1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The French Are Not Like You & Me (Long)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SartorialSplendour, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Walter

Walter Senior member

I have been living in Paris (on and off) for about 3 years now and I cant say I am particularly impressed with the way Parisians dress.
    Same thing in London or New York, from what I have seen.
    The only place in the world where I am constantly amazed at the great lengths anybody would go to be elegant is virtually any city in Italy.

2. LARon

LARon Senior member

I have been living in Paris (on and off) for about 3 years now and I cant say I am particularly impressed with the way Parisians dress.
    Same thing in London or New York, from what I have seen.
    The only place in the world where I am constantly amazed at the great lengths anybody would go to be elegant is virtually any city in Italy.

Amen to that, Brother. This is exactly what I said in my prior post in this thread.

The Italians are just simply, far and away, the most stylish/well dressed people I've ever experienced, followed -- on a per capita basis -- by the Argentines. While there is a clear qualitative difference between what one might see on the streets of Rome, Milan or Florence v.s. Buenos Aires, there is no mistaking the genuine effort in each culture to be "respectably presentable." This simply does not exist in Paris, let alone anywhere in the U.S.

The preferred manner of dress of the Italians and Argentines appears to be less about vanity and more about civic notions of showing respect to one's neighbors. While healthy numbers of well dressed people can seen all over NY, Paris and London, on a per capita basis, they're just not there in the numbers found in Italy or Argentina, especially Italy. The Italians just reek of passion and elegance in all that they do, whether car design, leather goods, violins, the arts -- sculpture, painting, opera, etc. They are an elegant lot.

An example: I was once in a candy store/chocolate shop in Florence and even the friggin' male cashier was outfitted in a natty suit and tie. Granted, it was his family's shop, and had been around for a few decades, but when compared to a typical cashier in a U.S. candy store (who, at best, may be wearing a corporate imposed uniform to pre-empt the individual preference for t-shirt, jeans and flip flops) it was quite impressive.

3. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

Yes! that's why I love Italy madly [​IMG]

4. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

The New York Times has conclusively documented that UK dental care is much worse than American dental care. It's not a stretch to claim that French attitudes toward dental care are more lax than American attitudes. Surprisingly, per capita, the popularity of cosmetic surgery in France might be about equal to its popularity in the USA. Choices of procedures vary. Americans are less "conservative." The French value their skin. The women have a reputation for artful use of makeup.