• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Great Navy Blazer Conundrum

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Most non-work related social occasions I go to, I'm one of the few with a jacket, and often the only one with a tie.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see a lot of 20's-30's trying tweed for the first time in the San Francisco area. Much of it is worn with khaki's, bow tie, sweater vest, NATO watch band, pocket square and brown wingtips. Or, with a heavy beard, boots, denim and a chambray work shirt and flat cap.

Ivar

Reaction score

Here, you see a lot of the less explicitly country tweeds: black/white herringbone and the like. However, it also seems that the sports jacket is losing ground among younger generations. If they need to dress up, they wear a suit, and otherwise, streetwear. The middle point, odd jacket, possibly with tie, is being eroded.

I don't know about that. Suits, odd suit-jackets and sport coats are extremely common on young folks over here, especially on weekends. Probably more common than I can ever recall. They're typically not styled by CM standards, however; more like how Miguel looks here:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

(I myself love this look, but I realize it might not be to the typical CMer's taste.)

Last edited:

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This kind of garment just doesn't have a history in Europe outside the navy. Even in Britain it's very specific to sailing or yachting... So I guess it can be considered an Americana.

I don't agree with this at all. In Britain, a navy blazer with brass buttons and grey trousers has always been de rigueur for any daytime occasion that requires a little smartness. It is definitely not Americana; nor does it have any real maritime connotations anymore. In fact my father, a thoroughbred Englishman, uses such blazers as his only odd jackets -- he has several in both DB and SB configurations and in different weights.

Victor Elfo

Reaction score
In my opinion, the initial question is solved: the real blazer (with brass buttons) is too conspicuous for everyday wear. However, exchange the buttons material to horn or mother of pearl and the problem is solved.

Was tempted to get Brushed Gold Buttons on this jacket, but was advised against it. Settled on light horn instead, and I like the way it turned out with the Minnis Fresco 0516.

Good looking jacket! I'm going to commission a similar one next year with a welt breast pocket (I hate breast patch pockets). Right now, waiting the deliver of a summer BlazerSuit
2122.png
(linen and silk, 6x2, hip patches, smoked MOP buttons).

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Good looking jacket! I'm going to commission a similar one next year with a welt breast pocket (I hate breast patch pockets). Right now, waiting the deliver of a summer BlazerSuit
2122.png
(linen and silk, 6x2, hip patches, smoked MOP buttons).

I'd be interested to hear whether you find a linen and silk blend hot in summer.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'd be interested to hear whether you find a linen and silk blend hot in summer.

I had a navy silk, wool and linen blend that was cool in summer. It was light, it breathed well and the wool and silk helped minimize the typical wrinkles you get from linen. My son in law, as a result, purchased a similar blend in a cream suit for his wedding for a beach ceremony in Mexico during June. He managed to stay comfortable despite the hight temps and wicked humidity.

Victor Elfo

Reaction score

Honestly, I don't have any deep info about it. I bought it in a local shop, but it's the best summer cloth that I've ever wore.
It doesn't wrinkle nor rumple, it's really lightweight and breathes as no other cloth that I've ever wore. The down side is, I feel that it will wear quickly.

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently bought online a Polo by Corneliani Navy Blazer (Polo "Soft" cut) thinking to switch to gold buttons.

The fabric seems to be an Hopsack with a moulinè/jaspè effect, actually I am not too convinced that this fabric could work with gold buttons, probably bright plain silver will work better, what do you think?

(I still own blazer with MOP and antiqued silver button, so they aren't an option)

IMG_7072_zps9600171e.jpg

IMG_7075_zps2a8412ad.jpg

IMG_7079_zps8229fcca.jpg

IMG_7080_zps6bec5db2.jpg

IMG_7060_zps6514995f.jpg

Last edited:

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't see a problem with brass buttons for that jacket. Not a fan of silver. The brass reminds me of a traditional military uniform and expresses echoes of that past. Silver doesn't really say anything to me. But that's just my opinion of course. It has no basis in any "rule" or polite requirement that I know of.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about smoked MoP, Alex?

ye9P5yN.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads