• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Excel Questions Thread

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad to help. Mr G, can you please elaborate on your question? I don't really understand what you need to happen, because as I said, what I think you want doesn't seem all that desirable to me.

Neo1824

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dsgNYC
The simple macro I wrote in my last post gives you the path of the file, which will vary based on who is running the macro and what letter their share drive is mapped to. So, if you're coworker retrieves the file from their X:\\ drive and you retrieve it from your W:\\ drive the macro will return "X:\\filename.xls" if your coworker runs it and "W:\\filename.xls" if you run it.

Alternatively, would referencing the ActiveWorkbook work?

Code:

With ActiveWorkbook
.BreakLink "Link_Name", xlLinkTypeExcelLinks
End With
This worked! Short and sweet.
Thanks!

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm tired today and can't think.

1) If you're plotting ROI figures over a year, would you use a linear trendline or logarithmic or one of the other options?

2) And is there any way to show the beginning value for the line and the end value?

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
How do you autofill a formula that pulls from multiple tabs? Like I want to add all the values in Cell A3 from 50 tabs and then all the values from cell B3 from 50 tabs and the all the values from Cell B3 from 50 tabs, and so on.

It won't let me just drag down the box and autofill.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
How do you autofill a formula that pulls from multiple tabs? Like I want to add all the values in Cell A3 from 50 tabs and then all the values from cell B3 from 50 tabs and the all the values from Cell B3 from 50 tabs, and so on.

It won't let me just drag down the box and autofill.

Type it like this:

=SUM(Sheet1:Sheet50!A3)

EDIT - Assuming the sheets are consecutive

You should be able to drag down. You just can't use that formula in cell A3 on Sheet 1 b/c then it would be referencing itself.

Are you sure there are no "$"s in the formula you are trying to use?

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah

1) If you're plotting ROI figures over a year, would you use a linear trendline or logarithmic or one of the other options?

2) And is there any way to show the beginning value for the line and the end value?

1 - I am not a banker. I have no idea.

2 - Not sure what you mean, but I would think you could just make another series based on the trendline, make it invisible, and use a label from one of the first points.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
Type it like this:

=SUM(Sheet1:Sheet50!A3)

EDIT - Assuming the sheets are consecutive

You should be able to drag down. You just can't use that formula in cell A3 on Sheet 1 b/c then it would be referencing itself.

Are you sure there are no "$"s in the formula you are trying to use?

There are $s....let me guess, that's a basic no-no?

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
There are $s....let me guess, that's a basic no-no?

It's a yes/no. They hold either the letter (column) or number (row) in place when you drag. They are especially useful if you're dragging right and then dragging the whole thing down or vice versa.

Also, if you reference a cell in a formula, try hitting F4 a few times after clicking the cell. It will toggle between the permutations of dollar signs.

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How can I check to see if a number is within an array? I.e. I'm trying to place quarterly payments by saying if the counter of the number of quarters that has gone by = a selection of quarters where a payment should be made, return me 1 (or the payment or whatever).

I've tried if(match(counter,list of quarters where expenses should be paid),1,0) and If(or(counter=list of quarters),1,0). The last one gives me the right answer if I highlight the equation and hit F9, but VALUE's out when I'm not hard calculating it. WTF.

Help!

snuffy

Reaction score
This will be an easy answer. (Need to improve Excel skills).

I have 6 worksheets with only two columns each. Column A has a listing of names, Column B has a listing of percentages corresponding to the names.

I need to add up the listing of Names(A) with the percentages across the 6 worksheets. Essentially consolidating into one. Keep in mind some of the same names appear in the 6 sheets, with different percentages.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

dsgNYC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by snuffy
This will be an easy answer. (Need to improve Excel skills).

I have 6 worksheets with only two columns each. Column A has a listing of names, Column B has a listing of percentages corresponding to the names.

I need to add up the listing of Names(A) with the percentages across the 6 worksheets. Essentially consolidating into one. Keep in mind some of the same names appear in the 6 sheets, with different percentages.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I'm not quite sure I understand what you're trying to accomplish. Are you trying to get a final list of only the unique names from column A and the sum of all of their corresponding percentages from column B across all 6 worksheets?

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dhc905
How can I check to see if a number is within an array? I.e. I'm trying to place quarterly payments by saying if the counter of the number of quarters that has gone by = a selection of quarters where a payment should be made, return me 1 (or the payment or whatever).

I've tried if(match(counter,list of quarters where expenses should be paid),1,0) and If(or(counter=list of quarters),1,0). The last one gives me the right answer if I highlight the equation and hit F9, but VALUE's out when I'm not hard calculating it. WTF.

Help!

I would need an example spreadsheet. If you zip one up and attach it, I might be able to help. I am trying but can't make sense of the question. Also PM me if you do so I don't miss it.

snuffy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dsgNYC
I'm not quite sure I understand what you're trying to accomplish. Are you trying to get a final list of only the unique names from column A and the sum of all of their corresponding percentages from column B across all 6 worksheets?

Yes. The final summary is list of unique names from A and the sum of the corresponding percentages. Any tips/excel functions I can look into?

Thanks

superego

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah

1. Depends on what you're trying to depict. In this case, I can't think of a good reason why you'd use a log-scale to plot ROI over a given year.

2. Like, a number over the first data point, none for those in the middle, and a number over the last data point? Whenever I've needed to do that, I've simply inserted the labels and then deleted those I didn't want. Alternatively, you could simply insert a text box into your plot showing the values you wish to display and move them to wear you want them.

dsgNYC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by snuffy
Yes. The final summary is list of unique names from A and the sum of the corresponding percentages. Any tips/excel functions I can look into?

Thanks

I don't know of any formula that'll automate the process of getting a list of unique values across multiple worksheets. VBA code could definitely automate this. Your issue is very simple to deal with in a database, but will require more complexity to complete in Excel.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics