the ewww thing i found when cleaning shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by IsteRed, Jan 9, 2012.

1. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

I would start with not putting shoe trees in the shoes the second you take them off. Instead put some newspaper in there to suck up the moisture, and after about 24h put in the shoe trees. If THAT doesn't work, give up on shoes and get some of these:

[​IMG]

2. otc

otc Senior member

I started a thread on this a while back...

I couldn't find any anti-fungal powder at the drug store so I instead just wiped down the insides with some white vinegar (probably diluted 50/50 with water or something). Maybe I put it in a spray bottle...I can't remember.

Problem never came back...
    but if you are constantly wearing your shoes for 20+ hours, it might be worthwhile to let them dry a few minutes *before* you stick the trees in. The trees aren't sponges...they can help it dry in the right shape but they aren't going to suck a gallon of sweat out.

edit:
    To be clear, I think its important to make sure its all dead...especially if you might change shoes or swap around shoe trees and thereby move it around between shoes.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  3. js4design

js4design Senior member

[​IMG]

4. Snedley

Snedley Senior member

It's mildew and is caused by dampness and darkness. Clean them and when you're not wearing them keep them in a bright location not a dark closet because your feetobviously sweat a lot and the shoes are still damp when you put them away.