• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Flat Head Engineering Boots issue. HELP!

Calvin as in CALVIN

Reaction score
So first and foremost, apologies if I posted this in the wrong place. I’ll be more than happy to repost elsewhere.

I purchased these TFH engineer boots from Self Edge and it was the last 9. However, they came with an issue on the right foot.

The right foot doesn’t stand “flat” proportionally to the heel. When you push the heel down you can see that the forefoot is elevated from the ground. I’m not sure what the root of the problem comes from — is it the heel? Is it the whole wooden midsole? Was the Vibram sole constructed incorrectly? In a way, the only way I can see correcting this (which I’m able to when I’m wearing them) is to stand on my heel and flatten the forefoot with my toes. Obviously, this isn’t ideal, but I’m also wondering if this will correct itself over time / wear?

Any suggestions, tips, or even recommendations to someone who can fix/correct this would be much much appreciated!

Attachments

illiterate

Reaction score

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m guessing you can get them to a cobbler and ask them for an opinion. If a resole is required probably $150.

Calvin as in CALVIN

Reaction score
I’m guessing you can get them to a cobbler and ask them for an opinion. If a resole is required probably $150.
Thanks. I've been looking around for one as well in the bay area. some came up but would love to know if anyone out there has a good one they can recommend.

At the end of the day, SE was able to throw in a better price for them so i had to leave the store with them lol

illiterate

Reaction score
Thanks. I've been looking around for one as well in the bay area. some came up but would love to know if anyone out there has a good one they can recommend.

At the end of the day, SE was able to throw in a better price for them so i had to leave the store with them lol
Brian the bootmaker (Role Club) in LA. Very good work and well known. He's famous for making engineer boots and also does repairs/resoles.

Calvin as in CALVIN

Reaction score
Brian the bootmaker (Role Club) in LA. Very good work and well known. He's famous for making engineer boots and also does repairs/resoles.
i actually shot him an email and DM this morning so waiting on that!

i'll be sure to keep this thread updated for those who run into this problem in the future

Goliath123

Reaction score
As a cobbler myself I see this quite often. If the boots are comfortable to wear out of the box its not a problem, they'll break in and align themselves. If they aren't a good fit now then your best bet is to get them fixed up. Its not a huge deal tbh and ive seen alot worse

gnu

Reaction score
Brian is great but wait times are getting up there. Last I heard it was like 3 years for new builds. Not sure what his wait time is for rebuilds though. I'd probably just wear them and let them settle out or return and get something else, like the Lofgren's personally.

Calvin as in CALVIN

Reaction score
As a cobbler myself I see this quite often. If the boots are comfortable to wear out of the box its not a problem, they'll break in and align themselves. If they aren't a good fit now then your best bet is to get them fixed up. Its not a huge deal tbh and ive seen alot worse
that’s reassuring. SE said the same thing but just wanted more opinions from everyone

Brian is great but wait times are getting up there. Last I heard it was like 3 years for new builds. Not sure what his wait time is for rebuilds though. I'd probably just wear them and let them settle out or return and get something else, like the Lofgren's personally.
yeah we’ll see what he says. I’m just being stubborn and want these fixed vs having to go through the process of wearing them into place. It’s not the comfiest feel right now

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How did Covid-19 impact your personal style?

• My style hasn't changed at all.

• My wardrobe hasn't changed but I am wearing casual clothes more often.

• I invested in new good quality leisure and casual clothes.

• I invested in new sartorial clothes taking advantage of the sales.

• I purged my closet during quarantine and I have nothing left to wear.

Results are only viewable after voting.