Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The gays on Modern Family never have sex

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by SField, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Don Carlos

Don Carlos In Time Out

Also, agree with SField on the puritanism in general. American cultural attitudes toward sex, swearing, drinking, etc., are annoyingly backward.

2. Hannerhan

Hannerhan Senior member

O please are you fucking kidding? ABC would not have the balls to show gay men being intimate on a family show. A significant portion of this country takes issue with homosexuals, so much so that they believe law makers should be able to continue to grant them less rights than straight people.

And I think network television offerings are a FANTASTIC representation of a country's attitudes and social prejudices. You don't see the same puritanism in the UK or even Canada. It's just a fact.

I don't see how my response disagreed with anything you're saying here.

3. sunror

sunror Senior member

no need to gross out your audience plus how much making out and what have you is on sitcoms anyway? i guess i don't watch any but curb your enthusiasm, i cant even think of a hetero scene, maybe seinfeld ep where elaine is drugged

4. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

I love America but I will not deny that in social issues, I believe it's one of the most repressed, backwards countries in the G-20. I think it's one of the only developed countries where you can't swear on network tv. I mean come on, get the fuck over it.

Just remember that these decisions are the network's, not the government's. For all the posturing the FCC does regarding this issue, they've been very inactive. There is swearing on network TV and has been for twenty years. There's also been nudity. It's not glaring, in-your-face nudity, but it's been there. Rarely has the FCC actually done anything about it. The networks are making business decisions.

5. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

Gays having sex doesn't make for good ratings in any country, I would imagine. Unless they are attractive females, anyway.

6. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

count your lucky stars OP.

7. Makeshift_Robot

Makeshift_Robot Senior member

It has nothing to do with being behind. I'm as pro gay rights as one can get and seeing two guys kiss just evokes an "Ewww" reaction from me. It's like seeing fat (hetero)people kiss.

Dogg did you see Milk? It made gay makeouts look like a fun way to spend an evening if you're so inclined.

8. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I love America but I will not deny that in social issues, I believe it's one of the most repressed, backwards countries in the G-20. I think it's one of the only developed countries where you can't swear on network tv. I mean come on, get the fuck over it.
    I think you are wrong here. Unless you are going to equate the UK with London, France with Paris etc, you will find that the backwardness of most of these countries is staggering. It just so happens that our population distributions are different, and fewer people in the US live in the more "advanced" urban areas.

9. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

is everyone disappointed that they don't show that fatso getting pegged?

10. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I wonder how much of the lack of man kissing is due to that "eww" factor as perceived by the network for a family show.

after all, it does show two gay men raising an adopted child. This alone gets people all bothered and hot.

11. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

I think you are wrong here. Unless you are going to equate the UK with London, France with Paris etc, you will find that the backwardness of most of these countries is staggering. It just so happens that our population distributions are different, and fewer people in the US live in the more "advanced" urban areas.

Yeah but faggots kissing on tv wouldn't be a big deal compared to the US. I happen to think people from the UK are all inbred barbarians but still...

12. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

no need to gross out your audience plus how much making out and what have you is on sitcoms anyway? i guess i don't watch any but curb your enthusiasm, i cant even think of a hetero scene, maybe seinfeld ep where elaine is drugged

IIRC, there are scenes in which people are lying in bed, going to bed or talking about bed (moves) in Seinfeld.

13. intent

intent Senior member

Maybe they're waiting 'till marriage.

(zing)

14. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

Why does it bother you so much, or at least make you so uncomfortable? Gay people manage to watch plenty of strait people's kissing on TV, and doing a whole lot more in movies. They don't seem to be too bothered by it.

So I have to feel comfortable watching gay people kiss because they see a lot of hetero's kiss? That's an odd sense of fairness.

If a gay man ever told me that hetero kissing and sex grossed him out I wouldn't manufacture offence over it. I'd bet that a majority of guys who are not biggoted, and are not against gay rights have the same eww reaction that I have. I voted no on Prop 8 and I had to look away at some scenes in Brokeback Mountain, so sue me.

15. Don Carlos

Don Carlos In Time Out

So I have to feel comfortable watching gay people kiss because they see a lot of hetero's kiss? That's an odd sense of fairness.

No, that's not what I said. You missed the point by a mile.