The French Are Not Like You & Me (Long)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SartorialSplendour, Feb 11, 2005.

1. ATM

ATM Senior member

Why is there so much random necroposting?
    It used to be a sign that a certain banned Frenchman was back under a new identity. [​IMG]

2. pkincy

pkincy Senior member

3. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

The Italians also place much emphasis on a certain personal presentation.

La Bella Figura: to present oneself in appearance and manners/demeanour to an expected/acceptable level.

I've been amazed, when hospital visiting, for example, to see the lengths other (Italian) visitors, men and women, go to. In the past I haven't dressed with as much thought and attention to detail to some weddings.

Buying Saturday's morning papers I still feel under-dressed no matter how hard I try.

4. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

La Bella Figura: to present oneself in appearance and manners/demeanour to an expected/acceptable level.

I've been amazed, when hospital visiting, for example, to see the lengths other (Italian) visitors, men and women, go to. In the past I haven't dressed with as much thought and attention to detail to some weddings.

Buying Saturday's morning papers I still feel under-dressed no matter how hard I try.

Since joining SF I've stopped going out the door looking like a slob, even if I'm just doing a quick errand. I ran out last weekend to get motor oil at a grocery store - sweaty from mowing the lawn - and felt like everyone was staring (they weren't).
    I'm not quite to la bella figura (beautiful face?) but I do feel better walking out the door.

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

La Bella Figura: to present oneself in appearance and manners/demeanour to an expected/acceptable level. I've been amazed, when hospital visiting, for example, to see the lengths other (Italian) visitors, men and women, go to. In the past I haven't dressed with as much thought and attention to detail to some weddings. Buying Saturday's morning papers I still feel under-dressed no matter how hard I try.
    This also includes various accessories including the cigarette, and sunglasses. Both of those items seem requisite for the Italians' conception of being chic.

6. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

We are proud of you, forumites, the few americans that are still stylish !

7. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

We are proud of you, forumites, the few americans that are still stylish !
    Uh, thanks. [​IMG]

8. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

That's what we call damning with faint praise.

9. seok

seok Senior member

16 ties for 8 days in Paris?

10. Christofuh

Christofuh Senior member

< cough, cough
    [​IMG]

11. kennethpollock

kennethpollock Senior member

12. LARon

LARon Senior member

God save the spirit of the French and Italians, whom I find to be far more stylish than the French. In my three trips to Paris, I have never been impressed that they care all that much for how they look. Granted, there are a lot of shops filled with well turned-out attendants but, in the main, I have not noticed the shifting throngs to be particularly well dressed.

Quite the opposite in Rome and Florence, especially Florence. Those folks have elegance -- like music, craftsmanship and high concept design -- in the blood.

Even the Argentines display a greater sense of elegance than the French. Not that I have anything against the French, mind you; they've just managed to underwhelm me each time I've visited (maybe because I've always been led to expect them to be the height of panache, and they aren't).

13. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

The French are not like you and me: they make things like this.

14. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

God save the spirit of the French and Italians, whom I find to be far more stylish than the French. In my three trips to Paris, I have never been impressed that they care all that much for how they look. Granted, there are a lot of shops filled with well turned-out attendants but, in the main, I have not noticed the shifting throngs to be particularly well dressed.

Quite the opposite in Rome and Florence, especially Florence. Those folks have elegance -- like music, craftsmanship and high concept design -- in the blood.

Even the Argentines display a greater sense of elegance than the French. Not that I have anything against the French, mind you; they've just managed to underwhelm me each time I've visited (maybe because I've always been led to expect them to be the height of panache, and they aren't).

Agreed !

15. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Some hard-to-dispute differences in appearance attitudes between the French and Americans are about teeth and cosmetic surgery. Americans are much more fond of those things. Also, Americans who highly value their looks are more likely to exercise religiously. In other words, the French indeed look more &quot;natural.&quot; One could make the argument that bodily attractiveness reduces the need for sophisticated casual dressing, but no image consultant would endorse that. Anyway, while how much better is hard to quantify, the French do dress better.