1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Fine Neighborhood Men's Store Lives

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by lisapop, Apr 11, 2005.

1. lisapop

lisapop Senior Member

I came across a discussion bemaoning the death of the fine neighborhood men's store, and while, indeed, many have faded away, not all have. Â I came across a terrific store called MS McClellan, located in Knoville, Tennessee (I've taken some liberties in that they sell women's clothes, too), carrying the torch, and hope that others exist, too. Â Wondering what other stores are flourishing in your neighborhood or elsewhere in the US... http://www.msmcclellan.com/ Grayson

2. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I've never visited the store (although I'm through Knoxville all along), but I visit the McClellan website pretty often. In Birmingham I would direct people to Shaia's, Plain Clothes (home of the Alden specs from the other thread) and Harrison Limited (pretty Trad oriented). All three are different, but have small shops, well edited offerings and seem to know what they're doing.

3. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Senior Member

McClellan's is an upstanding retailer, to be sure. Since we're giving "shout-outs," I have to rep my local store of distinction, Davidsons, in Roanoke, Virginia. Â These guys know clothes, especially at the downtown store, and their service is always above-board. An honorable mention has to go to Paul Simon Co. in Charlotte, North Carolina. Â I don't buy as much from them becuae my free hours and ther business hours do not mesh as well, but I highly reccomend their clothing and service.

4. newyorker

newyorker Senior Member

The MS McClellan website states this of Borrelli shirts: "At an average price of $250, Borelli is certainly an indulgence, but one with which nothing else compares."

Surely the price isn't right?

5. odoreater

odoreater Distinguished Member

You know, it's kind of funny but, whenever I go to the strip mall down the street to get lunch, I'm tempted to go into Subway Sandwiches, but then I feel guilty about the thought and I go to the independent deli next door.

I like to support small independent businesses where I can, them being the backbone of the american economy and all. That's also one of the reasons why I started going to Gambert shirts for my custom shirts.

6. newyorker

newyorker Senior Member

I don't think that people should support independent stores for the sake of supporting independent stores. However, independent stores may have qualities which larger chain lack: personalized service, access to owners, specialized expertise. The key here is how do we whet the appetite of the average consumer to appreciate high quality products and high quality service? Brand name recognition is just advertising, and perhaps the world economy would be more productive and people would be happier if everyone directed their spending dollars toward quality instead of advertising.

7. odoreater

odoreater Distinguished Member

That's exactly the thing though, Subway has these huge pictures of these delicious looking sandwiches on their windows that are so tempting, whereas the independent place has nothing on their windows. However, I think that ultimatelhy the independent place has better service and a better sandwich.

I think the same goes true for clothing stores, a lot of the "name brand" places have sales people that aren't that knowledgable, yet still snobbish. For example, I went to Brooks Brothers and was told repeatedly that their slim-fit shirts wouldn't look good on me because I'm a big guy. I'm 6'2" and 220 lbs. However, what the salesman didn't realize is that my neck is disproportionately large for my body and therefore I need shirts that are slimmer in the body, even though I'm not what one would define as "slim." He didn't even say "try it on and see how it'll fit" he just flat out told me "a slim fit wouldn't look good on you." After buying their regular cut, which was ginormous on me, I returned 4 shirts the next day and bought 4 slim fit shirts that fit much better. Go figure.

8. newyorker

newyorker Senior Member

The average consumer is just too busy (or frankly, are they just too insecure) to trust herself enough to make choices without being lectured by TV and magazine ads about what they should buy (or where they should summer, or what they should wear). Reasonably independent minded people have never needed to be told what to do. They've always asked friends they've come to trust and/or put in some effort and/or research on their own.

9. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior Member

or by Manton?

10. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Distinguished Member

scrap that. i don't know what i was thinking.

11. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Senior Member

In one sentence you have explained the success of the Men's Wearhouse.

12. johnapril

johnapril Distinguished Member

Raleigh Limited, Indianapolis, albeit website-less

13. Horace

Horace Distinguished Member

Hear Hear.

14. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

(newyorker @ April 12 2005,11:45) The average consumer is just too busy (or frankly, are they just too insecure) to trust herself enough to make choices without being lectured by TV and magazine ads about what they should buy
    or by Manton?
    I see I may need to put the disclaimer back up ...

15. JBZ

JBZ Distinguished Member

I've mentioned them before, but Allen Collins in West Hartford, Connecticut and Stackpole Moore Tryon in Hartford, Connecticut. Neither one has a website. Tuesdays in Hartford, Connecticut - www.tuesdaysonyourmind.com, I believe. Regards, Jeff