• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Genesis of These Forums...

Martinis at 8

Reaction score
Can someone give me the history here? It seems like several forums have spun off of on another. StyleForum, AskAndy, and ModernMan. Any other spin-offs, active or dead.

Thanks,

M8

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The London Lounge somewhat spun off Ask Andy and is meant to have a greater focus on bespoke and having a gentlemanly air. Film Noir Buff forum also spun off Ask Andy a couple months ago. Many of the more prolific members were banned from AA (and other fora). Really long stories behind these.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
People around here can better tell this than me, but SF spun off of the GQ forum when J and a group of likemindeds got sick of all the flaming and crap that went on there.

Martinis at 8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
People around here can better tell this than me, but SF spun off of the GQ forum when J and a group of likemindeds got sick of all the flaming and crap that went on there.

You know I looked at that GQ forum once [when I was getting the mag].

That place was a friggin' zoo! I seem to recall some woman over there who liked to cause a lot of trouble. And the political discussions were unreal.

Thanks.

M8

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Actually the Japanese invented the Styleforum in the early Nara period. Right after they invented the internet in A.D. 712.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Actually the Japanese invented the Styleforum in the early Nara period. Right after they invented the internet in A.D. 712.
and on the third day they invented the Mac Mini

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
and on the third day they invented the Mac Mini

No Mat, I blame that one on the Nazi's.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Japanese invented StyleForum before they invented denim?

I can't deal with this.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Everyone knows that "streetwear" as we know it today was not around until at least the early 1300's... sheesh.

Martinis at 8

Reaction score
The Japanese did not invent the Eiffel tower, but they sure perfected it!
smile.gif

M8

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Al Gore is Japanese? How could he run for President? I thought one had to be U.S. born.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Japan invented the United States. Grandfather clause.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the beginning, there was the GQ Forum. It was an informative place, albeit on a very simplistic level compared to today's clothing forums. GQ Lawyer and European Interloper posted there frequently. One day, in February 2002, an individual with the username "GQ Airline Pilot" attempted to pick up GQ Lawyer, inviting him to join the "mile-high club." GQ Lawyer declined and told GQ Airline Pilot that he had a fiancee. GQ Airline Pilot refused to take no for an answer, insisting that no man who knew that much about moisturizer could possibly be straight. GQ Lawyer rebuffed GQ Airline Pilot again. This back-and-forth went on for awhile, until one day GQ Airline Pilot made a post posing as GQ Lawyer (there being no log-in system on the GQ Forum) "admitting" that he was bisexual and asking the other members of the GQ Forum how he should tell his fiancee.

At this point, most people realized there had to be a better way. The first attempt to replace the GQ Forum failed, for reasons I do not recall. The second attempt was the StyleForum. A few hardy souls, including yours truly, left the GQ Forum for the StyleForum and never looked back. And the rest, as they say, is history.

Over the past four years, individuals have come and gone from the StyleForum, but the general tenor has remained the same: a welcoming place, much like the neighborhood bar, where everyone knows your name and one can discuss men's style in an atmosphere free of pretense and rancor.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
The first attempt to replace the GQ Forum failed, for reasons I do not recall. The second attempt was the StyleForum. A few hardy souls, including yours truly, left the GQ Forum for the StyleForum and never looked back. And the rest, as they say, is history.

The inevitability of its doom is apparent to me now as a consequence of the imperfection inherent in every human being, thus I redesigned it based on your history to more accurately reflect the varying grotesqueries of your nature.

Matrix_architectsittingandchatting.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics