• We would like to welcome Arterton as an official Affiliate Vendor. Arterton, based in the UK, specializes in fine accessories such as garment bags, umbrellas, and shoe care, as well as fine shoes and boots from Yearn Footwear Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Future of Tailored Clothing

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is usually used ironically, as in a term of greeting to a friend or acquaintance who is clearly not part of the landed gentry - for example to someone as they walk into the pub. I use it occasionally, but very rarely hear it from others - the one person I know who uses it has spent over a decade working in Asia.
On StyleForum, "squire" as a term of greeting is used unironically.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, not a language barrier. Just me pointing out that I could not understand why he would make an ironic joke.
Not to speak for him, but while it may have been posted for humor value, I do believe Derek always wears a suit when he goes in for a suit fitting...which actually makes sense to me and is something I would also do.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to speak for him, but while it may have been posted for humor value, I do believe Derek always wears a suit when he goes in for a suit fitting...which actually makes sense to me and is something I would also do.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually prefer to be addressed as Bwana.

Knurt

Reaction score
There might be a language barrier in play after all.

Knurt

Reaction score
Let us leave all this ridiculous stuff behind! And I hope I speak your language.

Knurt

Reaction score
Even if the suit is dead, I saw that a renowned wide lapel Napolitean brand apparently had narrowed their lapels. I am kind of sad to see this as my sartorial journey had included growing fond of wide lapels. With the suit dying this can hardly be a trend, but is it happening anyway?

Mirage-

Reaction score
Even if the suit is dead, I saw that a renowned wide lapel Napolitean brand apparently had narrowed their lapels. I am kind of sad to see this as my sartorial journey had included growing fond of wide lapels. With the suit dying this can hardly be a trend, but is it happening anyway?
I thought skinny lapels were a horrible past fashion trend that never quite went away, at least not in hight street shops (saving fabric?) where is seems to be the norm still.
This association is so strong in my mind, that I could not wear any jacket with lapels that don't even come close to mid chest. They immediately look and feel cheap to me, no matter the brand.

Knurt

Reaction score
I thought skinny lapels were a horrible past fashion trend that never quite went away, at least not in hight street shops (saving fabric?) where is seems to be the norm still.
This association is so strong in my mind, that I could not wear any jacket with lapels that don't even come close to mid chest. They immediately look and feel cheap to me, no matter the brand.
Not sure the idea was skinny lapels, more a narrowing adjustment.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Friday Challenge "Suited and Booted" VOTE NOW

• An Acute Style

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • Bernoulli

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Brennenman

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • cr2596

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Crafty Cumbrian