1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Great Everyday Objects Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Artisan Fan, Jun 29, 2010.

1. otc

otc Senior member

[​IMG]

For pens, I usually rock whatever is my current favorite from the supply closet.
    We have (or had) those onyx pens but they aren't my favorite. Right now I am using
    [​IMG]
    in blue
    and
    [​IMG]
    in green (I like this one better, but we only have them in green right now)

2. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

AF, this is a really great thread. I don't have anything to contribute at the moment but wanted to endorse this thread.

Thank you. You don't have a favorite wine bottle opener to contribute?

[​IMG]

I have one just like that. Very handy.

3. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

ikea apple slicer
    [​IMG]

These have been around for a long, long time. Way before Ikea started making their own version.

I prefer peeling and slices the apples myself. Mandolins on the other hand are VERY handy.

A proper IPS panel LCD Monitor is essential. I find myself hating the monitors at work more and more....

+1 to the Pulltex corkscrew.

A quality cordless drill; I use Dewalt but Ryobi is decent for the much lower price. Comes in handy a lot around the house/apartment.

4. otc

otc Senior member

A proper IPS panel LCD Monitor is essential. I find myself hating the monitors at work more and more....

+1

Screw nasty 6-bit TN panels....how can people not see it?

5. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Many years ago the NYTimes interviewed a wide range of designers. They asked all of them, "What do you wish you had designed", I recall the paper clip and Levis as my two favorite answers.

6. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Waiter-style bottle opener.

Great, if you could find one properly engineered and crafted.

[​IMG] Our cherrywood Laguiole.

7. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Yes this is an everyday object, thanks for this addition.

I use it every day.

8. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

[​IMG] i bought one of these for my little nephew... and remembered how awesome they are. ended up buying a set for my freezer... perfect for summer. the only downside is it only slushes with sugar-based drinks and doesn't slush with diet drinks (it does get them iced cold in 2min though).

9. javyn

javyn Senior member

[​IMG] + [​IMG] FTW! edit: Speaking of USB drives, if you have one of those SanDisks with the terrible U3 Desktop Software installed, here is an app that will remove that completely. Be sure to make a backup of your data because it WILL destroy everything on the drive and re-format. http://u3.sandisk.com/launchpadremoval.htm

10. kakemono

kakemono Senior member

I just wish I could find a quality can opener. My mother had one of the old crude style ones and she still has it - been strong for 20 years. All I can find in store now is the shitty ergonomic ones with monkey metal, plastic, and cushions that make me want to wipe my ass with it - not cut metal.

Seriously...

11. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

[​IMG]
    I bought a bunch of speed pourers like this (mine are all plastic with caps) for $1/each at the Container Store and replaced the tops of my liquor bottles. Produces a precise, controlled pour. No need to reattach the original caps after using because the pourers are capped.

12. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

I got some cd sleeves at Muji a couple years back that are made from recycled paper. They're great: sturdy, dirt resistant, and and minimalist.

[​IMG]

I can't believe somebody hasn't come along with a more appealing version of these cd wallet things. They nearly all have a stupid rubber logo, fake leather, and plastic trimming. That's if you're lucky enough to find some without tribal graphics or "Life is Good" decals on them.

[​IMG]

13. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

I'm pretty sure 50% of my "great everyday objects" are from Muji. Everything from my home desk to an eraser has been great from them.

14. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

I can't believe somebody hasn't come along with a more appealing version of these cd wallet things. They nearly all have a stupid rubber logo, fake leather, and plastic trimming. That's if you're lucky enough to find some without tribal graphics or "Life is Good" decals on them.

have you looked at anything from Muji? They have a nice CD wallet

15. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Launer card case. No explanation needed.
    [​IMG]

Cheap, comfortable, and writes good.
    [​IMG]

Holds water. Good form factor and one-handed operation.
    [​IMG]

Etymotic ER-4P. Great sound quality and noise isolation. Perfect for long flights and noisy work environments.
    [​IMG]

Bolle or other polarized sunglasses of your choice. Why even bother with sunglasses that aren't polarized?
    [​IMG]

Makita 18v cordless drill. Puts many corded drills to shame.
    [​IMG]

Perhaps the single most useful hand tool ever.
    [​IMG]

16. Salad

Salad Senior member

Qtips. I ran out today and they were sorely missed. Got a big 'ol box now.

17. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

Qtips. I ran out today and they were sorely missed. Got a big 'ol box now.

Is this even possible? I've never found a package with less than 10,000.

18. bbaquiran

bbaquiran Senior member

Holds water. Good form factor and one-handed operation.
    [​IMG]

Do you own one? How well does it work?
    I was checking one of these out in the store and I didn't see any airhole that would let you drink directly from the spout.

19. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Do you own one? How well does it work?
    I was checking one of these out in the store and I didn't see any airhole that would let you drink directly from the spout.

Yes. I think it works well. It has no air hole, but I don't cover the entire spout when drinking, so it works fine for me.

20. Brian1976

Brian1976 Well-Known Member

You list some really nice stuff there...top of the line, or at least clearly better than average in their product class...and then you go and do this:
    Cheap, comfortable, and writes good.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]