1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Film thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sipang, Oct 23, 2013.

1. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

Yeah, I definitely agree with you. It could've been a much tighter film and definitely feels like a missed opportunity at times.

I should've known it was Lubezki again, so many shots looked like Tree of Life.

~~~

Haven't been watching many movies lately, so if ya'll have recommendations for some good recent-ish stuff, that'd be great. I'm down for anything.

I watched The Hateful Eight in 70mm a while back. 70mm was cool, hard to tell any difference from digital projection if you saw it in a megaplex mall theater like I did, but I really enjoyed the experience and felt it worth the extra money. The program, overture, intermission-- it all just made the shitty movie experience fun, and I enjoyed that.

The movie itself was kinda raggedy. The first act was absolutely fuckin' amazing, real old school spaghetti western with some great cinematography. Super fun typical Tarantino humor interspersed with serious story telling. Second act was kind of a mess and typical Tarantino, but was "fun" in the Tarantino way, I guess. I really disliked Django, enjoyed Inglorious Basterds, and I enjoyed this one since I've got a soft spot for westerns.

Still think his stuff is getting more and more predictable and he's ramming politics and race relations down your throat now. Would like some nuance back from him, but honestly, don't think he's gonna top the samurai/kung fu/western masterpiece of Kill Bill.

1 person likes this.
  2. hennree

hennree Senior member

I watched Marshland recently - pretty enjoyable, really nice cinematography with some great aerial shots.

It's basically a Spanish True Detective (season 1) - so if you need another fix of that I'd recommend watching.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  3. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

In case anyone missed my last post about it, I just want to once again let everyone know that Leviathan Wakes aka SFs favorite book of 2015 is available as a tv-series.
    Six episodes out so far and each one of them has been pretty fantastic
    [​IMG]
    It has also recently been renewed for a second season [​IMG]

4. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial

ugh it's like so bad though

4 people like this.
  5. kindofyoung

First you sell all your shoes and now this

You truly are going mad
    Nah but I'd be interested to hear why you think that, like ok if you don't think it's as great as I do but to say it's bad, really?

6. Synthese

I dunno. It's bad but I guess I'm still watching it. I have no big thoughts for you, but I'm really not in love with the main cast (no subtlety there), and so far I mostly don't like the way they've shot it. They go out of the way to draw attention to their clunky zero-g effects that it's hard stop noticing. I'll watch the 2 I haven't seen pretty soon, an maybe I'll change my tune. My only thought so far is "typical mediocre book adaptation." I get that sci-fi doesn't have an unlimited budget, but I dunno man. The cheesiness in the books is endearing - don't find that the case so far with the show.

Just re-read the first 4 books and remembered how much I love them, though. Damn.

7. the shah

the shah Senior member

i haven't read the books, but the way they're developing the plot just seems predictably boring here. and each episode ends with the overly dramatic setup for next week like cartoons back in the day. the acting is also bad, not jessica chastain bad, but almost like i'm watching a parody of a sci fi movie.

1 person likes this.
  8. Synthese

yeah, that. Too many Meaningful Stares and Quivering Lips and Edges of Seats

9. kindofyoung

Fair enough, you're right about the cheesiness, but I do feel like it's harder to convey that feeling properly through film/tv than books.
    Other than that I'm also a fan of that they kept the slang intact and I like most of the actors (especially Chrisjen) but they have definitely been a bit slow about showing Holdens "good" side (there's luckily some more of that in the latest 2 episodes)

This may be me remembering incorrectly, but there's so much that happens in the books that you're bound to end some episodes with setups for the next one
    (which is also the reason I basically read through the book in one whole go).

I should probably read the books again.

10. sipang

sipang Senior member

I'm still watching but I feel like it's becoming more generic with each new episode even though you know some serious shit is building up. Haven't read the books but what I enjoy the most so far are all peripheral world building aspects, the background stuff that's not explained but shown (the tech, the mining stuff in the last ep,, the slingshot club thing etc). But the closer you get to the main narrative the more uninspired the treatment gets.

11. RXS09

RXS09 Senior member

I've read all of the books, and it's definitely my favorite science fiction series next to Dune.

I watched half of the first episode until I had to shut it off. Pretty disappointing, but I wasn't expecting much from the SyFy channel

12. sipang

sipang Senior member

I was surprised at how 'stagey' and static it turned out to be, especially given the choice of filming in Panavision (interiors looked great though). All in all, I felt like it was maybe at least as much indebted to suspense/horror films and less of a direct spaghetti homage (Hitchcock, Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None and most def Carpenter's The Thing...). If nothing else, Tarantino does a good job at reworking/blending his influences into unexpected configurations. But I agree that the politics angle is maybe taking precedence over the rest (increasingly so) and in some ways the film feels overall tamer and more conventional for it.

I guess Chris Waltz was too busy filming Spectre (ugh) so they brought in Tim Roth as a stand-in, threw me off for a minute.

Morricone is still kicking it at 87. I like that after using the more iconic western stuff in so many of his films, Tarantino finally gets him to arrange a score for his own western and we get horror music instead with a soundtrack built around the ominous opening theme and a bunch of unused tracks from The Thing and Exorcist 2.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  13. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

Man, I hadn't even realized how horror influenced it was until I read your post. Definitely got the Agatha Christy vibe, but the more I think about The Thing and Hitchcock it makes a lot of sense. Damn, that's good. That music comparison is incredible.

Tim Roth was very Waltzy and threw me for a loop for a bit, too. He did a great job, though, even if it was a very iconically Christoph Waltz character at this point.

14. RXS09

RXS09 Senior member

I loved The Hateful 8

15. sipang

sipang Senior member

To be fair, I probably read something about it somewhere before seeing the film (just did a quick browse and by Tarantino's own admission it's basically his take on The Thing). That and the trifecta Kurt Russell + snow + Morricone.

And if we want to sink to masturbatory depths, deep down The Thing is about contagious paranoia, how you can't trust anyone etc ... (Agatha Christie again) and is prime material for all kinds of allegorical interpretations, political or social, though I don't know if Carpenter intended it as strongly as Tarantino does, but still you could say that the political commentary lineage exists between the two (I believe the original The Thing from the 50s was concerned with the cold war while Carpenter's version supposedly refers to the aids epidemic, or something like that...).

And well, the ending...

(spoilers)

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  16. sipang

sipang Senior member

I'm sure it's already posted somewhere in this thread but...

The Great Silence stands next to the Leone stuff at the top and is the definitive snow spaghetti.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

The English dub is particularly bad

full soundtrack

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

3 people like this.
  17. diniro

diniro Senior member

I don't think I'd put Hateful Eight in Tarantino's top 5 but I still went to watch it twice in 70mm, because I think that type of filmmaking deserves all the money. The second time I went an hour early to snag the best seat, 3 or 4 rows from the back right in the middle. Took a couple of phone pics of the projector and projectionist when the credit was rolling:

[​IMG]
    you can see the film running along the top

[​IMG]
    turned around and gave dude a thumbs up when the overture started

2 people like this.
  18. Donut

Donut Senior member

Late one with this but Fargo season 2 was phenomenal. Loved the humor and cinematography. I seriously doubted this series when it came out but season 1 was great and season 2 was so good. Also really enjoyed the Coen brother references and even the Scorsese style freeze frames in episode 9.

Sipang you took the words right out of my mouth with your review of The Revenant. I had high expectations but at least the shots of Alberta winter (my home) were beautiful. I also found it funny when I read that DiCaprio was shocked at witnessing a chinook and attributed it to climate change.

19. colabear

colabear Senior member

Just saw Carol and The Revenant. Great acting from both Cate & Leo, but who am I to judge them for their acting skills, I'm not good in acting, but really good work from both of them. I hope they win Oscars

20. hennree

hennree Senior member

lol I think you can make a judgement on other peoples skills even if you don't know said skill yourself.

I really hope DiCaprio doesn't win an Oscar for this.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016