• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The End of the Sartorial Road

ruvort

Reaction score
Definitely. I pretty much only wear mine in a semi-industrial setting, and appreciate the rubber sole/laceless design. I do like the way they look with certain outfits, but in a way that I'm sure will feel stale soon.

Did they get it right? I've got a '60s Brooks Brothers button down that I tried to have replicated a few times in the past without luck. Having a newish shirtmaker try it, and I think this one will be a success. I haven't tried Mercer shirts, but Kamakura comes close to my ideal. OG Brooks Brothers has very light interfacing in the placket, which opens the collar up perfectly. Kamakura does not, and so the collar folds a bit. I also finally tracked down a source for a proper Oxford cotton. Blind feel tested with the '60s BB and couldn't pick one out from the other. Anyway, if this shirt situation works out, it might be where I stop getting any other shirts.

Would you be willing to share the source of the Oxford cotton?

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too true! I spend most of my holidays ski mountaineering, often living out of a tent in the middle of nowhere
I’m in month 4 of 12 of living out of these (mine is red while my wife’s is green) as we travel slowly around different parts of the world.
A53F340F-9F9C-4B41-AEC3-44310583D024.jpeg
B
But I’ll still pick up interesting pieces when I see them like this Brycelands heavy denim shirt that I found in Manila two days ago.
34E84864-4581-474D-BD04-21F3E0FC4A74.jpeg

And Despos and I as well as Tofani and I are working on some bespoke numbers. But for this leg of the trip I’m living in Patagonia, TNF, and Marmot. For me, context is everything.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely in a similar boat. Now that I have the basics (and then some) covered I only pick something up every 2 or 3 months.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought 2 Drake's ties at Sid Mashburn at 25% off. I believe this purchase has high utility in that it causes maximal StyFo dismay for both the "buy what you want at full price" demographic and the "wait for the 70% sale" demographic
w1079399.jpg
w1066227.jpg

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ambulance Chaser, it is NOT crazy talk. I imagine I'm older than you and I stopped shopping some years back ... with the exception of replacing basics that wear out. I don't regret it.

About a year ago I walked into a Barney's and the drab hit me hard. I found myself thinking what the hell happened to this place? Where did the color go? I guess several decades makes a difference. I realized I had not been in a Barney's since the Madison Avenue store opened.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do it for a couple of reasons that work well for me: I'm impulsive by nature, so it tempers me and serves as a self filter for some of my poorer 'shoot from the hip' fashion choices. I have bougie tastes and went from making very little to making above average in the past 5 years, so part of it is a vestige of when i had to actually save up for an item. most of my CM is MTM, so it helps me plan better seasonally considering the lead times. i'm actually still in the process of building my professional/adult wardrobe from my immediate post-college Jos Banks stuff so it helps me grow slow and apply lessons learned to later items. delayed gratification can be just as fun
Same here. I keep an Excel spreadsheet of my suits, sport coats, and outerwear with measurements. Spreadsheet keeps me from stupid impulse buys. I can also compare measurements of potential purchases to an item I already have to judge the likely fit.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My reduction aims are to get rid of stuff I don't wear and/or don't like, and keep the things I wear and I like. That's it. I'm not interested in 'minimalism' or austerity or having just three colours or creating a uniform or any of that.
I find myself CM-sated. I wear suits 5 days a week but have enough to last forever I think. Just did a big @SpooPoker -aimed cull over the summer and will likely do another to move stuff I love but am not wearing. Moving strictly to a replacement-only model. I'll still spring for the odd, enticing buy or commission but have pulled back considerably. Money is now better spent traveling, diving, skiing and such.

CM stuff, apart from white dress shirts, seems to last forever. I've only had two suits wear out since I started dressing like an adult in 2007.

Last edited:

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I realized I had not been in a Barney's since the Madison Avenue store opened.
Whoa... 1993... I remember all the press about it well.

@smittycl , don't you feel the call of the #steez? The next creative twist? A certain tie that eludes you? A dressing gown? The perfectly sized OTC socks? The Edward Green special order? The temptation never really goes away...

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whoa... 1993... I remember all the press about it well.

@smittycl , don't you feel the call of the #steez? The next creative twist? A certain tie that eludes you? A dressing gown? The perfectly sized OTC socks? The Edward Green special order? The temptation never really goes away...
Oh, I feel the pull! Just need to exercise some discipline and focus on stuff I really love rather than just like. I think clothes will remain my hobby but within limits. Maybe some EG loafers or something like that! ;) Heading to Paris soon and will likely be magnetically pulled into Charvet...

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

A great philosopher once said:

"Saying you are done buying clothes is like saying you are done receiving blow jobs"

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sage observation. Will just endeavor to be slower on the trigger and be judicious. At least about the clothes...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads