1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The fashion articles + interviews thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sipang, Jan 27, 2013.

1. the shah

the shah Senior member

i don't care for return to all black but there's something repulsive about a trend that may have started or gained momentum when the camera was placed on the user's side of the apparatus where object and subject are one, ushering the age of confession.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  2. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

"I am leery about the idea that anyone can be a critic, passing judgment after seeing a show (from the front only and in distorted color) on Style.com or NowFashion."

haha. what would styleforum do if it couldn't pass judgment on shows and items in webshops (from the front, occasionally the side, and in distorted color)!? could you imagine people withholding judgment because they thought they couldn't accurately judge something from a picture? this place would be a ghost town.

obviously in this case the benefit of the internet, and the glut of imagery that travels across it, is that people outside the big cosmopolitan centers now have a lot more access to fashion. but trying to get an accurate idea of a 3D garment from a little 2D representation is damn near impossible. and she's definitely right about the distorted color. i don't know how many times I've seen something online and then seen it in person and wasn't even sure it was the same item. i don't really shop online anymore because of this. but then I can do that because I live in New York.

i think this same point applies to pretty much any object that's created to be looked at, like a painting. i remember the first time I saw Guernica in person and was blown away at how freaking big it is. before that I'd only seen pictures on the internet or those cheap posters. the scale is a really vital part of that painting though, and it's just completely removed once you're looking at it through a picture and not in person.

3. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

As if she has some intimate understanding of a garment because it's been paraded past her once as one component in a busy ensemble in the midst of a strobe-lit fashion show. You can glimpse these folks at the periphery of the runway videos and many of them do not seem to be paying nearly enough attention. The quote above in particular is just the whining of a falling aristocracy seeing the "rabble" rise up to meet it.

I don't disagree that handling clothes is better than examining photographs, but the reviewers haven't typically "handled" anything, as far as I know. Even glimpsing the clothes in person has got to be better than seeing video only, but it's a pretty brief glimpse at that, and high definition is getting pretty damn clear. These critics are every bit as desperate to inflate their own authority as Gucci and Prada are to maintain their luxury cachet.

4. pickpackpockpuck

very good point. I would say, though, that the people you see at the periphery of the shows are just as often as not the sort of people who are only there for the media spectacle. hopefully the reviewers and buyers are actually paying attention. but yeah, seeing a garment for ten seconds isn't a lot to go on either.

one thing I would hope a reviewer could contribute is some sense of fashion-history context, though. a lot of times I feel like most reviews are written by whoever was assigned the task of writing the text that will be on the site next to the images, which are all most people are probably looking for. but i would like to know if a collection is referencing something in particular, or if it fits in a larger trend or school of thought or something. suzy menkes should be able to offer that, at least.

5. the shah

the shah Senior member

Buyers have access to the garments before they buy, shortly following the shows.

dont see why a reviewer wouldnt either (I waltzed into an Ann D private buyers' sale in Paris everyone thought I was from some boutique or other) except that reviews now have to be written as the show happens, break the story first or forever be lower ranked page hit result on google.

6. pickpackpockpuck

yes, but they should still pay attention! unless they're just there for the spectacle too...

7. the shah

the shah Senior member

you edited your post !!

another thing to consider is how quickly popular blogs are bought out, then promoting what they're being gifted to do rather than maintaining a critical perspective.
    i guess this is true of many other publications too ... maybe that's why Doyen turned his back on the 'nasty, stupid' world of modern art that he says has become calcified by too much money, celebrity and self-reverence.

8. wurm

wurm Senior member

posting in this thread so i can notice it easier

9. the shah

the shah Senior member

maintaining now an unwaivering thrifted vision

10. sipang

sipang Senior member

gratuitous bump

11. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member