• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hand Sewn Buttonhole Thread

abslide

Reaction score
On appreciation of hand sewn buttonholes:

I was dropping an MTM suit at the dry cleaners the other day, and an elderly gentleman in a dark blazer and smart trousers walked in. He walked over toward me, then began to closely examine the buttonholes on my suit.

"This is beautiful work, where did you get this made?"

"Indonesia."

"Keep it up."

Absolutely made my week.

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What a difference a hole makes! Such fine work from Minussi.

boutonnieres-avant-apres_2.jpg

http://www.minussi.com

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score

R.O. Thornhill, since your location is London and your hole is of the lucida style, I will say Chittleborough&Morgan.

Nicely done!

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont know how I havent subscribed to this thread. So much good in here!

rgould

Reaction score
I would like to know this for NYC and LA as well...

Anyone know a tailor who will do milanese buttonholes in London- just the buttonholes?

Fine Lifestyle

Reaction score
I'm extremely particular about my hand sewn button holes for my suits and jackets and have searched near and far for a top notch tailor in NYC. After years of mediocre at best, and botched jobs, I finally found a crown jewel! My personal tailor developed a relationship with the seamstress who sews button holes for the NYC Brioni boutique. He brings my suits to her after he's completed alterations and has her sew beautiful button holes. Feel free to PM me for details. My tailor isn't taking new clients but I can prob get him to pass on garments to the Brioni seamstress.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On appreciation of hand sewn buttonholes:

I was dropping an MTM suit at the dry cleaners the other day, and an elderly gentleman in a dark blazer and smart trousers walked in. He walked over toward me, then began to closely examine the buttonholes on my suit.

"This is beautiful work, where did you get this made?"

"Indonesia."

"Keep it up."

Absolutely made my week.

May I ask you where you had your suit made? I didn't know good quality MTM was available in Indonesia.

Sincere

Reaction score
Hi guys, can anyone recommend someone that can do Milanese lapel buttonholes in London?

kingsidney

Reaction score
Hello, I'm in Kenya and new to this forum. I apologize in advance for asking any question that might not belong in this section. Your 3 button cuff is extremely nice. How do I raise the button hole like you've done? Also, where can i import some of the thread types you've used to make this particular set of button holes. We don't have them easily available over here.

Yeah, I'm a little scared to go down this path. I fear it may be a slippery slope (although you would say the same thing about milanèse buttonholes, I suppose). I already have an idea on how to reduce the time it takes with stripped twist though! :devil:

I find it interesting how much I appreciate the 3-button cuff aesthetic now that I'm doing them myself :D

AtnCy.jpg
[/QUOTE]

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How do I raise the button hole like you've done?

Use gimp, specifically Gutermann's Agreman gimp. It comes in more than one size- use size No. 1 for that effect. You might consider Gutermann's R753 silk thread for buttonholes, but a number of other vendors make silk twist as well.

Also, where can i import some of the thread types you've used to make this particular set of button holes. We don't have them easily available over here.

Here are a few sources, there are others.

B. Black
Wawak
Kenton

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads