1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The fit model

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ambulance Chaser, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

In a recent issue of GQ, the Style Guy noted that designers design clothing for a certain body type, known as the "fit model," and that certain designers (such as Calvin Klein) design for a slightly more athletic, buffer body.  Does anyone know (from experience with fit or direct knowledge) what body types certain designers design for?  I think that Hugo Boss designs for a more athletic build, but that's only an educated guess.

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Moderator

Hugo Boss does design for a more athletic, fuller body type. Werner Baldessarini, the head designer, has said as much in recent interviews. Here is a far from complete run down, based on their suit fits as I've found them.
    Athletic, or more natural, body types and classic American fit: Boss (wider shoulders, elongated torso), Calvin Klein, Hickey Freeman, Polo, Oxxford. Strangely enough, I've found that Burberry (London) suits also generally fall into this category.
    Natural shoulder: Jil Sander, Helmut Lang, Armani, Donna Karan.
    English style: (higher armholes, more tucked in waist): Ralph Lauren Purple Label, Gieves and Hawkes, Kilgour, French & Stanbury
    The thin designer dukes, long and lean types: (narrow shoulders, agressive cut): Prada, Gucci, and especially Dior, Dolce & Gabbana, most seasons.

I've not included certain designers like Versace whom I find difficult to categorize.

3. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

I don't quite know what you mean by "natural shoulder" but most armani stuff fits me perfectly and i'm more on the slim side. Boss as well for their casual stuff, I am by no means some big muscly guy but their clothes, with the exception of their suits which i don't really fill out, fit well. It's irrelevant though, I would think most people try on their clothes before they buy [​IMG]