• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Great Polo Shirt Conundrum

erpet

Reaction score
Polos are brilliant casual wear, actually as casual as I will ever be seen outside of the gym.

Having entered my forties, I always wear shirts with collars, i.e. the polo has become what the t-shirt was when I was in my twenties. Dress your age, as they say.

For the office? Possibly if you work on a Saturday in July.

bigasahouse

Reaction score

I pretty much only wear polo shirts while on vacation, and maybe a few times during the Danish 3 week summer.

gQbYB.jpg

img2949ex.jpg
It just struck me how alike these fits look, even though none of the items are the same across the two pics.

Those look nice. Who makes them?

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both are Sunspel. Top one is with their wowen t-shirt fabric (not the usual polo piqué). Bottom one is their Riviera polo which I had both slimmed and shortened.

AE7

Reaction score

Both are Sunspel. Top one is with their wowen t-shirt fabric (not the usual polo piqué). Bottom one is their Riviera polo which I had both slimmed and shortened.

I have a Sunspel Rivera polo. Mine was a bit short, and I am in Long sizing. The fabric gets very light after few wears, although it makes it look nice at the sea. Why did not you size down in Rivera?

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't size down as I'm a M in everything else from Sunspel and I think that a S would have gotten too slim over the shoulders. As it is I actually think the sleeves are too short.

AE7

Reaction score

Didn't size down as I'm a M in everything else from Sunspel and I think that a S would have gotten too slim over the shoulders. As it is I actually think the sleeves are too short.

Yours or mine? Mine too me are short. Yours, in both pictures look quite proportional.

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would've prefered my Riviera sleeves a bit longer, though they may look fine in that pic.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally love polo shirts but context is key. They are great casual weekend wear and polos with a nice pair of linen pants is a dramatic step up from the more common jeans and t-shirt look. As a practical matter, when it gets really hot, they're kind of nice too. The only context in which I can see them in the office, however, is on a "casual Friday" during the summer. They're not a formal garment and shouldn't be treated as one, but they're a hell of a lot more elegant than a t-shirt. Hell, I've been asked why I'm dressed up wearing a polo tucked into linen pants.

I really like the BB Golden Fleece slim fit and Polo Ralph Lauren custom fit polos. These eliminate some of the boxiness that people in the thread have complained about. I think they're well worth the $40-$50 you can get them for on sale pretty easily. Personally never cared for Lacoste or found anything else worthwhile. YMMV. Some of my older ones will be serving me for the seventh summer and they still look nice.

Vastrm Darren

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It's difficult to generalize all polos in one category. Like everything in a man's closet, the context of wearing a polo depends on one's style and life. It is certain however that polos are no longer t-shirts with a collar. There will always be lower quality brands that target a lower-priced market which will sometimes resemble something along these lines. But companies like Kent Wang and Vastrm are nice reminders that what is available today certainly isn't your grandfather's polo.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, that's very kind.

As for the polos in the post above, sorry to say but they are all horrible.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads