• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The French Laundry (Napa, CA)

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's been one of my life's goals (over 5 years) to dine here. I have an opportunity to this Monday but it's going to be very costly (meal, gas, vacation days, etc).

Has anyone been here? Thoughts?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Great food. Very, very expensive. (But you knew that.)

swisloc

Reaction score
please do this, if only so we who haven't been can live vicariously through you.
smile.gif

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have eaten there 4-5 times. I would say it's definitely worth it, despite the high cost. Are you going to go with their pairings?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If I'm ever in Napa, I'll definitely go.

A word on wine pairings in general... Make sure you're not a lightweight. I recently had wine pairings with a nine course menu and the woman I was with left plastered and I woke-up at 3am with a queasy stomach. Five glasses of wine (2 red, 2 white + dessert wine) plus cocktails will do that, but it's the red that really hits me. In the future I'll just be sticking to a bottle.

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not sure how their pairings work. I know it's a prie fixe tasting menu at $240.00.

I can't find the information about the price for pairings. My concern is our hotel is far away (near Oakland Airport?) so driving will be a logistical challenge if we are all plastered. I can probably handle the alcohol best in the group but 5 glasses of wine is no joke for anyone.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
friggin' quintuple post, damn screwy dsl

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sygyzy
I am not sure how their pairings work. I know it's a prie fixe tasting menu at $240.00.

I can't find the information about the price for pairings. My concern is our hotel is far away (near Oakland Airport?) so driving will be a logistical challenge if we are all plastered. I can probably handle the alcohol best in the group but 5 glasses of wine is no joke for anyone.

That is one hell of a drive if you're even a bit tipsy, or even if you're sober but have been traveling and just had a big, rich meal. If it's a budget issue, I think you'd be better off staying in a Motel 6 or something closer, even in Vacaville or some other place north of the Berkeley/Oakland density.
Or depending on the size of the group, maybe it makes sense to split the cost of a car service.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah Oakland is ridiculously far. you need to stay in Napa or Yountville. Rates should be really cheap on a Monday night in February. Maybe $90 for a nice bed and breakfast type of place.

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The reason we have to stay in Oakland is a buddy of mine is using points to get a free room and he wants it by the airport since he has to fly out at 4AM the next morning. Maybe I can convince him to change his mind. I guess his thinking is he doesnt want to wake up at 230 to make a 4AM flight.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sygyzy
The reason we have to stay in Oakland is a buddy of mine is using points to get a free room and he wants it by the airport since he has to fly out at 4AM the next morning. Maybe I can convince him to change his mind. I guess his thinking is he doesnt want to wake up at 230 to make a 4AM flight.
The free room isn't worth it - it's just too far to drive. And really, what's the difference between waking up at 2:30 in the morning and waking up at 3:00? Either way, he gets no sleep, and that drive back to Oakland will be a ***** after dinner.

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its definitely worth it, but as oters have plainly indicated, its not worth the drive back to Oaktown. Besides, part of the joy of the meal is the relaxed backdrop of Napa. The best way to really enjoy is to have the food and wine, trundle back to your LOCAL hotel and wake up the next morning next to your sweet smelling, wine sopped date/wife.

But since you're traveling with a buddy on a time schedule, its already a less than ideal situation; total bust. I'd wait until conditions were more favorable. In the meantime, just grab a bucket 'o chicken and watch the rerun of Rome.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads