• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Greeks take over my campus.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
We were also kicked out when somebody got drunk and decided to shoot beer bottles out of the hands of people at the house next door. I think it was only for five years, but I was gone before reinstatement.

I hope you lads were using a pellet gun and not a serious firearm. The former sounds like kind of a fun prank, the latter would be dangerous and crazy!

I was shot a couple of times with powerful pellet guns: My uncle's stepson shot me in the leg with a pellet gun. I can still see the scar by looking closely, 54 1/2 years later. My response was to wrest the gun away from him (although he was several years older and larger than I) and shoot him in the leg as he begged and screamed for mercy. He later became a mercenary in the Congo, which I thought was way cool. Lost touch with him eventually.

Another time I was shot from ambush with a pellet gun at prep school. Never found out who did it, but I have some strong suspicions. My prime suspect later was a jet jock in Nam, which redeemed him, I suppose.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Another time I was shot from ambush with a pellet gun at prep school. Never found out who did it, but I have some strong suspicions. My prime suspect later was a jet jock in Nam, which redeemed him, I suppose.

If John McCain shot you with a pellet gun in high school, you better break this story before the election.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I hope you lads were using a pellet gun and not a serious firearm. The former sounds like kind of a fun prank, the latter would be dangerous and crazy!

Yes, it was a pellet gun, but the guy hit a couple of female guests, and that went over pretty badly. The worst part is that the shooter was a guy from our Northridge chapter who was just visiting.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I was shot a couple of times with powerful pellet guns: My uncle's stepson shot me in the leg with a pellet gun. I can still see the scar by looking closely, 54 1/2 years later. My response was to wrest the gun away from him (although he was several years older and larger than I) and shoot him in the leg as he begged and screamed for mercy. He later became a mercenary in the Congo, which I thought was way cool. Lost touch with him eventually.

My father used to keep an air rifle near the door to shoot gulls that might gather on his dock and defecate all over it and our boats.

One day he deduced that the rifle had lost its power. I told him he the birds had simply become used to the pain or the noise. (I didn't point out that his eyesight might've deteriorated to the point that he was repeatedly missing his targets!)

To test his theory he walked out the 30 yards or so to the edge of the dock, turned his back, and asked me to shoot him with the gun in question.
eh.gif
I resisted, but after he continued to cajole me, I drew a bead and fired away.

He howled so loud the neighbors several hundred feet away came running; while I ran as fast as I could in the opposite direction.
bounce2.gif

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
If John McCain shot you with a pellet gun in high school, you better break this story before the election.

Nah, McCain went to the Episcopal High School in Alexandria, Virginia, and graduated in 1954. I went to the Midland Ranch School for Boys (also Episcopal affiliated), Los Olivos, California. Started in 1956, graduated 1959. It is now just "Midland School" since they went co-ed in the '70s.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Yes, it was a pellet gun, but the guy hit a couple of female guests, and that went over pretty badly. The worst part is that the shooter was a guy from our Northridge chapter who was just visiting.

A pity his marksmanship was so poor. However, the shrieks and howls of the wounded girls must have been entertaining!

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
Ey, na sou po, pedia. Xpovia Polla! OXI DAY simera, den einai?

nod[1].gif
28th Oct.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah most of my friends over in Athens had the day-off. Not the way it works in this side of the world, unfortunately.

Ade gamo!

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My closest friends now were in my house in college. Good times.

TJS1589

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
Whether or not you join a frat, what the **** are you doing in Tuscaloosa without a fake id?
I do have a fake and I have used it around here. It's fun, but in the end you are still meeting mostly people 3 years older than you and I would like to meet more my age. And i wish I could pull a girl 3 years older than me but I would think that could be hard.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've never actually possessed a fake ID. Proof that you don't need one to drink like a fish.

Story: I once used a black guy's ID to get into a bar in Albany.

NOLA1

Reaction score
I got my first fake ID from while pledging at Bama. The fake ID guy stopped by the house, spread out several binders on the pool table (the binders were full of IDs the fake ID salesman acquired while working as a bouncer in t-town) and sold each of us an ID or 2 for about $25 each. I was Josh Gidcumb from Aurora, IL. Looked nothing like me but got me into bars for about 2 years.

The hazing at Alabama is awful. The physical abuse was rough but the mental beatdown was worse. That said, most freshmen believe they must join to fit in. It really seems like everyone is greek b/c you don't know any better. The frat/sorority t-shirts dominate. Once you hit the middle of your second year (I don't call it sophomore year b/c most 2nd year students at UA haven't reached sophomore status hour-wise) you will realize that it is a bunch of douchebaggery. That school is so chalked full of gorgeous women (greek and non-greek) that everyone should be able to pull ridiculously hot ass. You'll be fine. Enjoy it, enjoy football and take advantage of those co-eds.

Have you bought the uniform yet? Gray New Balance 991/992, Wallabees, polo shirt in every color, north face denali, croakies, the bama haircut, short shorts?

Read up on "the machine"

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
to the OP, you said you go to a big school, are there not groups of kids who aren't in a fraternity? I thought about it and was approached by a few frats in undergrad but never went for it. My roomate was in sig ep and he told me the ridicoulous crap he had to do to get in (stay up all night getting signatures from people waiting for the train at 4am, drinking concoctions that made you puke, etc.) Sounded like a bunch of BS. I made my own friends.

dl

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads