• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Godfather: Coppola Restoration Owns

allcapitan

Reaction score
For years, I've only owned The Godfather on VHS. I've watched it so many times I've lost count. When the film was first transferred to dvd, I was thrilled with anticipation. Until I saw the actual print. Horrible.

Finally, with the Coppola Restoration, The Godfather returns to it's original glory. Whatever that looked like, as the original print was so badly destroyed, the restoration team had to scour the globe for prints in private libraries as well as studio archives in order to create the best possible digital version.

What it is not: The Godfather DOES NOT look like a blu ray or DVD of a film released in 2008. There is plenty of grain, and the fine detail you are accustomed to seeing in people's faces from a distance are not quite present.

What it is: the colors are lush, vibrant, use whatever term you want. The contrast between dark and light is just astonishing. There is a warm amber tone throughout that is slightly overdone but which with continued viewing, gives the film an antiqued, heirloom-ish look which is astonishingly attractive. Yes, the characters, especially in dark lighting, all wind up looking a bit too much like George Hamil, but overall, the look, the acting, the story, the vintage tone, make this a first rate viewing experience.

You might as well buy now, as it won't look better for quite a while. I understand that the original digital master has 4X the resolution of blu ray, but the technology to allow for this level of resolution to be realized on a consumer television is years away. Enjoy the Godfather again.

Post your own reviews here.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's an article out there detailing the painstaking restoration process of the film. I guess you gotta hand it to them for not applying noise reduction on it. The grain adds to the overall feel of the flick.

Ajaxv2

Reaction score
Restorations, especially top-notch ones like Star Wars in the 90s are amazing!! Enjoy
biggrin.gif

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, grain is an inherent part of celluloid and I think this was one of the most respectful restoration jobs of an American film in recent memory (especially considering that, with the move to Blu-ray, many important films have just been ruined: The Searchers, Do the Right Thing, etc). Picked this up last year around Christmas for a cool $50 on sale at Amazon.

allcapitan

Reaction score
Disc 4 has a mini-doc on the restoration process. The original print was in bad shape. Even some of the frames from the better quality prints were partially destroyed. As in, half or two thirds of the actual frame is simply absent. Individual frames from different masters are spliced together with tape. A bunch of different prints are used. They were even afraid to play back the the final restored master since it was so old and thin they thought the process of simply playing the tape back would destroy it.

The final, digital restoration looks very good. It looks so good at times, the effect is breathtaking and I've actually had to take breaks as watching the film again in this manner is indeed a revelation.

But I'll be honest. I wish it looked as good and flawless as The Star Wars Trilogy. Actually Star Wars is only a few years younger, yet the restored versions look absolutely flawless. But still, the Coppola Restoration looks fantastic. I'd give it an '8' overall simply considering it's age. Add half a point when you factor in how badly the print has deteriorated over time.

By that standard, Star Wars gets a '10.'

allcapitan

Reaction score
+1. I could not believe how good the restored Star Wars looked. It literally looks as good, if not better, than a film produced in the 21st century. I'm mclovin' the Coppola Restoration, but the Star Wars restoration is just freaky.

Originally Posted by Ajaxv2
Restorations, especially top-notch ones like Star Wars in the 90s are amazing!! Enjoy
biggrin.gif

allcapitan

Reaction score
Man, even the opening Paramount logo is pimped out. It's gold, and grainy. Waves of amber grain...

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't say I was particularly blown away by image quality.
Have watched it on a Pio Elite plasma hooked to a player with Silicon Optix Reon Chip.
Just my .02c

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
THX 1138 was also restored to flawless visual quality. Same goes for the earlier Bond films. All (including Star Wars) were done by an LA company named Lowrey Digital Media.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Wizard of Oz resto is supposed to look spectacular. Recent Raging Bull release looks great, too.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
THX 1138 was also restored to flawless visual quality. Same goes for the earlier Bond films. All (including Star Wars) were done by an LA company named Lowrey Digital Media.

Lowry does great work. The Home Theater Forum and AVS Forum are excellent resources if you want a list of the best transfers.

allcapitan

Reaction score
There is some high praise for the coppola restoration over on the avs forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1067894

"The movie looked better than I remember it being in the theater when it first came out and definitely sounded better."

This restoration does not look pristine in the way that Star Wars does. My understanding is that with Star Wars, the print was not only physically cleaned but subject to a noise reduction algorithm (whatever that is) on top of that.

I have to believe that something like this would be possible with The Godfather in a future re-release. Perhaps the grain is part of the original film experience. You could also argue that if a film made just a few years later (Star Wars) could be restored with zero noise and grain, the same could also be done with the godfather. I consider "grain" to be distortion: it's the inclusion of off color elements in an image, which detracts from the accuracy of the image.

Overall, the coppola restoration looks more like "Gimme Shelter" than Star Wars: the image is relatively soft, grainy, dark and lacks the sharp lines and detail that I'd like. Nonetheless, it's the best looking version of the godfather available today.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Film is not supposed to look pristine. I completely disagree with the notion that grain and 'noise' detracts from a film, especially in line with the director/cinematographers intentions. This is a huge point of contention between cinephiles and technophiles, and one of the more obvious 'problem cases' is last year's Blu-ray release of one of my favorites in THE THIRD MAN, which is pitch-perfect in its transfer yet A/V friends were complaining as soon as it came out that it looked as if they were viewing it through a 'snowstorm'. This is film, this is celluloid.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sweet! just got this set + goodfellas for 66 bucks. looking forward to seeing this version.

allcapitan

Reaction score
I hear ya. The restoration team is quite adamant that they recovered ALL the information available from the original negative/s. This includes the grain from the original film, the original black levels, and perhaps a tinge of gold or amber along with it.

Having said that, watching restored films just a few years younger (Star Wars) or even films a few years older (Nutty Professor) with very little grain and ridiculous levels of detail, you just wonder "what if," even though Coppola and others closely involved say that the extremely dark scenes and grain are completely intentional.

Like I said, I'm really ambivalent. I think that in a few years time, The Godfather will be re-released, with greater detail and less grain, to satisfy the techheads. I'll be buying. Again.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by jonglover
Film is not supposed to look pristine. I completely disagree with the notion that grain and 'noise' detracts from a film, especially in line with the director/cinematographers intentions. This is a huge point of contention between cinephiles and technophiles, and one of the more obvious 'problem cases' is last year's Blu-ray release of one of my favorites in THE THIRD MAN, which is pitch-perfect in its transfer yet A/V friends were complaining as soon as it came out that it looked as if they were viewing it through a 'snowstorm'. This is film, this is celluloid.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads