• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Future of Tailored Clothing

VegasRebel

Reaction score
My tailor says he's been swamped with wedding season, never had this many requests for suits before in his life he claims.
Makes sense. As someone booking a delayed wedding, venues, photographers, bakers, officiants, and everything else seems to be swamped too. There's about 18 months of backlogged fiancées.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is no indication of the future of tailored clothing. No one was buying inventory during the lock downs. All the mens shows like Piti were cancelled. Offices closed and social events cancelled. Suits are higher priced or maybe the highest cost product to stock for a retailer and were not a priority for the last 18 months.
Every economical downturn has been a boost for my business. 2008 was the most dramatic upturn in demand for suits in all the years I've been a tailor. The few tailors I talk with say they are busy as ever. Personally I've had more requests for suits this year than all of last year or even the prior year before the pandemic.
Any idea why this is so? Personally, I dropped $13k on a watch for the first time during the pandemic, so there is probably something to this.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any idea why this is so? Personally, I dropped $13k on a watch for the first time during the pandemic, so there is probably something to this.
For a lot of people it’s because they didn’t spend any money going out to eat and drink or travel.

rob

Reaction score
Sorry if I'm being obtuse but why would an economic downturn boost business for a tailor?

That seems counter-intuitive to me.
this Is the idiocy which keeps me reading Styleforum. Thank you.

rob

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I also don't understand why an economic downturn would result in a boom for a tailoring business, setting aside this last year's very unique circumstances. Would be curious to hear any theories or explanations.

Reactions: RSS

Crispyj

Reaction score
Economics downturn ==> harder to find jobs ==> more compeititon ==> gotta look better than the next guy applying for the same job ==> buy new suit for a chance of being hired or alter old suits to fit ==> get hired, placebo effect good suit = success ==> buy more suits and end up on Styleforum

dench127

Reaction score
I also don't understand why an economic downturn would result in a boom for a tailoring business, setting aside this last year's very unique circumstances. Would be curious to hear any theories or explanations.
I subscribe to the Economist so I feel like I'm qualified to answer...I don't think that recessions are necessarily good for tailoring, we've discussed a sample size of two right now (the Great Financial Crisis and this COVID related recession) I just think the unique circumstances of these two recessions *may have helped tailors.

For example, this COVID related recession has had differential impacts on people and those who were already into tailoring were more likely to be unaffected or in some cases helped by the unique circumstances of this pandemic. Not to mention that this recession was really a steep two-month cliff followed by steady rebound due to never-seen-before economic stimulus in western economies (specifically the US's). The rate of savings as as share of disposable income by US families has also tripled over this time period. A lot of pent-up demand.

* I also wonder if tailoring was actually hurt by these two recessions, we may just be hearing anecdotes from large and visible firms that were positioned to stay afloat and have taken business from smaller or nascent businesses that went under during these recessions.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Economics downturn ==> harder to find jobs ==> more compeititon ==> gotta look better than the next guy applying for the same job ==> buy new suit for a chance of being hired or alter old suits to fit ==> get hired, placebo effect good suit = success ==> buy more suits and end up on Styleforum
This makes zero sense

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most economic downturns also have a direct correlation between new businesses started. Laid off people have fewer excuses to not start the businesses they've always dreamed of, hence rate of entrepreneurship skyrockets.

I could see a correlation to people investing in themselves via appearance, but that's just a reasonable assumption.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This makes zero sense
" gotta look better than the next guy applying for the same job"

Yes, possibly. However most men in this situation are not bespoke clients.
Nor are they in a position for three fittings over nine months.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
" gotta look better than the next guy applying for the same job"

Yes, possibly. However most men in this situation are not bespoke clients.
Nor are they in a position for three fittings over nine months.
This make even less sense - if that’s possible

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Sneakers with tailoring: yes, no, maybe?

• No, never.

• Yes, it can be done tastefully.

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.