• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Greeks take over my campus.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought about joining one here at Ohio State but, while frats/sororities comprise a fairly significant amount of the student body percentage wise (~10% IIRC), the actual number of students here is ~55,000 so it isn't actually that many people. I don't feel like going through the pledging process, not worth it IMO. My boss has been urging me to pledge Sig Ep, mainly because her BF was in it I guess. He is rather douchey so I think I will pass

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a lot of benefits outside of the traditional norm many people see, however I have no qualms if it's something someone isn't interested in. I actually fail to understand how the OP would find it so bothersome, I have many friends who aren't part of the fraternal/sorority system, and I never really think of them any different.

chas

Reaction score
If you want less pressure join the stoner frat

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Καλά ρε φίλε, τι περίμενες;

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
Baah.
Tipota, re. Malakies. Ti na sou po?

hahaha

vre pethia pos vrethikame etho?

Beta

Reaction score
I couldn't fathom not being a part of the fraternity system...if you had told me that the friends I have now, jobs ive gotten, athletic leagues I participate in, roommates ive had, etc. were all from a decision i made in a matter of days when I was 18 I wouldn't have believed it. One of the best decisions Ive ever made.

btw, 3500 must include room, board, social, and national dues.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I remember a similar thread from a year ago. I had a great time in my fraternity (SAE). It was at a much smaller school and we didn't have official fraternity houses (banned by the school) so it was much cheaper - like $150 a semester. When rushing, don't expect the brothers to fall over themselves to be your friend (at least at the good ones). You need to work to meet the people and see if you have anything in common, and they will [usually] do the same if they think you're a strong candidate. If you don't no big deal and move on to the next fraternity. That's the whole point of rushing. Some fraternities are pretty weak in that regard and would cluster around themselves and a handful of the rushes some of them may already know. Others try hard to make sure they get to know as many of the rushes as possible.

My chapter was the strongest fraternity at my school. And we acted like it so we definately had a reputation of being arrogant. However, when we did find a good rush, we definately worked hard to try to get them to accept a bid. And rarely did they decline us for a different fraternity.

I never cosidered it as paying for your friends since being a brother didn't guarantee you would have any friends. Plus as a pretty shy, introspective person I learned a lot through pledging and would do it again though it was pretty time consuming.

For the OP, PM me for extra questions if you like.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TJS1589
Alright im 18 and go to a big university. A little over 27,000. And The greeks take over it seems. Everyone you see in all my classes are greek. And the people really take no interest in you if you are not. I have thought about joining the greeks just because it seems like you have to, but i dont really like the whole idea of paying for friends and the fact that they beat the **** out of their pledges here and if they dont give a damn who you are now, then why would they if you pay so much to be in it($3,500 semester)? And there is no individualism in it. Everyone dresses and acts the same way, just pisses me off. It is ridiculous what they wear and how they act just to fit in. But i guess the question is where to go to meet non greeks? Most of my classes are filled with all greek obviously. And the bars are 21 ^ around here.
musicboohoo[1].gif
Sorry so long just got out of class and saw all of the greeks and have been pissed off (jealous that they have a good time while i hate to admit it they do) about this for awhile so any suggestions??

They don't have frats over here, but most of my close friends who are at school in the U.S. are in one, so I have a pretty good picture of what they're like. Like most exclusive groups (exclusive in the strict sociological sense, not in a socioeconomic sense), from metalheads to vegans, they seem a great deal more homogeneous and stifling of individuality from outside than from inside. One of the advantages of joining a frat is that it makes all of the first-year legwork of meeting large numbers of people and then deciding which ones you like enough to become friends with a lot easier. Also, it's an automatic source of parties to go to and women to meet/bang. The only real downside is that it is harder to socialize with people who aren't in frats. Also keep in mind that you do get a lot of free beer and food in the bargain, as well as at least one, usually more, good hookup for more illicit intoxicants. As far as hazing goes, you'll probably have to do some fucked up ****, but nothing that's actually going to harm/injure you. Lots of pushups and wallsits and variations on that theme, plus occasionally being required to eat something disgusting (a stick of butter covered in dip was one of the worst I've heard.) But mostly it consists of being the errand ***** for the older guys, and if you aren't stupid/cocky/annoying you can probably avoid being treated too badly. Whether or not you join a frat, what the **** are you doing in Tuscaloosa without a fake id?

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
Whether or not you join a frat, what the **** are you doing in Tuscaloosa without a fake id?

The only reasons to venture near Tuscaloosa are to eat at Dreamland and bang Alpha Omega Pi girls.

K

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
I came into this thread thinking actual Greeks. Like Athenians.

Telos padon.

yeah, talk about a letdown.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekonomist
yeah, talk about a letdown.

The collegiate Greeks of America are carrying on the torch of the orgies of the Ancient Greeks.

K

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
vre pethia pos vrethikame etho?

Κι 'αλλος εδώ; Καλά ρε, δεν έχετε άλλη δουλειά να κάνετε;
biggrin.gif

Υ.γ. μήπως φτάσαμε στην κατάσταση όπου χρειαζόμαστε ένα ελληνικό subforum στο SF;
lol8[1].gif

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
The only reasons to venture near Tuscaloosa are to eat at Dreamland and bang Alpha Omega Pi girls. K
I think you mean AOII (Alpha Omicron Pi). As far as I know, there is no Alpha Omega Pi national, and definitely not one at Bama. How are AOII at Bama, though? What's their rep? I'm assuming it's pretty different from the chapter here... Dreamland is ******* awesome, though...
inlove.gif
Originally Posted by cpmac7
I am going through the same problem at the moment. I transferred from another school, I am older then my potential pledge class would be. I really wouldn't like to be talked down to or even hazed by an 18 year old!!! I think I can still enjoy college life without joining the FRATS!
Originally Posted by TJS1589
Yea thats what I am thinking, I dont want someone younger than me hazing me.
Originally Posted by Connemara
I thought about joining one here at Ohio State but, while frats/sororities comprise a fairly significant amount of the student body percentage wise (~10% IIRC), the actual number of students here is ~55,000 so it isn't actually that many people. I don't feel like going through the pledging process, not worth it IMO. My boss has been urging me to pledge Sig Ep, mainly because her BF was in it I guess. He is rather douchey so I think I will pass
NFM = Not Frat Material. No offense, but if these are the kind of concerns you have, maybe fraternities are just not for you. You'll probably be much happier being GDIs for the rest of your college days. PS: I've met some SigEps at OSU. They seem like good guys from what I've seen.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redgrail
I think you mean AOII (Alpha Omicron Pi). As far as I know, there is no Alpha Omega Pi national, and definitely not one at Bama.
How are AOII at Bama, though? What's their rep? I'm assuming it's pretty different from the chapter here...
Dreamland is ******* awesome, though...
inlove.gif

You are right, Omicron. Its been about 11 years since I was dating that girl. I wasn't going to Bama, so I cant comment exhaustively, but she and her sisters were quality.

They apperantly have a number of Dreamland franchises in GA and AL. Oddly, I think that the others have more variety in their menu. I remember just having a choice of whole slab, half slab, or rib sandwich. Wonderbread and a bag of chips for sides.

K

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ey, na sou po, pedia. Xpovia Polla! OXI DAY simera, den einai?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads