• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the ewww thing i found when cleaning shoes

IsteRed

Reaction score
Hi guys i was cleaning my AE Parliaments today and i found somethng gross, for the last month or two they were stinking badly and i changed the insoles a few time and reduced wearing them for around once a week or even 2 weeks and today i was cleaning them, i took ot the insoles, i've put my hand in it in order to get them on my hand and felt something like dust,when i looked inside i saw blue fungi like you can see on cheese lots of them...what can i do? should i throw them out or is there a way to save them?

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yikes! Sounds pretty gross. Have you been using shoe trees? It seems like they are not drying out correctly.

Step 1: I would try wiping out the inside with a damp cloth and a water/bleach solution as bleach will kill mold. I would then leave them to air out in the sun for an afternoon.

Step 2: Invest in some quality shoe trees for all of your shoes and check their storage location. It seems they are being stored in a damp place. Fix that before you ruin more shoes.

Good luck!

IsteRed

Reaction score
Yep i have AE cedar shoe trees which i put in after each use, but the thing is because of specifics of my work there are days sometimes when i wear shoes for very long periods (up to 20 or even 24 hours) and have to be active, even running etc. so my feet sweat a lot, i think that may be the cause.

update: after finding that in parliaments i checked my other shoes and found fungi also in my AE Moras... :(
i'll try to upload photos tomorrow.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's probably not SF approved but maybe invest in a shoe dryer? Actually, I don't even know if they still make them - we have one that was my wife's grandfather's. I've never used it on dress shoes, but I use it on my running shoes, work boots, and casual shoes all the time and 30-45 minutes on that really does dry the insides out quite well and helps to get rid of the funk as well.

.Kurtz.

Reaction score
Not sure that the fungi stuff is solely on account of dampness. Spontaneous generation theory is no longer accepted, you know. Comprehensive disinfection might be a prerequisite.

Last edited:

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember when I was a kid, we lived in tropical countries and video tapes would get moldy due to the humidity. My dad installed a 20w lightbulb inside the video cabinent and left it on 24/7. The idea beaing that the dry heat of the lightbulb de-humidified the air. I remember it working and something like that may be worth a try.

As someone else mentioned, you may have a foot fungus so I would also get that checked out. Wearing your shoes for long hours should not cause this--especially if you have a good rotation.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

yarnsforth

Reaction score

Yep i have AE cedar shoe trees which i put in after each use, but the thing is because of specifics of my work there are days sometimes when i wear shoes for very long periods (up to 20 or even 24 hours) and have to be active, even running etc. so my feet sweat a lot, i think that may be the cause.
update: after finding that in parliaments i checked my other shoes and found fungi also in my AE Moras... :(
i'll try to upload photos tomorrow.

I envision a private eye, like Mannix.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oddly enough I suffered a similar problem. I went to a chemist an got a powder for clearing athletes foot. Just sprinkle a little inside the shoes after each wear and it'll clear up. I assume it has something to do with a strong fungacide.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You need a larger shoe rotation. The fungus/mold cannot grow or multiply in 24 hour shifts. No shoe should be worn more than once a week consistently.

Mold/Fungus cannot grow without consistent moisture.

How moist is your home and shoe storage area? If it is dry and your rotation large enough to prevent more than weekly wear I believe you will not have this problem.

Spray the insides of the shoes with lysol, and get athlete's foot powder to put into the shoes.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the early 2000s I had a recurring problem with AEs that were growing mold like you described. What happened is I would get caught in the rain and the soles were being soaked through. The next time I would pull the shoes out to wear, the whole area between the tip of the shoe tree and the toe of the shoe would then be filled with what looked like the green/blue mold that grows on bread. Despite identical treatment and conditions, it never happened with any of my other shoes that weren't Allen Edmunds, but it happened to every pair of Allen Edmunds (I believe it was three pairs of them, maybe four). It turned me off from AE for a long time. Of course now, thanks to Google, I have a much better idea of how to care for my shoes and if my shoes get caught in the rain, I use newspaper or paper towels to start the drying process and move to shoe trees only after they are reasonably dry. I no longer have any mold issues, even with my leather soled AEs.

Last edited:

IsteRed

Reaction score
WTF today i was cleaning my new shoes, that i bought a couple of months ago and was trying to wear only once a week, almost all of them have fungi in the bottom of the shoe... and i went to doctor and i was told i don't have foot fungi, i was using shoe trees, as soon as my feet were out of shoes shoe trees were in, i don't know what to do guys, please help me...

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where are the damned photos already?!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads