• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Future of Tailored Clothing

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Most politicians have bad taste. They are career-obsessed and have very little personality beyond that. Like, it's not just clothes that they don't have good taste in. How many congressmen would you trust to recommend you a book?

I also just don't think it helps that much to be well-dressed in elected office, especially Congress. If you are in Congress, you are trying to impress voters, not your colleagues (other congressmen). There isn't some boss you are trying to show off to or some coworker you are trying to outclass. You spend most of your time surrounded by your staff and they are mostly young people who also don't have a ton of personality, and have even less money.

There are exceptions, but you probably haven't heard of most of them. A few are both famous and well-dressed. Joe Biden of course. Sheldon Whitehouse. Josh Hawley, though he could tone things down. Mitt Romney. Chuck Schumer. I could go on. None of these men are outstanding dressers, but I also don't think they want to be.

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
Just be glad you 'mericans don't have to deal with the likes of Jacob Rees-Mogg, a repellent born to rule praying mantis who cosplays daily as a funeral director in a DB suit sized like a rain coat. He often pairs this with an outlandishly tall top hat, because with a personal fortune of around $200m there's nobody in his life to tell him this isn't a good look while voting to make the poor ever poorer.

rees mogg.jpg

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
Robert Mueller is reputed to own only two ties, one red and one blue. It's not actually true, as a quick image search reveals at least a third, but it's probably safe to say he doesn't have an extensive wardrobe. As far as I can tell he wears two suits in navy and black, both with a subtle pinstripe. I'd imagine he thinks a pocket square is an unnecessary frippery.

Point of order: He also has this particular olive suit, coordinated with a khaki tie and, perhaps most importantly, those two lapel accessories. No buy-one-get-two deal but it did come with an all inclusive tropical vacation in Southeast Asia, I hear. All the other goobers in the past two pages have instead the other trendy option of the era, that is, a series of student deferrals while attending second rate law schools, followed by five decades of parasitic mediocrity. Somehow the latter look just didn't age as well.

26.06-DH_Winters_Wired_Mueller_Photo_04.jpg

Okay I'm done. I think you guys are tired of the dead horse I'm flogging.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sometimes I'm amazed at how much effort, money, time, and other resources are put into a wardrobe, just to look like Sheldon Whitehouse. I mean, I like how Whitehouse dresses -- don't get me wrong. But for we CM guys, sometimes it seems like so much digging and inspecting and finding the perfect collar roll, the right shoulder line, the boutique O'Connell's trad shop ... just to look like Sheldon Whitehouse.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love this collection of photos of Black Ivy (and related) style, and will probably buy the book:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always assumed they are afraid of actually looking good in a suit.

Can you imagine if congressmen started showing up in Saville Row tailoring with John Lobb shoes? They would be pilloried.
I think that has a lot to do with it. “Man of the People” silliness.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't mind people not wearing a pocket square. I don't think Mueller ever wears one, and I think he's really well dressed. The other guy in Washington who's well dressed is the dude that trails him in photos.

View attachment 1712831 View attachment 1712832
The guys in front and behind are likely his personal security detail. Jackets always open and hands always free.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I'm amazed at how much effort, money, time, and other resources are put into a wardrobe, just to look like Sheldon Whitehouse. I mean, I like how Whitehouse dresses -- don't get me wrong. But for we CM guys, sometimes it seems like so much digging and inspecting and finding the perfect collar roll, the right shoulder line, the boutique O'Connell's trad shop ... just to look like Sheldon Whitehouse.

It could be that Senator Whitehouse's apparent insouciance regarding dress
is almost a matter of inheritance. Your own avatar Elliot Richardson came from
the same WASP ascendency and both show an understated elegance reputedly
characteristic of that class.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a long commute? I'd imagine that those with hellish commutes find WFH a godsend.

My office is about 25 mins, but my warehouse is 55 miles east (1 hour each way since I go against traffic). I also often go downtown (1 hr each way).

I dont mind the driving. I listen to books, take calls, center my mind.

otterhound

Reaction score
In person appearances require traditional CM or tie/SC/trousers (private practice has more leeway - they show up sans tie sometimes, though I've seen them show up ready to go hiking on occasion.)
Lawyers are appearing for hearings tieless or worse ?? Wow, how long has that been going on?

VegasRebel

Reaction score
Lawyers are appearing for hearings tieless or worse ?? Wow, how long has that been going on?

At least five years, though it's been more pronounced since COVID, especially with video appearances. It used to be fairly unusual, but now it's quite common.

otterhound

Reaction score
At least five years, though it's been more pronounced since COVID, especially with video appearances. It used to be fairly unusual, but now it's quite common.
Huh. Anyone have the over under for how many years before the Solicitor General argues before the Supremes in board shorts and a wifebeater?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads