• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The furniture we'll keep when we move

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been a rather hardcore collector of 1960s and '70s modern design (mostly Italian, but with a bit of American and other European thrown in the mix) for more than a decade and also was a dealer (on the side) for some time. Over the years, a lot of pieces have come and gone, but my wife and I have reached a point where certain items will probably be with us for life:

1. Camaleonda modular sofa (huge!), Mario Bellini for C&B Italia (now B&B Italia), 1971. We bought this (via a dealer) from the original owners in D.C. They even had the original sales receipt, catalog, fabric swatch, certificate of authenticity, etc. We thought that it was an expensive purchase for us, but we translated the original cost (in 1978) to today's dollars, and the set, when new, would have been well over $30,000! Here is a partial view of the set (it has since been rearranged into one giant C-shaped unit):

livingroom3copy.jpg

2. Uski dining set, Giuseppe Raimondi for Gufram, 1966 (very, very rare -- I've only ever seen one other set for sale). It is blue fiberglass, with a white laminate tabletop and polished white vinyl chair upholstery. This set has already moved with us many times. It was purchased from a dealer in Atlanta, who had shipped it to his apartment in NY. When we bought it, the set was then sent from NYC to our place in San Francisco. It has since endured three other long-distance moves as well as a local one. The set in its current home:

breakfastroom1copy.jpg

Here is an image of the same set, in a different color combination (and in a snowy outdoor setting!), from a period distributor's catalog:

uskisnow.jpg

3. Marcuso dining table, Marco Zanuso for Zanotta, 1970 (this is in the formal dining room; the above set is in the breakfast room). This piece has been in continuous production since it was introduced; vintage examples turn up so rarely that it was one of the only 60s/70s designs that we decided to purchase "new." It arrived from Italy in a massive wooden create, with the chrome legs removed from the glass top. (We also have a Marcuso coffee table, vintage, but I'm not sure if it will be with us forever.) Here is a period catalog scan, from when ICF was the US importer of Zanotta goods (our dining table is larger and rectangular, though):

marcuso4.jpg

4. MR 10 dining chairs, Mies van der Rohe, 1927. Yes, these are wildly out of sync with the period in which the rest of our furnishings were designed, but I think they actually fit in quite nicely with the theme we're going for. These are our third, and dare I say final, set of dining chairs purchased to go with the above Marcuso dining table. We started with the classic S-shaped plastic chairs by Verner Panton (too clunky), then switched to wire Bertoia chairs (too uncomfortable), and finally purchased the Mies chairs (vintage Knoll examples from the '70s, in out-of-production, dark-brown leather) at auction last year. We're thrilled with them, from both an aesthetic and a comfort perspective. No photos of our set, but the chairs look like this:

10531.jpg

5. Toga chairs, Sergio Mazza for Artemide, 1968. When I became interesting in 1960s design, I started out collecting pieces with an eye toward creating a much more synthetic, pop-influenced environment. I don't have nearly as much plastic/fiberglass furniture as I once did, but the Toga chairs (two white, one black) are definitely keepers for me. Here are the white ones on our front porch:

frontdoorcopy.jpg

And a period catalog shot of the Toga chair:

toga.jpg

6. Toio lamp, Achille and Piergiacomo Castiglioni for Flos, 1962. This is my latest acquisition -- something I have always wanted, and something I will never part with now that I have one! Here is a stock photo (mine also has the red base):

toio.jpg

This has turned into a long post.... Obviously I'm pretty enthusiastic about this topic.
blush.gif

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
^this post is useless without pics. Well, not useless, but slightly disappointing
smile.gif

+1. Spertia; that's impressive, on both the counts of taste/selection and knowledge. How old are the Mieses, btw? Pics? Please?
bounce2.gif

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
+1.

Spertia; that's impressive, on both the counts of taste/selection and knowledge. How old are the Mieses, btw?

Pics? Please?
bounce2.gif

Thanks for the compliment, LS. I have since added some photos to the original post above.

The Mies chairs are about 35 years old; they're Knoll editions that were originally purchased in the '70s. The leather is nicely broken-in, yet the set is still in fantastic shape. The original owners paired the chairs with a Knoll dining table designed by Tobia Scarpa, but I actually prefer them with our Zanotta table (even though both designs have the same sort of chrome/glass '70s aesthetic).

modern_furniture

Reaction score
Hello Friends,
I have recently joined this community and I am looking forward to discussing modern furniture related topics with all of you guys.

I have started a new business regencyshop.com and I am hoping with the feedback, comments and guidance of our community here, I can take it in the right direction.

I have also been writing numerous articles on the subject of modern furniture and lights that can greatly benefit anyone in learning about modern furniture or making a better buying decision. You can view them here: http://regencyshop.com/articles.html

Again, I am excited to here and if there is any comment/feedback you'd like to give me about my site or anything else then please let me know.

Thank you,

Josh

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics