1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

The Great Cascadia Boot Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by b-ewing, Jul 19, 2014.

1. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

2. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Can't believe Louie came over to this thread...that is most unfortunate

3. westie187

westie187 Senior member

+1. To ANY thread.

4. LouieBailie

LouieBailie Senior member

Of course, unless you are trying to sheath a 12 inch blade.

Good to see the boys westie and rydie here too. Don't you get the love you need in the VB thread?

Don't worry, I'll give it to youse here too.

So please post those pics of your shoes and boots. when new. also...... I never knew anyone who took them....

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  5. westie187

westie187 Senior member

6. LouieBailie

I don't do it that way, I will leave that to you guys.[​IMG]
    Drews/Bakers make very good work boots for firemen/laborers/farmers/ranchers etc, the leather they use on most boots is real tough, thick, and difficult to break in. Until they added the alternate leathers for their new lifestyle boots they were 2nd or 3rd choices behind Wesco and Whites. 4-5.5 range

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  7. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Lol. Sad, but true...

8. Neognosis

Neognosis Senior member

that's seven posts, eight including this one, that are NOT in any way about boots.

I suggest we cap it off there and at least TRY to keep this thread on topic. If not about the boots themselves, maybe about the leathers or something?

Please?

9. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

I think these were the first pair of Vibergs that I saw a picture of, and they stopped me in my tracks.

[​IMG]

I grew up in Western Pennsylvania in a steel town in the late 60s and 70s, and every adult man I knew either worked in the steel mills or at the Valvoline plant or maybe the Westinghouse plant, and these boots immediately reminded me of what all the men wore to work everyday. This was a couple of years ago, just before Viberg really started getting big in the fashion world, and when I sent a cold email to the company to inquire about the boots I heard back directly from Jason Viberg. Prices at the time for the custom boots were in the low 500s, and I had been wearing off the shelf work boots for 25 years but I had never paid more than about $100 for a pair, so I balked. He said, 'let me see what we have in the back' and sent me two horsehide sample boots, one brown and one black, which he said I could have for $300. When I opened the box they came in, I literally started laughing at the quality of construction. As it turned out, neither of those fit quite right-- they were size 9 and 10 respectively on the 310 last, and I realized I needed a 9.5E. But having them for a while gave me the Viberg bug. I've tried two other pairs since, but find myself waiting still for my ideal build and size...

10. LouieBailie

stretching boot tongues: one does this instead of cutting the tongue down the side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

positioning the tongues to fold equally on both sides when laced up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

yes butter soft leather inside and out after 5 Huberds treatments:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not too bad, 8" full bison hide with calf leather lining on Vibram soles on (about to be dyed brown) leather midsoles from current neutral, all for $125.00 plus shipping.

11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Sigh, @LouieBailie is sitting out the next week and a half, until August 3, when I am coming back from vacation. I think that he has a lot to contribute, and he is a guy who seems to have decent experience in reburbishing boots (everyone gets their boots done at the end of the season,) but there is really no reason to call other guys out and make completely unnecessary and deliberately provocative posts about "alternate lifestyles" or whatever. Not to mention that it's pretty offensive to some people.

fwiw, the fire season is not over. The actual season varies between regions, but August is the big month, overall, with the fire season in, say Florida, being considerably earlier, and extending deep into fall in California. We've already seen many times a "normal" fire year already, and these abnormal fire years are becoming more and more the norm, very possibly because of climate change. The ones we've had around here are mostly from lightning strikes, but I'm sure some idiot will decide that it's a great idea to smoke a pack of cigarettes in some national forest this season. Or build a campfire when all the brush is tinder dry.

12. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

THANK YOU!!!! Not as convinced he has anything positive to add but I know quite a few members will be thrilled for a break from him

13. westie187

westie187 Senior member

14. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

I know I posted this in the White's thread (which I'm sure most of you already read), but I figured I'd also post this album here, as there are some comparison photos at the end that show a new pair of White's BHs, an older pair with a good deal of wear, and a pair of Nick's.

9" White's Bounty Hunters in #8 CXL

My Dayton's should be here in the next couple weeks, so we'll start to round out the PacNW collection. Thinking of pulling the trigger on another pair of Nick's through Vermilyea Pelle again (this time in waxed flesh at 8 or 9 inches), but we shall see. I don't want to own too many boots to actually be able to wear them and give them the beating that they deserve.

15. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Lol! Time to leave Style Forum immediately! There are a lot of enablers around here