• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Great Navy Blazer Conundrum

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have usually worn a wool/silk blend tie or repp stripe. I'm not big on cotton or linen ties but I could see how they might work. I have been experimenting with silk PSs when wearing a wool tie to try and get the whole contrasting textures thing going. Cream silk is a love it or hate it thing around here it seems, but it might be worth a try.
I do agree that the tie might be a bit on the formal side. For now, wool ties are fine, but I'm not sure they are seasonally appropriate in the spring and summer. That is why I mentioned cotton and linen ties.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have just replaced the buttons on my DB blazer with metal ones, which resemble 1/4 florin coins. They're probably not exquisite taste, but I kinda like how they look:

The single breasted blazer I've commissioned will come with horn buttons, but I'm thinking I'll probably have them replaced with MOP.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
More MoP - cotton blazer

rp06zsT.jpg

I've always loved this kind of look. I bought some shoes and a belt in snuff suede specifically so I could put together something like this.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not sure they are seasonally appropriate in the spring and summer. That is why I mentioned cotton and linen ties.

I would tend to agree, although I will sometimes wear some of my brighter wool ties in the spring. What I prefer though is silk knit ties for a lot of circumstances. But yeah, I do think cotton and linen could work. It's just not my personal thing.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have just replaced the buttons on my DB blazer with metal ones, which resemble 1/4 florin coins. They're probably not exquisite taste, but I kinda like how they look:

The single breasted blazer I've commissioned will come with horn buttons, but I'm thinking I'll probably have them replaced with MOP.

MOP would look good, but I think SMOP would look great!

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will do. Should be finished in about 15-20 days, can't wait
smile.gif

emptym

Reaction score
msulinski, I like everything but the tie and the buttons. Horn or brass would bet better imo since the other details of the coat are more formal.

I asked this over in the Unfunded Liabilities thread as well, but what's the difference in a fresco and a wool crepe cloth? Probably a stupid n00bish question, but my Google fu fails me.

Afaik, both are fairly loose categories in that they can be made of different weaves and both have some texture. Crepe tends to be courser and thicker and/or denser, imo. Faille is another fabric that's like and fresco imo. It looks like something in between fresco and crepe imo. Crepe and faille are rarely used for men's clothing but commonly used for women's, and table cloths I think. Armani used them for menswear.

I am unashamedly one of those people who thinks blazers are casual wear, and because of that I would say the tie and PS are too businessy to wear with a blazer, especially with MOP buttons. However that seems to be a personal quirk of mine and there are many here who would probably say that it is perfectly appropriate with that tie/PS combo. :)

I generally keep a white linen ps in my navy blazers. Straight fold.

Dewi

Reaction score
Where do you guys get your buttons? I can't seem to find a brick and mortar store near me that has smoked or horn, just the plastic imitations.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also like MOP in winter. I love them in white on the classic camel coat.

Dewi

Reaction score

Afaik, both are fairly loose categories in that they can be made of different weaves and both have some texture. Crepe tends to be courser and thicker and/or denser, imo. Faille is another fabric that's like and fresco imo. It looks like something in between fresco and crepe imo. Crepe and faille are rarely used for men's clothing but commonly used for women's, and table cloths I think. Armani used them for menswear.

Thanks for the info. I've handled both, but with a fair amount of time between them, so I don't have much of a true comparison. They just struck me as fairly similar, so I was curious.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Short version: navy jackets (and gray slacks to go with them) are amazing.

I was sitting in a cafe today, drinking coffee and occasionally glancing at one of the baristas, and realized that I wear navy jackets (with gray pants no less) more than anything else. I'll occasionally wear navy jackets with brownish pants. I have 3 solid navy jackets (slightly different textures/buttoning stances/pockets) and am looking to pick up a fourth (DB). I have 5 pairs of gray slacks (again variety of fabrics/textures/shades). Most of the pants can go with most of the jackets. This plus brown shoes gives me something that never looks terrible provided the shirt and the tie go well together. The only limiting feature of this is that it restricts what I can do with blue ties (which is my favorite color for ties).

A few people have mentioned "growing beyond" navy jackets and gray slacks...but it is beyond me why they would want to. I think that there is enough which can be done with shirt/tie/ps/shoes as well as subtle features of the jacket and gray pants themselves that the look won't get old.

Again, short version: I love navy jackets.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's an interesting perspective but I will say that one of the reasons navy blazers seem so versatile to me is because they seem easier to pair other things with. Personally I don't find it to be as much of a challenge to try and figure out a navy blazers as opposed to, say, a jacket in glen plaid or whatever. It might seem silly, but putting together clothes is as much of an intellectual thing as it is an aesthetic thing I believe. That having been said, I do think this thread is making me appreciate navy blazers a bit more and I am already contemplating a navy blazer centered summer.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It is definitely less challenging, but it also allows for more room to experiment with other elements. I'm a big fan of the "time test"...if I look back at a picture of myself in 20 years, what will I think of what I am wearing? I think I went into that in the Style vs Fashion mistress thread.

Ultimately, I love ties and the way they combine with shirts...thus I find more satisfaction playing it safe with the jacket so that I can have a bit more fun with the shirt and tie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics