• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The good-- bad- and customer service at BB

Roger Everett

Reaction score
Went shopping for a SC with fiancee, 3 weeks ago. Ended up at a BB store. I've never bought at BB before, since I thought they were a pinch high for what you get. Couldn't find anything in a blue, I was looking for, but did see a tweed I liked and tried it on. It was in their Saxxon Wool and felt like cashmere. OK, works goood for me and 40% off, then 2 pair slacks. Then they say, extra 15 %, if sign up for cc, ok, but need that like a hole in head.

One pair slacks needed let out a pinch and both hemmed ( FF w/ no cuff ), jacket needed sleeves let up and collar roll fixed ( which was not included --$15 ). Picked up the following week. That Sunday morning I tried them all on in my lesiure, jacket had puffing over both shoulders, pants looked like ****. They had used a serging machine and pressed the dog F out of the hem. Looked like they both had cords in them, you could see the lines of the serging. So, Monday morning I went to the tailor I use in Jacksonville, and asked if he would critique everything and give me his recommendations. He very much didn't think someone knew what they were doing. Thought it over for a couple minutes about taking it all back for repair. Came to conclusion that, one problem ,ok, fix it, but, everything F'ed up -- I don't trust them to fix ****. So, how much to fix everythig, Daniel. He added it all up -$95 plus tax -- do it.

Left there and called the salesman at BB, Dave. Explained the situation and that, I couldn't trust their alteration person to fix all the problems. Dave is one of those old line professional salesman, that in BS'ing with, when I bought the clothing, knew the tailor I use and his reputation and understood my side. I told him, I knew that their cost, in-house, was not as much as an outside tailor, and didn't expect them to cover all my cost for redo, but I felt they should at least split it with me to the degree of what they paid their tailor to do the original work. He informed me that his manager wasn't there and he would be off for two days, and would go over this with manager and call me Friday.

He called on Friday, when he said he would. Had talked to the manager about problem and that I would like them to cover part of my cost. And she said " no" -- we will cover the whole thing, give him a refund for the whole $101.65. Well, I bussed right over there, Got a full $101.65 refund with many apologies.
I'M ONE HAPPY CUSTOMER -- This is customer satisfaction the old fashioned way. And I told them I would put them on my list and will be back.

Roger

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
use ur own tailor do do alterations!
teacha.gif

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wow, it looks like everybody ended up ok. I would like to hear where the tailor stands right now...

Jim Barns

Reaction score
Well that sound like one happy ending story. Good for you. I hope I can be that lucky too in future.

david3558

Reaction score
I must say, BB's product quality isn't always 110% but their customer service has always been great!

Kiwi Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by david3558
I must say, BB's product quality isn't always 110% but their customer service has always been great!

Even though I cannot comment on the quality of Brooks Brothers products, but their service are extraordinary great.

I shop there because of this reason!

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't seem to understand what exactly went wrong with your alterations. Do you have pics?
what did your tailor do different to repair the alterations?

Hems are pretty hard to mess up, I mean perhaps hemming to wrong length on accident, but to not know how to hem a pair of pants, how would they have been hired and kept their job?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Glad BB responded to the OP's satisfaction. I've found BB's alterations to be hit or miss, and most recently miss. Overall, though, their customer service has been great, and that hasn't always been the case in my experience with them over the years.

celeste_pista

Reaction score
my local store sent me a handwritten thank you card around xmas time saying thanks for shopping in our store. and it was personalized enough that I know they weren't just writing the same thing to everyone (referenced a pair of santoni FAM monkstrap boots that teh SAs marvelled at). I thought that was a nice touch.

david3558

Reaction score
Originally Posted by celeste_pista
my local store sent me a handwritten thank you card around xmas time saying thanks for shopping in our store. and it was personalized enough that I know they weren't just writing the same thing to everyone (referenced a pair of santoni FAM monkstrap boots that teh SAs marvelled at). I thought that was a nice touch.

Yeah, when I call my SA who I met recently, he remembers everything I wore and what sizes, collars, colors work for me. Simply incredible service IMO.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My local Brooks wisely has hired some guys who are into clothes. They always comment on what I'm wearing, and they make pairing suggestions that are actually helpful. That they know basics like what a monkstrap is, and don't try to sell me on the line about the Peal factory, makes the experience much nicer than dealing with your typical clothing store associate.

Roger Everett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CYstyle
I don't seem to understand what exactly went wrong with your alterations. Do you have pics?
what did your tailor do different to repair the alterations?

Hems are pretty hard to mess up, I mean perhaps hemming to wrong length on accident, but to not know how to hem a pair of pants, how would they have been hired and kept their job?

Little late for pics.-- went straight to tailor
Well: first on the pants -- one leg longer -- they were machine sewn, and too heaviely, so that it looked lumy all around -- could see the stiching on ouside half way around on all legs -- just plain sloppy
Jacket -- one sleeve longer than other -- To take out the collar roll, you undo at collar and part of the way down shoulders to tuck extra back fabric in and resew. They didn't do it proberly down shoulders and it left loose fabric at shoulders that created bumps on both shoulders.
Collar roll do to build, it is when you have more squared shoulders and neck set back than the average bear. Mainly do to upper body build and many years of working out and lifting those heavy objects while doing so. Many guys could use having this fixed for a neat smoth jacket appearence from rear, but don't know to have it done.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads