1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Great Navy Blazer Conundrum

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Caustic Man, Feb 8, 2013.

1. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

That I understand.

2. Renault78law

Renault78law Well-Known Member

Well, start with a button that is only appropriate in the warmer months or in the tropics. A button that is really also only appropriate for odd jackets rather than suiting. Combine that with the fact that I want to look "more formal" at night, whether that means sleeker, sexier, cosmopolitan, or what have you. MOP, even smoked MOP, on navy doesn't help that cause because of the contrast, IMO.

3. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

The fabric looks fine in real life, but I do actually think that the fabric is too "suity" and not exactly ideal for a sport coat. I was just replying to unbelragazzo's statement about whether or not it is necessary to try to differentiate a navy sport jacket from a navy suit jacket.

4. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

Thank you for explaining. I lost you after the first two sentences.

5. Victor Elfo

Victor Elfo Well-Known Member

In my opinion, you doesn't understand the purpose of MOP buttons. We want to be seasonal, we want to be casual, that's why we reach for them.
    However, you may have a point on the issue of donning a suit that has them after 6 p.m., but, on the other side, everything is more casual at summer, so, you may also be wrong on this one.

6. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

+1. Especially if you're already wearing a blazer in a summer fabric such as linen, I don't see the harm in MOP buttons. I think this makes for a very elegant jacket; I'm in the process of getting one made now as a summer alternative to my other navy blazer.

7. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Well-Known Member

IMO fellow Aussie member Charlie's Wardrobe is one of the rare WAYWRN posters that dresses well without trying to show off. He regularly wears a navy blazer. Quick search of that thread found these which might inspire some of you.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/234255/hof-what-are-you-wearing-right-now-part-iii/45320_40#post_6132099
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/234255/hof-what-are-you-wearing-right-now-part-iii/43360_40#post_6056683
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/234255/hof-what-are-you-wearing-right-now-part-iii/30760_40#post_5513762

PS hope he doesn't mind me linking to these.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  8. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

I have a navy linen blend blazer with white MoP buttons that I wear in the summer. I think it's fine both during the day

[​IMG]

or during the night

[​IMG]

9. emptym

emptym Well-Known Member

Kilgour used smoked mop on gray and blue suits and I though it looked great. I owned a vintage oxford gray overcoat, very heavy and beautifully made with pretty much all the sewing hand done. It had smoked mop buttons.

Because of those two things, a couple years ago, I switched the buttons of an old navy flannel blazer from brass to smoked mop. And I enjoy it a lot.

I kind of get the casual thing for MOP, but the summer only "rule" is one I've only encountered on SF. Imo, smoked mop looks great w/ some heavy fabrics, particularly velvet and flannel.

In the Philippines, at least, the term "fresco" is used for any open, airy weave that's wrinkle-resistant. The fresco discussed here tends to be wool or wool/mohair, but what makes it fresco is the weave, I believe.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  10. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

Kap,

May I ask who makes that jacket? That is exactly the kind of thing I have been looking for. I passed on the opportunity to get a nice navy linen jacket a while back and have been regretting it ever since.

11. biged781

biged781 Well-Known Member

I was in the process of asking the same... I want that. Like, right now.

12. dunelly

dunelly Well-Known Member

great collar on the shirt also
    link to blazer + shirt please. Nice shoes too

13. Dewi

Dewi Well-Known Member

I asked this over in the Unfunded Liabilities thread as well, but what's the difference in a fresco and a wool crepe cloth? Probably a stupid n00bish question, but my Google fu fails me.

14. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

Thanks. The coat is an unlined flax/wool blend by Corneliani. It's from their CC Collection, which I believe is their cheaper line; came with white plastic buttons that I had swapped for white MoP. It also says 'Reset' on the inside pocket.

While the rest is the same, I think the shirts are different (pics taking at different times and in different countries), but I think they both are Barba. Shoes are the C&J unlined suede 'Chukka'. Pants are Incotex cotton/hemp.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  15. Caustic Man

Awesome! I love corneliani. I have a couple suits from them.

16. Big Texas

Big Texas Well-Known Member

I have a similar Corneliani CC blazer in linen, only mine is a lighter shade of blue. CC is indeed a diffusion line -- but for a casual, unstructured, summer jacket, I'm not overly concerned with holding myself to the same construction standards that I would with a suit. It's one of my favorite jackets, as evidenced by the frequency with which it tends to get chosen over other options on any given week.

Yours looks great, and seeing it has made me very interested in grabbing a navy one.

17. Owen Meany

Owen Meany Well-Known Member

Maybe someone should start a "Show Us How You Wear You Blue Blazer" thread....I suspect it would be interesting to see just how versatile the blue blazer really is...that is, assuming people actually post their pics....

18. Caustic Man

^^^ I think that's a great idea. Everyone is welcome to do that here if they like. Or if a new thread is in order that's fine too.

19. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

Well, I'm not sure this is "how to wear your blazer." More of "am I wearing my blazer correctly." It is hopsack, 3-roll-2, White MOP buttons, flap-patch side pockets, patch breast pocket.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Distance view

[​IMG]

20. Caustic Man

I am unashamedly one of those people who thinks blazers are casual wear, and because of that I would say the tie and PS are too businessy to wear with a blazer, especially with MOP buttons. However that seems to be a personal quirk of mine and there are many here who would probably say that it is perfectly appropriate with that tie/PS combo. [​IMG]