The Film thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sipang, Oct 23, 2013.

1. diniro

diniro Senior member

2. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Sounds like an awesome guy. Thanks, diniro. Both the movie and Hockney's book look excellent. :slayer:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  3. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

In other news, I'm stoked about this Chomsky x Gondry collab....

And the happy fact that we can all watch Sleepaway Camp in full HD right there on YouTube. You might recall how the ending totally presaged the big reveal from Iain Banks's The Wasp Factory.

4. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

I can't watch the trailer for the Chomsky movie without thinking of Waking Life.

I just watched Old Boy (the original one). I'm interested in seeing the new one, but not terribly optimistic having seen the trailer. I'm guessing there'll be a different ending. Probably no octopus scene - or at least it'll be considerably different - which is a damn shame.

I also just watched The Fall. Highly recommended.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

5. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

+1 on the recommendation of The Fall, I thought it was very good. Tarsem Singh is a really inventive filmmaker. He is the only reason The Cell is tolerable ("a violent/gorey psycho-thriller starring J.Lo and Vince Vaughn" !), and why The Immortals is so much nicer to look at than Clash of the Titans or any of the other swords-and-sandals films of the same period, and why Mirror Mirror is actually fairly enjoyable to watch whereas Snow White and the Huntsman is awful beyond belief.

Oldboy was my favourite of Chan-wook Park's vengeance trilogy, and I cannot stand Spike Lee as an individual so I'm glad his crummy remake is bombing hard.

6. zapatiste

zapatiste Senior member

persevering in trans-dimensional subconsciousness
    I enjoyed The Fall as well , haven't watched his other stuff though.

i can't stand chomsky. i'll probably suffer through that anyway

7. hoodyear

hoodyear Senior member

The Fall was beautiful.

I also loved Oldboy, and I'm also probably skipping the remake. Only slightly tempted because of Sharlto Copley, whom I love, but I figure at the very best it's a watered down version of the original.

While we're talking about dark, violent South Korean movies, I definitely recommend Hong-jin Na's work. Especially The Chaser, which is one of my favorite movies of all time. Totally brilliant and devastating.

[​IMG]

8. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior member

Let's play a game: We all know that Disney now has control over the Star Wars franchise, right? If you were in charge, who would be your choice to direct the new Star Wars film(s)?

9. Donut

Donut Senior member

Was looking for a film to see tonight so I guess I'll check out The Fall. Thanks guys.

My favorite South Korean film has to be A Bittersweet Life

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

10. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Why?

11. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

I have to say this is one of my favorite threads. You guys have opened up my mind so some movies that I would otherwise ignore

Anyways back to one of mine contributions, recently I enjoyed a gem I had not seen in a long time:

[​IMG]

What can I say about Rumble in the Bronx....Mountains and bays in the background, unintended comedic gold with the voice dubs, Danny, hover craft vs Countach joust, Jackie kissing a woman (I never see him get a love interest), Jackie giving out words of wisdom before and after he kicks ass...

I was too young to realize last time, but the stunts JC did in this movie were crazy

12. zapatiste

zapatiste Senior member

not really in scope of this thread but anyway, it's more to do with his cult status of heroic proportions for hyper left ideologues that regurgitate his works like gospel. i'm sort of divorcing him from his seminal works in developmental linguistics because i think his contributions there have been great, and i'm mainly exposed to his public appearances and interviews rather than any intimacy with his writings, but suffice it to say that his negativity is unbearable and often untenable -- he once was going on his usual rants against the US involvement in Nicaragua and when asked by a member of the audience what he would have suggested instead he just got mad and dismissed the question, a typical reaction because all he can do is cast a negative light on whatever he may take issue with. And librlols eat this up while rethuglicans foam at the mouth after any mention of his name.

13. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Oh. Yeah, I can see that. I think of him primarily as a linguist, where, as you've said, his contributions are invaluable. As someone who survived a couple degrees where literature was always septenary to a host of soggy and fashionable ideologies, I can also really appreciate his non-obscurantist bent. But frustration with his fans aside, I think he's actually a pretty upstanding guy, really generous with his students and so forth. I had a teacher, one of his friends and colleagues, who also felt that he should keep his focus on linguistics; at Christmas parties and so forth, he said a group of these MIT guys would be sitting around scarfing down the eggnog talking about Ezra Pound and whatnot, and then whenever the Chomsks would go off on a tangent about Nicaragua or something they'd just laugh and take another drink and give him this look like, Oh, you....

14. zapatiste

zapatiste Senior member

i have to say that christmas dinner party with him does sound like much entertainment !

15. diniro

diniro Senior member

Apparently this was released this past weekend and tanked bad. Other good S.Korean movies:

Mother
    I Saw the Devil
    Save the Green Planet