• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The final word...

Jofaile

Reaction score
This is the final word on whether or not a gold solid or majority pattern tie is stylish worn with a white spread collar dress shirt (Oleg Cassini, Donna Karen, Marso Varosou) with any colour suit belonging to the white/gray/black spectrum. I have many friends that say it is perfectly fine, and wear the combination to semi-formal events, yet my sister and a friend (girl) both say it is not a dashing look in the least. However, my girlfriend seems to love it (she was raised in a very formal setting [shirts always tucked in, no baggy clothing, suits worn to any remotely dressy event and always worn to church, no exceptions, etc], as was I). What do you think?

GatorStyle

Reaction score
I don't think there's any doubt that the look you describe is perfectly stylish.  If a guy had to get by with only one variety of shirt collar, I think he might do well to choose spread collar.  I think virtually of my white dress shirts have spread collars.  These collars match up particularly well with french cuffs for a very elegant look.  

And with the gold tie you describe, I think it's especially sharp.  Just yesterday I wore a white spread collar/french cuffed shirt with solid gold/yellowish tie and navy pinstripe suit to work, and to a deposition that I took.  That gold tie used to be my go-to tie when I was first interviewing for jobs (though not with a french cuffed shirt during the interview process), as I think it's a nice, power tie alternative (to, say, red).

So in most cases where wearing a suit and tie is appropriate to begin with, I think the look you describe is great.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
I agree, Jofaile, although I'm noy particularl fond of solid ties. Probably due to all the HIDEOUS ones I wore in the 70s.

PConsultant

Reaction score
Jofaile, I wore a white french-cuffed dress shirt with a gold tie and a blue 3-button suit to a Christmas party a few months ago and received tons of compliments. Go for it, and with the spread collar you'll look even more elegant. And hold on to the girlfriend. It's hard to find ones with style
smile.gif

Jofaile

Reaction score
I had planned to wear a gold pattern tie (not solid Steve, it has a very small oval pattern with a hint of blue between the gold ovals) with one of my white spread collars (I love spread collars though I have straight point collars just to mix it up a bit) and a black three-button for Easter. Anyway, thanks for all of your feedback. Â
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads