The Film thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sipang, Oct 23, 2013.

1. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Senior member

Anyone seen this movie? One of my favourites. There aren't enough films out there about paranoia, other than the also excellent Freeze Frame.

[​IMG]

2. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

I'm at work so I cannot see what YouTube link you've posted, but The Game is is a pretty good paranoia film. Gaslight is too.

3. sipang

sipang Senior member

Lots of films from the 70s-80s dealing with paranoia. The Conversation (Coppola) and The Tenant (Polanski) are brilliant and the first that come to mind but there are a lot of others: all the conspiracy thrillers from the 70s (Three Days of the Condor, The Parallax View,...), Rosemary's Baby/Repulsion/Chinatown (Polanski again, always a safe bet), Don't Look Now (Roeg), Brazil (Gilliam), Possession (Zulawski), the Cronenberg stuff etc etc

For more recent stuff there's Safe (Haynes) and yeah The Game is a good one. Pi (Aronofsky) also deserves a mention.

4. brightorangetrousers

brightorangetrousers Senior member

Great selection. I'd add Blowout (De Palma).

5. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

I love Safe, but I always considered it more about anxiety, the fallout of the age of plenitude, than paranoia. I'd like to think of those two as distinct; I must!

Great list. :D

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  6. pasteurisation

pasteurisation Senior member

Lynch has made many movies with crazy story though. What about De Palma's Sisters or Fuller's Shock Corridor, for example?

7. Donut

Donut Senior member

I've been trying to catch up on 2013 films and I would definitely recommend The Great Beauty to everyone here. Absolutely gorgeous film.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Next up is Her

8. pasteurisation

Hi, Gaslight is one that was made in 1940? I haven't watched the movie. Is it good? I have watched another Gaslight with Charles Boyer & Ingrid Bergman though.

9. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

I'm talking about the one you've already seen. The one with the slutty young Angela Lansbury.

Also, Jack Reacher is now on Netflix Steaming! It's not going to win any awards, but it's very entertaining and re-watchable.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  10. pasteurisation

hahaha, she was really good when she played a mean character. She was even stunning in Manchurian Candidate. It was one of the greatest films from Frankenheimer.

Regarding Jack Reacher, I've watched it on airplane. Not really sure what to comment this film though.

11. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Senior member

Thanks both. Very much appreciated :)

12. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

[​IMG]

D.W. Griffith's INTOLERANCE
    Digitally Restored and featuring the lush orchestral score by acclaimed composer CARL DAVIS

In 1916, everything changed... D.W. Griffith's masterpiece INTOLERANCE revolutionized the face of cinema. Hailed as "perhaps the greatest film ever made. In it one can see the source of most of the major traditions of the screen" by The New Yorker, Cohen Film Collection is proud to bring this work of art to back to cinemas worldwide. Fully restored in 2k by Modern Videofilm under the supervision of Cohen Film Collection, this sweeping epic features the lush orchestral score by acclaimed composer Carl Davis conducting the Luxembourg Radio Symphony Orchestra. Counted among the most influential films of all time by The Library of Congress, National Film Registry, Sight & Sound and The American Film Institute.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

13. pasteurisation

Sounds like an amazing film. I can't find the info about the movie on IMDB though, where did you source the info? I haven't even heard about the director D.W. Griffith. How ignorant I am.

14. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Good list. One could argue that the cinema of paranoia really starts with the arrival of the German expressionists, and particularly Fritz Lang, in Hollywood - what is Film Noir, if not paranoid? The 60s / 70s US stuff is post-McCarthy, middle of the Cold War era (like TV series like The Fugitive, The Invaders and The Twilight Zone) but also reflect the growing realization that the 'danger' was not from 'Reds under the bed' but the US government spending a lot of time spying on its own people... shame most people seem to have forgotten this and had to be taught the lesson again by Edward Snowden et al.

There's a nice list of very-much-connected 'surveillance films' here: http://www.surveillance-studies.net/?p=310

15. diniro

diniro Senior member