Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Excel Questions Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by CunningSmeagol, May 4, 2009.

1. lbcgav

lbcgav Senior member

Is there a way to have the height of a cell grow while keeping the width the same as you add more text to the cell? Something like an auto-grow function.

2. lbcgav

lbcgav Senior member

This will be an easy answer. (Need to improve Excel skills).

I have 6 worksheets with only two columns each. Column A has a listing of names, Column B has a listing of percentages corresponding to the names.

I need to add up the listing of Names(A) with the percentages across the 6 worksheets. Essentially consolidating into one. Keep in mind some of the same names appear in the 6 sheets, with different percentages.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

This solution might not be the prettiest, but I'm pretty sure it would work: Copy the contents of the 6 worksheets onto one worksheet, then use a Pivot Table to sum up the values of the percentages for each name.

3. dsgNYC

dsgNYC Senior member

Is there a way to have the height of a cell grow while keeping the width the same as you add more text to the cell? Something like an auto-grow function.

You can wrap the text (Format -> Cells -> check the Wrap Text box). This will also expand the size of the row for all cells in that row.

4. lbcgav

lbcgav Senior member

You can wrap the text (Format -> Cells -> check the Wrap Text box). This will also expand the size of the row for all cells in that row.

I tried that and it didn't work, but it must have been the way I copied the contents from a word document and pasted them into Excel. I tried it again using paste special, text and now it works like a charm. Thanks.

5. dsgNYC

dsgNYC Senior member

This solution might not be the prettiest, but I'm pretty sure it would work: Copy the contents of the 6 worksheets onto one worksheet, then use a Pivot Table to sum up the values of the percentages for each name.

This is part of the solution I was thinking about. You could write a macro that compiled all of your data from the 6 worksheets into a new worksheet, then run a PivotTable off of the data in that new worksheet.

6. calatrava

calatrava Active Member

Is there a way to get a formula to jump a certain defined amount of rows or columns?

Imagine that there is a chunk of data from a package that I copy and paste eight times. It takes up the same dimensions but alot of it is redundant. So I want to make the output smooth.

The function I imagine is like =B(8+10), such that I want it to skip down 10 rows.

7. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

Is there a way to get a formula to jump a certain defined amount of rows or columns?

Imagine that there is a chunk of data from a package that I copy and paste eight times. It takes up the same dimensions but alot of it is redundant. So I want to make the output smooth.

The function I imagine is like =B(8+10), such that I want it to skip down 10 rows.

Google the "offset" function.

8. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

Google the "offset" function.

Offset is great. Let us know if that's what you needed.

9. snuffy

snuffy Active Member

Hey guys

Any suggestions on how to improve excel skills. Do most of you learn through books? Seeing other peoples templates?

10. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

Hey guys

Any suggestions on how to improve excel skills. Do most of you learn through books? Seeing other peoples templates?

Your boss wants something done and you have to figure out a way to do it. A lot of times this means using the help index, asking on the internet, or reading a book. I got a lot of answers by reading the excel newsgroups, the microsoft support pages (where the real excel motherfuckers hang out), and John Walkenbach's books (there's one for formulas and one for VBA).

The 'easy' or 'elegant' solution will sometimes take longer to find than finishing the task manually, i.e. deleting all empty rows in a list of thousands, or summarizing the names of a 150 sheet workbook. Especially at first. The extra effort is almost always worth it, even if the same task does not come up again, because a) you will learn functions that can be applied to other tasks, and b) you will learn to quickly navigate the resources you can tap to find answers.

11. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Where was this thread when I took Advanced Finance?!?!?!?!?!? [​IMG]

12. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Is there a way to 'fill down' when highlighting cells for a graph's series'?

13. dsgNYC

dsgNYC Senior member

Is there a way to 'fill down' when highlighting cells for a graph's series'?

Not quite sure what you mean by 'fill down'. Can you give a particluar example?

14. dsgNYC

dsgNYC Senior member

Hey guys

I learned on the job a few years ago. I was semi-proficient in Excel when I started and I got a lot better just using it day in, day out. However, I learned the most by buying a book on VBA, frequenting sites like MrExcel.com, etc. For me, it wasn't so much the reading of the books that helped, but it was the working through examples and problems in the books that really helped.

15. calatrava

calatrava Active Member

Thanks a lot, I was thinking that OFFSET was the function that I needed and it worked. Just wondering if anyone knows how to create cumulative totals of say production from the same company over time?