• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Friday WAYWRN Challenge is over

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Effective immediately, I am putting the Friday WAYWRN challenge to a halt.

When we first started doing this back in September, it brought out a lot of fresh ideas and interpretations on a certain theme. However, after almost 7 months of weekly challenges, we are running thin on ideas to keep it new and fresh. Entries lately have been only about 40% of what they were in the beginning, and I personally feel that nobody is really into using it as a learning tool anymore.

My point in starting them, as Holdfast has often noted, was to have a focus to build upon - much like the conservative business dress thread. Lately it has become less of a focus but more of a costume adventure, which is not what I wanted it to turn into.

I still believe in the idea, so maybe after a few months we can take another look at it and see what we can do to improve on it - but for now I think it is time to put it down for a nap.

I would entertain some serious ideas about another weekly focus for WAYWRN, following in the footsteps of Vox's digest and these challenges. I like the idea of Fred's wrapup, but something to work into the thread to force a different way of thinking, educating, and broadening ones horizons - not just a "best of" list (Dont stop though, Fred!).

To wrap up the loose ends - there will be no poll for the Linen challenge, although there were some really good entries and I thank you all for participating. Aeglus won the last challenge for best shoes, so down the road if we get this rolling again, the ball is in his court to pick the first challenge (or iteration of a challenge).

Keep learning, keep stylin, keep it real.

Spoo

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I say revive the PurseForvm idea. Let's work to smooth things over regarding the Mafoo Breast Wallet incident. Spoo, you're probably the best ambassador for the forum.

Inviting input from women would make things much more entertaining. Maybe we could have them vote in private first, and then see how they align with SF members.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 suggestions

1. Make it once a month

2. Friday wearing not required, Wear it any day of the week, just submit on Friday or whatever day is decided.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also, is there a way to handle entries that seem like rehashes from previous competitions?

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well first off I can see that you do a lot of behind the scenes stuff for the challenge Spoo so a virtual round of applause for that.

I'm a bit disappointed to hear this news as it made for something a bit different to look forward to on a Friday. I can see that challenge ideas were never gonna last forever but I'm a bit surprised you pulled the plug so suddenly - do many others think it was all a bit costumey this week? There are always a few like that but I always thought most were pretty sedate. Witness the disappointment that last week's five colours didn't provoke more psychedelic train wrecks.

Suggestions for the future:
Monthly instead of weekly challenges?
A return to Americans vs Foreigners with no set theme?

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
A return to Americans vs Foreigners with no set theme?
Ryder Cup of SF? That could be interesting. But there would have to be pre-set teams. And maybe some sort of prize for the winning team?

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ +1. A "SO picks it" challenge, where the SOs pick their faves would be interesting.

Good call on ending the challenges. I am naturally competitive, and found myself contemplating purchases I never would make normally, under duress.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like the monthly thing - I like a WEEKLY thing. It just spun so far out of the realm of an educational tool, that it was pointless for me to continue.

The challenges have been on a bit of decline theme-wise for awhile (Thanks Ian for recognizing the one that I picked as a good one
laugh.gif
) so dont think of it as pulling the plug - think of it as going back to the drawing board.

If someone can offer suggestions for a weekly thing that will not come off as costumey, etc. I would love to hear them and get some new stuff incorporated to keep it fresh.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
I am naturally competitive, and found myself contemplating purchases I never would make normally, under duress.

Were you going to buy them from me?

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
Ryder Cup of SF? That could be interesting. But there would have to be pre-set teams. And maybe some sort of prize for the winning team?

Instant disqualification and forum ban for any yanks screaming 'get in the hole!'
laugh.gif

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, wish I coulda helped more, but I can never seem to get a decent picture. My phone takes em too dark and I'm not sure I'm ready for the "I'm taking this picture for an internet contest" speech. My coworkers aren't ready for that. For what it's worth, I bought a new linen jacket on friday and woulda loved to have submitted were I able to get a decent picture.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Iron Chef style? Old guard members vs. newer members?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads