• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Essentials

Montresor

Reaction score
New member.....just starting to focus on putting together a proper gentleman's wardrobe. I'm literally just beginning down the path of sartorial splendor, so I could use an assist or two.....or twenty. Two caveats, both a bit unfortunate: I don't have a huge clothing budget, and I work in a universally business-casual atmosphere, so sadly, I don't find many occasions to wear business suits. But my goal is to be the best-dressed man in a dressed-down realm.

Staple, essential items I've gleaned so far.....

navy sportcoat
crisp white shirt
khakis
solid-color v-neck sweaters

Need pointers and suggestions onward from there, especially with the shoes. I've been told that I am a "winter" person, and that darker colors look best on me.

Thanks in advance for any help!

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Try picking up some well-made wool pants. Once you move them into your rotation, I think you'll finding them shouldering the khakis aside. More comfortable when they fit well, and they'll look a lot better. As far as shoes, what are you wearing now, and realistically what's in your budget? You probably want one versatile pair of brown shoes and one versatile black pair, and then you can branch out from there.
I take it you don't wear a tie on a daily basis? You probably should branch out into other shirt colors/patterns to add a bit of variety and color.

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
^^ What he said. It is important to know how much $$$ you are willing to spend on shoes. If your budget is 100-200, you are probably looking for deals on AEs. If you are higher at say 400, then this could open up possibilities for Tramezzas, C&J, just to mention a few . . .

Frittata

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Try picking up some well-made wool pants. Once you move them into your rotation, I think you'll finding them shouldering the khakis aside. More comfortable when they fit well, and they'll look a lot better. ...
Which brands do you suggest( preferrably with a pant that can be worn more casual)?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
many persons including I have thought that darker colors look good or better, but try some lighter, more colorful fare. recently my father-in-law sort of revamped his wardrobe replacing his old dark greys, old dark blues, navys, blacks in his closet with some fresher lighter colors and now he looks 10 years younger and more vibrant.

also,
the shoes, shoes. you gotta take note of your shoes and spend some good money there my friend.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Frittata
Which brands do you suggest( preferrably with a pant that can be worn more casual)?
Incotex and zanella make good-quality pants in a variety of pants that range from more casual cuts to more traditional business-formal styles. Some RL Polo pants are pretty decent, as are some Hickey-Freeman.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
also,
the shoes, shoes. you gotta take note of your shoes and spend some good money there my friend.

And if you're buying good-quality goodyear welted shoes and taking care of them, they'll last so much longer than the glued-sole monstosities out there that they're really the more economically sensible choice.

Ed13

Reaction score
Buy nice shoes! Classic styles like captoes with or w/o brogueing with a classic last shape are good examples. They can be dressed up or down and the style is timeless. Spend enough to get good construction and quality and they can last years.

Montresor

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips so far.

Shoes seem to be my biggest need right now. Could captoes be worn with khakis and jeans alike, or no? I'm looking for versatility, as I only envision myself having a rotation of 3-4 pairs. Anyone have photos of good candidates? Maybe a link to somewhere here on the forum?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
captoes are more traditionally utilized in business dress.

many people here (including I) find it strange for a patent shoe for formal evening events to be in a captoe.

captoes do not fare well with jeans as well.

there are blucher captoes that go well with dressed down business and casual fridays but

i would think a moc-toe or wingtip shoe is better for dress up /dress down versatility.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads