they are constructed from a high-quality 8-10 oz cotton twill with a fully fused (and lined) gusset. Beautiful bags.

No free shipping at the moment, though, except on shoecare stuff.

Gilmour

Reaction score
I live in Australia

Things I am interested in

1 Garment Bag for Suit

1 luxury Suit Hanger

1 Mort Travel Shoe Horn

Saphr products so much to choose from and not alot of time to read right through shoe care advice.
At the moment I have One pair of Brown Loake I will add a pair of Black soon
Can you list me the products I need for careing for these 2 shoe colors, brushes & cloths also.

Now I am thinking that the shipping cost may be to much for me to bare how much $ to ship all this to Australia.

cheers

Last edited:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Placed another Saphir order today, i am amazed at the luster and water repelling properties of the Saphir polishes. Great products, from a reliable source.

Naka

Reaction score

I live in Australia 

Things I am interested in

1 Garment Bag for Suit

1 luxury Suit Hanger

2 Epic Shoe trees size small ?? ( I have size 8 UK )

1 Mort Travel Shoe Horn

Saphr products  so much to choose from and not alot of time to read right through shoe care advice.
At the moment I have One pair of Brown Loake I will add a pair of Black soon
Can you list me the products I need for careing for these 2 shoe colors,  brushes & cloths also. 

Now I am thinking that the shipping cost may be to much for me to bare how much $ to ship all this to Australia.

cheers

If you want to go the whole nine yeards with Saphir, you should get the following:

Renovateur
Black and Dark Brown Shoe Cream\
Black and Mid Brown Shoe polish
2 X Horsehair brushes, one for each colour
You can add daubers if you like, I just use cut up pieces from an old shirt.

The shipping to Aus is very expensive, and although I love the Hangers I have now it's really putting me off buying one of the shirt/suit hanger combo packages. I've been putting aside money for it, because the hangers are fantastic and shipping a big box full of coathangers is an expensive endeavour, especially when you're shipping it halfway around the world.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mr. Kirby,

Is there still free shipping for Saphir products? I don't see the option when i try to check out.

Another question, what polish & cream color would you suggest for GG vintage cherry?

Thank you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads